Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dems Say Rove Should Apologize Or Resign

Dems Say Rove Should Apologize Or Resign

I simply cannot stand Karl Rove.

Taken from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050623/...us/rove_speech

Dems Say Rove Should Apologize or Resign By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 20 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - White House adviser Karl Rove should either apologize or resign for saying liberals responded to the Sept. 11 terrorist strikes by wanting to "prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers," Democrats said Thursday.

Adding to the rancor, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., suggested that Republican charges that Democrats were undermining the war on terror with their criticism of administration policies amounted to an act of desperation.

"The president wanted to go to Iraq in the worst possible way and he did," Pelosi said. "The president is on the ropes."

Rove, Bush's chief political adviser, said in a speech Wednesday that "liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers." Conservatives, he told the New York state Conservative Party just a few miles north of Ground Zero, "saw the savagery of 9/11 and the attacks and prepared for war."

Rove said the Democratic Party made the mistake of calling for "moderation and restraint" after the terrorist attacks.

Democrats were quick to respond — and in growing numbers.

"Karl Rove should immediately and fully apologize for his remarks or he should resign," Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in a statement. "I hope the president will join me in repudiating these remarks."

Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean called on Bush to "show some leadership and unequivocally repudiate Rove's divisive and damaging political rhetoric."

During a Senate hearing on Iraq in which Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and other military leaders testified, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y., read Rove's statement and urged them to reject the remarks.

"I would hope that you and other members of the administration would immediately repudiate such an insulting comment from a high-ranking official in the president's inner circle," Clinton said.

Earlier in the day, Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y., said New York has had unity since Sept. 11. "To inject politics into this and to defame a large number of people" is outrageous, he said. "It's not what New York and America is all about."

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (news, bio, voting record), D-N.J., said nearly 3,000 Americans died on Sept. 11 and "we should not dishonor their memory by using that tragic day for political trash talk."

Three days after the terrorist attacks, the Senate voted 98-0 and the House voted 420-1 for a resolution authorizing Bush to use "all necessary and appropriate force" against those responsible for the terrorism. After the votes, Bush said in a statement: "I am gratified that the Congress has united so powerfully by taking this action. It sends a clear message — our people are together, and we will prevail."

During the 2004 campaign, Bush dismissed the notion of negotiating with terrorists and said, "You can't sit back and hope that somehow therapy will work and they will change their ways."

On Wednesday, Rove also denounced Sen. Dick Durbin's comments comparing interrogation at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp to the methods of Nazis and other repressive regimes. He said the statements have been broadcast throughout the Middle East, putting U.S. troops in greater danger. The Illinois Democrat has since apologized for the remarks.

"No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals," Rove said.

Seven House Republicans also wrote Pelosi saying they were shocked by a statement in which she said the war in Afghanistan was over. "Messages like yours could demoralize our troops and undermine our efforts to fight terrorism in Afghanistan and around the world," they wrote.

Pelosi, who made the comment at a news conference where Democrats called for an investigation into detainee abuses at Guantanamo Bay, said Thursday that she was referring to the campaign to drive the Taliban from power in 2001. Fighting continues, she said, because the administration decided to divert its attention from Afghanistan to the war in Iraq.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dems Say Rove Should Apologize Or Resign

Howard Dean condemned "divisive and damaging political rhetoric."
    Hey, I'm not defending Rove's comments, but they were pretty mild compared to some of Dean's recent statements. Dean reminds me of a non-charming version of Claude Rains' character in "Casablanca" being shocked to find gambling going on just before he receives his winnings.
    I'd like to see some reasoned and civil rhetoric from both politcal camps, but then I'm also hoping for a competent Reds front office, without really expecting either.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Howard Dean condemned "divisive and damaging political rhetoric."
    Good point, that is kind of funny. Actually, the thing I like about Dean is that he's so good at divisive and damaging political rhetoric. He's the only Dem with a counterpunch these days.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I wish there was a viable third party that had the best interests of the nation as its first and only priority.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I wish there was a viable third party that had the best interests of the nation as its first and only priority.
    If you take out the viable part then I got a party for ya: Libertarian Party

Unfortunately I don't see a third party ever making a splash come November.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    If you take out the viable part then I got a party for ya: Libertarian Party

Unfortunately I don't see a third party ever making a splash come November.
    Man, if the Libs had their way social programs might darn well disappear completely. That's the problem with a political philosophy dependant upon the least amount of government possible.

I happen to think the Green Party is the party which most closely espouses the "best interests" ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Good point, that is kind of funny. Actually, the thing I like about Dean is that he's so good at divisive and damaging political rhetoric. He's the only Dem with a counterpunch these days.
    Yeah, he's the Democratic equivalent of much of the Bush Administration. Kind of funny, really.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Point is, Rove should apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Point is, Rove should apologize.
    But he won't, because if you question the Iraq war, you are unpatriotic and hate America and its freedoms. You don't expect him to apologize for being patriotic, do you?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

But he won't, because if you question the Iraq war, you are unpatriotic and hate America and its freedoms. You don't expect him to apologize for being patriotic, do you?
    Well his president's approval rating is about 42% right now, so I hope he doesn't apologize to tell you the truth. Would love to see him in the mid-30s.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Yeah, he's the Democratic equivalent of much of the Bush Administration. Kind of funny, really.
    I'd argue there's a capable and dutiful public servant under the pugilism with Dean. He's got some political principles worth admiration, IMO.

FWIW, I give the Bushies credit for being able to dish it out. They'll go bare knuckles with anyone ... which gets back to why I think Dean's become a necessity for the Dems. Everyone else in his party is cowering under the tables at the bar fight.

Had Dean and Bush been the two main candidates last November perhaps the nation could have gotten the rumble it needs. IMO, we're not moving forward until this latent hostility gets activated.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

For a Level Playing Field

Pure politics. Rove and Dean. I do not get upset by their comments. I make up my own mind about issues and other things. Karl Rove does not make up my mind for me. And I hope Howard Dean does not make up the minds of those who have differing views than myself.

The real problem is people who believe everything they hear from these mouthpieces. Or from Hollywood types. Or from oil tycoon types. Or whomever.

Freedom of speech, eh? Like burning the flag. Karl, Howard and Rep. Nancy Pelosi have the same rights. And so do we. Speak your own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Freedom of speech, eh? Like burning the flag. Karl, Howard and Rep. Nancy Pelosi have the same rights. And so do we. Speak your own mind.
    The problem is there are many in the Bush administration who would love to stop us from doing just that.

Commentary from the Moderate Voice
    (http://www.themoderatevoice.com/posts/1119549666)

Let me get this straight: Republicans who were upset over the over-the-top remarks of Senator Richard Durbin and the pungent comments of Senator Harry Reid are now defending Karl Rove accusing liberals and Democrats of not wanting to fight terrorism -- and in effect wanting to see American troops die?
    Can there be any doubt that this White House and administration have no desire to work for national unity, even on issue of terrorism? It's MO seems to be division and polarization -- whipping up rage against defined enemies...which now apparently include those who compete with it at the ballot box .. .

. . . Some questions for Mr. Rove:

So our military forces are composed ONLY of Republicans? Only Republicans have died on the battlefield? There were no Democrats, no independents? No one who gave their life for our country was ever a liberal? Do they have to be Rush Limbaugh listeners to go to the front lines?

. . . We did a search and can't find Democrats having suggested a visit to Dr. Laura. When did anyone suggest counseling for terrorists or Sadaam -- or anything remotely suggesting a touchy-feely approach to terrorism? After 911 there was bipartisan unity. Even on the Iraq war, the administration got lots of Democrats to go along with them.

. . . {T}he White House is backing his comments -- which means this is how they feel: that the Democrats are soft on terrorism and want to see American troops harmed.

20th century McCarthyism seems to have been replaced by 21st century Rove-ism.
    Me: It's worked so far, apparently.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    The problem is there are many in the Bush administration who would love to stop us from doing just that.
    I think that is a matter of interpretation. Not sure if you mean the Patriot Act, this new flag burning thing or something else.

Not to single you out, register... but have you lost any freedoms today that you once had before Pres. G.W. Bush and his administration? The only one I can think of for myself is getting on a plane quicker.

Turn Off Ads?