Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dems Say Rove Should Apologize Or Resign

Re: Dems Say Rove Should Apologize Or Resign

The verbal strike he aimed at liberals and liberalism during a speech to the New York Conservative Party on Wednesday night came straight out of the direct-mail manual: pithy, provocative and designed to energize one side by torching the other.
    When speaking to one's constituency, that is what you do. And both sides have, and will continue, to do so.

The sharp ideological divisions in the country has risen to new heights with there sharp tongues, rhetoric, sensationalism, and verbal, public volleys at each other.

And when one side says something that the other dislikes/detests, they get their shorts all in a bunch and want an apology or a resignation. I find it all laughable, yet this is what it has come down to.

I don't agree with Rove's statements, no more then when I hear Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Dick Durbin, Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, or anyone else from the Democrats throwing out their viscious labels and rhetoric over the last 5 years.

The Dems think Rove should apologize or resign for saying liberals responded to the Sept. 11 terrorist strikes by wanting to "prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers".... yet it has been perfectly OK for them, over these last several years to label Bush as a Fascist, his policies Nazism, compare him to Hitler, Pol Pot, or Stalin, and that he is the world's greatest terrorist.

Sure the Dems want Rove out. He was the key architect for their defeats in 2000 and 2004. His startegy, in the dirty world of politics, outplayed and outsmarted them. I don't expect any Dem to like Rove anymore then a Repub liked Terry McAuliife or current head Howard Dean. That is how the game is played.

I think in the next election I'll vote Independent - Is David Letterman or Jay Leno running? At least when they make pithy political comments the people laugh.

Thick skin people - thick skin.

As I stated before, and both parties are guilty of it - it's all about achieving power, holding onto it, and once it's lost, doing/saying anything to get it back.

Both sides are very poor losers.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-26-2005 at 06:22 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    When speaking to one's constituency, that is what you do. And both sides have, and will continue, to do so.

The sharp ideological divisions in the country has risen to new heights with there sharp tongues, rhetoric, sensationalism, and verbal, public volleys at each other.

And when one side says something that the other dislikes/detests, they get their shorts all in a bunch and want an apology or a resignation. I find it all laughable, yet this is what it has come down to.

I don't agree with Rove's statements, no more then when I hear Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, Dick Durbin, Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy, or anyone else from the Democrats throwing out their viscious labels and rhetoric over the last 5 years.

The Dems think Rove should apologize or resign for saying liberals responded to the Sept. 11 terrorist strikes by wanting to "prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers".... yet it has been perfectly OK for them, over these last several years to label Bush as a Fascist, his policies Nazism, compare him to Hitler, Pol Pot, or Stalin, and that he is the world's greatest terrorist.

I think in the next election I'll vote Independent - Is David Letterman or Jay Leno running? At least when they make pithy political comments the people laugh.

Thick skin people - thick skin.

As I stated before, and both parties are guilty of it - it's all about achieving power, holding onto it, and once it's lost, doing/saying anything to get it back.

Both sides are very poor losers.
    I never ask for apologies. And I think it's stupid when anyone in politics asks for one.

When I'm right, I'm right, and nothing the guy in the wrong can say much matters to me. I generally can blast it out of the water anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I never ask for apologies. And I think it's stupid when anyone in politics asks for one.

When I'm right, I'm right, and nothing the guy in the wrong can say much matters to me. I generally can blast it out of the water anyway.
    And visa versa FCB - visa versa.

I wasn't speaking to you personally anyway, but in generalities. What does the title of this thread say?.... "Dems Say Rove Should Apologize or Resign".

They want Rove to resign. Kennedy wants Rumsfield to resign.

It could just as easily say "Repubs Say Dean Should Apologize or Resign".

It's pointless and unproductive IMO.

I know a lot of New Yorkers who didn't think 9/11 was all that funny. At least the parents of my two friends who died at the WTC didn't think so. And as hardcore liberals they didn't think Rove's comments were all that "pithy" or funny either. In fact I don't know any New Yorkers who wanted to offer therapy or understanding to OBL, we just wanted him dead. And we blame Rove's people for the fact that 2 1/2 years later, he isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    I know a lot of New Yorkers who didn't think 9/11 was all that funny. At least the parents of my two friends who died at the WTC didn't think so. And as hardcore liberals they didn't think Rove's comments were all that "pithy" or funny either. In fact I don't know any New Yorkers who wanted to offer therapy or understanding to OBL, we just wanted him dead. And we blame Rove's people for the fact that 2 1/2 years later, he isn't.
    It is interesting to note that Rove accuses Dems of being lax about wanting to catch Bin laden, yet the very people tasked with doing it, now nearly 4 years later, still have come up empty.

Very interesting indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    I don't think Rove's comments were funny or appropriate either. But again - look at WHO he is speaking in front of? You appease your base. It's like a pepper rally. You don't shoot at cheerleaders. Some are trying to make such a big deal out of it. Where's that defense of free speech and the right to dissent? Is it only certain types of dissent that we are to protect (that which we agree with)?

Is it any different from Howard Dean or Hillary Clinton (who just gave a speech recently and visciously attacked Republicans and Bush with various rhetoric) speaking before their base and doing/saying similar things? And it's been going on for the last 5 years also.

You stated earlier that you have a deep hatred for guys like Hannity, Limbaugh, and other conservative commentators. Personally, I don't listen to any of them. They're entertainers as far as I'm concerned. They have their jobs for the shock value.

And it's the same with guys like Al Franken, Michael Moore, and Bill Maher. I've never heard Franken. He can't seem to get on enough airwaves, at least not in this area, for me to ever listen to Air America

But I like to watch Maher's show on late night cable. I don't agree with him from an ideological standpoint (maybe if I smoked a couple dubies before watching I'd understand better); but I find him (and his guests) entertaining.

I've seen Moore's last two movies, and just shake my head and laugh. Truth is obvious blind to him. But it makes him a nice living.

But I don't HATE any of them. And I find that with some liberals, their anger and hate is so driven that they are gonna either pop a blood vessel some day or if they see any of these guys in public they'll want to pull a Squeaky Fromme.

So both sides have those that drive/fuel their audience.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-28-2005 at 08:54 AM.

But I don't HATE any of them.
    You obviously have no future here. Can't you call somebody a Nazi or something, just to fit in?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

But again - look at WHO he is speaking in front of? You appease your base. It's like a pepper rally. You don't shoot at cheerleaders.
    So this what the GOP faithful are reduced to for motivation? Pitifull.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Man Pills

But I don't HATE any of them. And I find that with some liberals, their anger and hate is so driven that they are gonna either pop a blood vessel some day or if they see any of these guys in public they'll want to pull a Squeaky Fromme.

So both sides have those that drive/fuel their audience.
    Unlike most conservatives, I don't own a gun and I eschew violence. So you needn't worry that my rage will have lethal consequences...yet.

Turn Off Ads?