Turn Off Ads?

Thread: To my fellow pedal hounds and biking gurus out there

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

To my fellow pedal hounds and biking gurus out there

The Tour de France is fast approaching.

I had set a deadline a few months back of my build a bike project of being complete before the Tour de France.

Sadly, I'm running out of days and I'm still not finished.

Need some advice, from fellow bikers out there in the

Has anyone switched to the newer Disc style brakes out there now?
    Any recommendations about pedals?

Here's the lowdown.

A few months back, a good friend had a roommate skip out on rent. In his haste to leave, he left a few boxes, and out on the porch, a mountain bike. My friend doesn't bike, but he offered it to me, so I kept it, as a project. It's a Schwinn frame. At first I was inclined to just dump the whole thing, but looking closer at the frame and the forks, the only reason I kept it was it's solid T6061 alumimun tubing on the frame, not a hint of rust, and the welds are all in great shape. It came with a set of Rock Shox front forks, also in good shape. That 6061 alum is tough stuff, we use it at work all the time in different tempers, so I know it isn't a cheap frame.

After that, it's gets worse. Every other usable component, with the exception of the rear derailer, and the brake levers were unusable, rusted or just cheap.

So I've been rebuilding it. I've added an SRAM 9 speed cassette, along with a new chain. I've added two new sprockets, as well as a Shimano front derailer.

I bought some Michelin UST tires, and picked up from REI two new 26" wheels with new hubs. I've replaced the stem and the handlebars.

What's remaining is the brakes, the seat, the pedals, new cables to route around the bike, and to give it an inaugural ride.

And I have less than a week

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: To my fellow pedal hounds and biking gurus out there

Sound like a lot of work. But after you've rebuilt one, you never forget.

Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?