Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for some crow

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Time for some crow

for myself.

Just saw Greg Oden has committed to Ohio St on ESPNNEWS. The announcement will be made next week.

This gives tOSU arguably the best recruiting class in the nation depending on how the rest shapes out. They already have the no 8 prospect according to scout.com in Daequan Cook, and no 21 in David Lighty.

Congratulations to Ohio St on winning the Oden sweepstakes. Now for the question of the day, what are they paying him?

Ok...I'll shut up now
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Time for some crow

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    for myself.

Just saw Greg Oden has committed to Ohio St on ESPNNEWS. The announcement will be made next week.

This gives tOSU arguably the best recruiting class in the nation depending on how the rest shapes out. They already have the no 8 prospect according to scout.com in Daequan Cook, and no 21 in David Lighty.

Congratulations to Ohio St on winning the Oden sweepstakes. Now for the question of the day, what are they paying him?

Ok...I'll shut up now
    Education, room and board. That coming from a fan of that bastion of ethical conduct in college athletics you have in your avatar? Interesting
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

According to this story Oden still has not offically committed to Ohio State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2094297

Greg Oden's commitment to Ohio State hasn't occurred just yet, despite what the Indianapolis Star reported Friday morning in a story quoting an anonymous source.

Oden, a 7-footer who will be a senior Lawrence (Ind.) North, had been considered a possible No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft until an NBA rule change this week requiring players to be at least one year out of high school to be drafted.

Oden's AAU coach, Mike Conley Sr., told ESPN.com that Oden hasn't committed to anyone. Conley Sr. said Oden hasn't told any coach of his intentions just yet. A source close to Wake Forest confirmed that the Demon Deacons' staff was told that no decision was made.

Conley's son, Mike Jr., a teammate on the AAU Spiece Indy Heat as well as at Lawrence North High (Ind.), still hasn't committed anywhere, either. Conley Sr. said Oden's finalists remain Ohio State, Wake Forest, Indiana and Michigan State. He said his son's finalists are Ohio State and Wake Forest.

Conley Sr. said the pair are expected to make an announcement next week. Conley Sr. said he wouldn't rule out a commitment to Ohio State but wanted to underscore that it hasn't happened yet.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Doesn't sound like he'll stay long, though. Shades of Carmelo Anthony?
    OSU could be near recruiting gold rush
    Oden, teammate reportedly leaning toward commitment
    Saturday, June 25, 2005
    Jonathan Kay
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

In 1991, Michigan landed a basketball recruiting class that became known as the Fab Five.

A similarly heralded group might land in Columbus in 2006.

It is not a done deal, but based on a coach’s hunch and published reports, Indianapolis high-school junior Greg Oden, a 7-foot center and the national player of the year, is prepared to commit to Ohio State and coach Thad Matta.

His point guard since sixth grade, Mike Conley, another player regarded near the top of the national class of 2006, is expected to join him, according to a story in yesterday’s Indianapolis Star.

"I do know that the sentiment is high, and I’m 99.9 percent (sure) they’re gonna be Buckeyes before June or July is over," said Al Powell, the players’ assistant coach for the AAU Spiece Indy Heat. "I cannot confirm it. I haven’t heard from Thad or (assistant coach John) Groce or any of the boys, so I don’t know."

Oden was unavailable for comment, and his mother, Zoe, declined to speak about the report. Conley’s mother, Regina, said her son also was unavailable and that the family is not speaking publicly about the Star’s story.

The players "have plans to have a press conference at some point within the next week or two to make a decision," she said.

So there is no decision? "No decision until the press conference," she said.

Previously, Oden was projected as the No. 1 pick in the 2006 NBA draft. But with the terms of the collective-bargaining agreement struck this week between the league and the players’ union, American players must be one year out of high school before they become draft-eligible. Oden, however, always had maintained that he planned to play in college.

"People won’t believe that now, but he was headed to college," Powell said. "If you talk to Greg, Greg always feels that he’s not ready yet, or that he needs work. What I love about him is that he’s a humble kid, and he doesn’t really realize how advanced he is."

That does not mean, however, that Oden will be a Buckeye for four years. "No way," Powell said.

In his junior season, Oden averaged 20 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.7 blocked shots for Lawrence North High School. Conley averaged 10.7 points and five assists. While Oden is ranked first in his class by national scouting organizations, Conley is ranked 20 th by recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons’ All-Star Sports Report and 26 th by Scout.com.

The high-school teammates would join their AAU shooting guard Daequan Cook (ranked sixth by Gibbons) and Cleveland guard Dave Lighty (12 th) to form a group that draws comparisons with Michigan’s Fab Five freshmen of 1991. That group featured future NBA stars Chris Webber, Juwan Howard and Jalen Rose.

"I don’t like to compare anything to a Fab Five, but these kids are gonna make a great impact," Powell said. "It’s going to be Christmas in either June or July, whenever they make this announcement."

After narrowing their options to four schools, Oden and Conley were down to two finalists, Ohio State and Wake Forest. Powell said Matta and his familiar system put Ohio State on the players’ radar.

"We’ve brought them up under a similar system in AAU — open court, pro-type style, inside-out, run the floor," Powell said. "And (Ohio State’s) style is conducive to the way they’re used to playing. They’re going into a system where the adaptation shouldn’t be too hard."

And the two always have wanted to play with each other and would like to continue playing with Cook, Powell said.

"These kids have been playing together since the sixth grade, and Daequan’s been playing with them since the seventh grade," Powell said. "I think they made their mind up a long time ago that if they had the opportunity . . . It’s a rare case to have this many good kids that like each other."
    /r/reds

He'll be there 1 year and then its off to the NBA.

Great news for the Buckeyes! They're my second favorite team

By the way...whatever happened to the Michigan basketball program? :ughmamoru

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Education, room and board. That coming from a fan of that bastion of ethical conduct in college athletics you have in your avatar? Interesting
    The interesting thing is that some of those bastions of ethical conduct in college athletics have been much better at pulling the covers over the NCAA's eyes than others. Big money buys bigger blankets.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Even if he's there for just a year, it is a good thing all around for tOSU. I am sure Syracuse would take Melo's sole season in retrospect. Cook seems to be doing a good job "recruiting" - and some of these guys, if they actually DO sign in the fall, will be around for more then a year and those guys will help the program in the areas such as some sustained continuity that Oden will not. But either way it is a positive if he comes to Columbus. The level of talent will have been raised.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    He'll be there 1 year and then its off to the NBA.
    I'm sure someone will be delighted for a 1 year rental of OJ Mayo in two years.
    "Hyperbole is the greatest thing ever" Redsland

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red
    They can be happy all they want, but they are only going to college 1 year because they have to, not because they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513
    They can be happy all they want, but they are only going to college 1 year because they have to, not because they want to.
    Is that not the case with every college athlete?

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Red
    Rumors in the paper he is considering Uc for that one year, even with Hugs on the bubble. Could UC be a powerhouse in the Big East because of it?
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Something new that popped up last night on the NBA Draft Special was a firm called IMG. Basically, kids with below average grades can sign with this firm straight out of high school, and they will work with you on perfecting your game so you can enter the draft the next year.

Seems like somebody is already trying to beat the system.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    Rumors in the paper he is considering Uc for that one year, even with Hugs on the bubble. Could UC be a powerhouse in the Big East because of it?
    Could be that UC could reap the benefits of a Greg Oden-Mike Conley package. I could very easily see Mayo and Bill Walker wearing Bearcat uniforms in a couple of years.

Good luck to the kids, wherever they land.

But as someone who grew up in Columbus and graduated from Wake, I must say that picking OSU is somewhat of a head-scratcher. Especially when Conely Jr. was so open about Wake being his leader for so long.

This part also has me scratching my head.

After narrowing their options to four schools, Oden and Conley were down to two finalists, Ohio State and Wake Forest. Powell said Matta and his familiar system put Ohio State on the players’ radar.

"We’ve brought them up under a similar system in AAU — open court, pro-type style, inside-out, run the floor," Powell said. "And (Ohio State’s) style is conducive to the way they’re used to playing. They’re going into a system where the adaptation shouldn’t be too hard."

So the kids want to run up & down the court, eh? Here's a link to the top team offenses for the recently concluded '04-'05 season.

One of their two finalists is up near the top. The other isn't anywhere to be seen.

Turn Off Ads?