Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kearns' Weight

Re: Kearns' Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Hey as I listed while starting this thread, the Reds (ie O'Brien) said that he was 255 when they sent him down. That's where the number came from and it's their job to know what their players weigh at all times. The number did not come from ST. You better believe I'd be putting him on the scale...
    I meant the number listed on the roster (the 245), not the 255. I don't know where the 245 came from, ie when he was at that weight.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    do you guys think kearns is done here?
    A week ago, my answer would have been "I hope so." I am encouraged by his renewed commitment to improvement in Louisville and if it continues, would hope that he stays.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    A week ago, my answer would have been "I hope so." I am encouraged by his renewed commitment to improvement in Louisville and if it continues, would hope that he stays.

Link? RE: Encouraged Committment to improvement in lousiville?

where did you get this from?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Link? RE: Encouraged Committment to improvement in lousiville?
    where did you get this from?
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36968
    /r/reds

This regime has a tough time getting past its perceptions and seeing reality.

Imagine AK suddenly blossoms into a .950 OPS monster like Dunn. You might think the FO would be thrilled and bring AK up and the rivers would flow with honey.

But then you might recall that this organization thinks .950 OPS monster Adam Dunn is a #7 hitter. That being the case, what kind of numbers would AK have to put up to win some converts in the FO? 1.200? 1.500?

Perception: Dunn is a #6/7 hitter who should sit against lefties.
    Perception: Griffey is a center fielder.
    Perception: Casey is our most productive hitter.
    Perception: Coffey can’t be trusted.
    Perception: Ortiz can.
    Perception: Aurilia is a top-of-the-order hitter.

Perception: Austin Kearns can’t get it done.

All of these perceptions clearly exist and all of them could be easily disposed of with a glance at a scouting report or stat sheet. But this FO can’t seem to take that simple step.

So, yes, I do think AK is finished here, simply because he’s in the FO’s doghouse, and this FO isn’t good at changing its mind, even when there’s plenty of evidence that it should.

Of course, AK could thrive here again. But that will only happen if this FO gets kicked to the curb.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I hope not.

I've been a big Kearns supporter for years, and I still think he's going to put it all together and be a force on whatever team he plays for. I want that team to be the Reds.

However, I do worry that this FO just doesn't like Kearns, for whatever reasons, and would let him go somewhere else. I know DanO has said he has no intent of trading Kearns ... I hope that's true. (Even though Kearns has nowhere to play on this team right now.)

A lot of people seem to view Kearns as the odd man out on this team and propose trading him and keeping Dunn and Pena. For whatever reason, I've never been able to get on board with the Pena part. I get that Pena has all the power in the world, but that's all I see from him right now. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. So many people think Pena has unlimited potential ... and maybe he does, and I'm totally wrong. I tend to think he has limited potential, and I think he is a liability in the field. I know Kearns has struggled, but I think he has much more of a chance of being a true complete player (cliche as it is) than Pena does.

Dunn needs to do a better job with runner on base.There is no way F. Lopez should have more RBI than A.Dunn.
    This is another tired argument.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Cruisin' for trouble

Actually, my perception is that Kearns probably did react badly to the demotion, as he has been shown to do in the past.

It's likely that Kearns received some sage advice (from his agent?) indicating that he was killing his future earnings potential by becoming Jose Guillen II. Credit Kearns for taking the advice and applying it - so far.

The question is the future. Kearns hasn't been Kearns for so long, I'm sure even he had doubts that he was as good as the hype. Seems that the AAA pitching has helped restore at least some of the confidence that he must have to be successful.

Kearns certainly has the potential to be a star in the majors. My only fear is that he is going the long route in getting there. Hopefully THIS is the wake-up call he needed to get back in the groove and he realizes that potential with the Reds and not with his fourth or fifth team, a la Guillen.

For now, I'm still a bit doubtful. If he comes in next spring having maintained a good workout program, then I'll change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    I hope not.

I've been a big Kearns supporter for years, and I still think he's going to put it all together and be a force on whatever team he plays for. I want that team to be the Reds.

However, I do worry that this FO just doesn't like Kearns, for whatever reasons, and would let him go somewhere else. I know DanO has said he has no intent of trading Kearns ... I hope that's true. (Even though Kearns has nowhere to play on this team right now.)

A lot of people seem to view Kearns as the odd man out on this team and propose trading him and keeping Dunn and Pena. For whatever reason, I've never been able to get on board with the Pena part. I get that Pena has all the power in the world, but that's all I see from him right now. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. So many people think Pena has unlimited potential ... and maybe he does, and I'm totally wrong. I tend to think he has limited potential, and I think he is a liability in the field. I know Kearns has struggled, but I think he has much more of a chance of being a true complete player (cliche as it is) than Pena does.
    My thoughts exactly... glad someone is more eloquent than me...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    This regime has a tough time getting past its perceptions and seeing reality.

Imagine AK suddenly blossoms into a .950 OPS monster like Dunn. You might think the FO would be thrilled and bring AK up and the rivers would flow with honey.

But then you might recall that this organization thinks .950 OPS monster Adam Dunn is a #7 hitter. That being the case, what kind of numbers would AK have to put up to win some converts in the FO? 1.200? 1.500?

Perception: Dunn is a #6/7 hitter who should sit against lefties.
    Perception: Griffey is a center fielder.
    Perception: Casey is our most productive hitter.
    Perception: Coffey can’t be trusted.
    Perception: Ortiz can.
    Perception: Aurilia is a top-of-the-order hitter.

Perception: Austin Kearns can’t get it done.

All of these perceptions clearly exist and all of them could be easily disposed of with a glance at a scouting report or stat sheet. But this FO can’t seem to take that simple step.

So, yes, I do think AK is finished here, simply because he’s in the FO’s doghouse, and this FO isn’t good at changing its mind, even when there’s plenty of evidence that it should.

Of course, AK could thrive here again. But that will only happen if this FO gets kicked to the curb.
    Can we send a copy of this to the powers that be?

Whay, oh why, do the humble (yet brilliant) posters at Redszone seem to understand the issues so much better than the current front office.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Whay, oh why, do the humble (yet brilliant) posters at Redszone seem to understand the issues so much better than the current front office.
    Modest. Brilliant yet modest.

Makes all the routine posts.

dont get rid of kearns!!!! ever.....

I think just as many have advocated getting rid of Dunn or Pena. And still others have wanted to get rid of Jr. or Casey.

I think you're right about Pena. I also think what we see is what we're going to get from Pena. Ungodly power, great speed, a howitzer for an arm that is pretty accurate. However, his defense is atrocious. He can make the big play every once in a while though but his instincts are bad. It hasn't helped that the Reds didn't have a full time OF instructor on staff for the last year and a half. I just don't think he's really going to get that much better defensively. I don't think he's ever going to hit for a high average and he's going to strike out a bunch. If you accept him for that, you shouldn't have any problems with Pena.

A lot of Reds fans see Kearns as he was when he first came up and what he did 2 years ago before Ray King sat on him. Truly a 5 tool player with great plate discipline as well. Of course injuries have set him back. I don't think he's ever been a workout freak though. I remember listening to him on the radio during RedsFest after his first year and they asked him what he did during the offseason. He said that he basically played PlayStation. That isn't a big deal in and of itself but lately you have to wonder if that is all he does during the winter. He has gained weight the last couple of years. I would think some of it is muscle but some could be fat. Even if it is all muscle, is it necessary for him to be that big? He had power before he gained that weight. Then there are the attitude questions. Even before DanO got here he didn't react well to being sent down to the minors. Perhaps DanO hasn't exactly been his biggest backer but what has Kearns done since DanO has been here. To his credit, Kearns did give the 3rd base transition a go. That gives him major points attitude wise in my book. But he still hasn't produced this season. Even some of his biggest supporters has said he's out of shape and isn't the defensive player he once was. When he got regular playing time this year he hasn't produced. He didn't pull anything with power. That could be the aftereffects of the shoulder injury as Casey had a similar injury and he didn't pull anything with power till last season. He seems to have taken his latest demotion as well as could be expected and is hitting well in LOU.

I don't think it's necesarily a choice between Pena and Kearns. I think it's a judgement whether Kearns will once again be the player he was pre-Ray King or if he's going to be what he is now. That is a decision that a GM is paid well to make and it's a decision that his reputation is going to either be made or broken on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

just keep kearns around long term....he'll be a player I garuntee it. Isn't he hitting great a AAA now? I think he's just gotta get into shape and get some confidence back. No better way to do it then by tearing up triple AAA pitching and running a little bit

I meant the number listed on the roster (the 245), not the 255. I don't know where the 245 came from, ie when he was at that weight.
    I think he looked heavy when he reported to ST. So I think the goal should be to get back to where he was three years ago regardless of wher he was in March.

Turn Off Ads?