Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm no fan of Matt Lauer, even though he is a follow Bobcat, but I thought Cruise was really a jerk in that interview.
    Yeah, remember, Lauer got his degree from OU (finally)... when he came back to speak at graduation.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I wonder what Kelsey Grammer has to say about this?

Perhaps Alan Alda or Mike Farrell will want to chime in. Maybe the dude who played Winchester is available for a very special edition of Larry King Live.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Let's not forget Billy Ray Cyrus. I really want to know what he thinks.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Yeah, remember, Lauer got his degree from OU (finally)... when he came back to speak at graduation.
    That's when he made his now famous "towel under the door" comment.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I'm waiting for Roseanne Barr's take on all of this.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Yes that's the hub bub from last weekend, BTW I have heard about Cruise for the past 18 years, from different people in the film community.
    I've heard rumors of Cruise's being gay as well, for quite some time.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

I wonder how Steven Spielberg feels about all of this.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

You know...I wonder what Parker Stevenson has to say about this. I don't think I can really decide how I feel about this important issue until seek advice from the Hardy Boys.

(old Bobcat Goldthwait)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Anyone know how Jm J Bullock might feel about Ritalin? Perhaps he might like to share something.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    He can't speak because of his achey breaky heart.

I agree with Tom about Ritalin. Basically, it's a central nervous stimulant that essentially overwhelms the child's nervous system forcing them into a withdrawn, doped up state. Anyone will behave at that point because their body has no other choice.

As far as the rest of Tom's claims, medical science clearly proves that Tom is nuttier than a fruitcake on Christmas.

There is a problem in our schools now with kids selling ritalin because of the high it produces.

Kurt Cobain was a child raised on ritalin.

http://www.cchr.org/art/eng/page49.htm

Leading pediatric neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman says hyperactivity is “an illusion, a contrivance [and] a deception.” Without a shred of scientific evidence, psychiatrists claim the symptoms of this “disease” include:

* often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat;

* often leaves seat in a classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected;

* often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly;

* is often “on the go” and often talks excessively.

And what of Ritalin? Ritalin is actually an amphetamine-like drug, but in children it acts as a tranquilizer. It’s a Schedule II drug in the same category as opium, cocaine and morphine. Highly addictive, withdrawal from it can cause suicide. Side effects can include: loss of appetite, weight loss, inability to stay asleep, heart palpitations, drowsiness, joint pain, nausea, chest pain and abdominal pain. It can also cause hallucinations and increase bizarre and abnormal behavior.

But doesn’t that sound like some psychiatrist didn’t like Cobain being a typical child – full of energy and, in Cobain’s case, probably full of independent, even precocious action – and thus he put him on a highly addictive and physically dangerous drug to chemically suppress the child in him; to make him sit still?

And if all that is true, couldn’t it underpin everything from his later drug addiction, to his severe physical problems, to his irrational behavior and finally to his suicide?

There is more. In Cobain’s case, Ritalin kept him awake. Consequently other drugs were prescribed to counteract it – sedatives. And despite psychiatry’s claims that Ritalin can help a child study, Cobain was and remained a poor student who dropped out of high school.

After years of prescription drugs, the progression to street drugs was almost a given – a too often repeated consequence of Ritalin. For example, actress Jill Ireland’s adopted son was given Ritalin for childhood “hyperactivity.” She attributed this to his later use of cocaine and heroin. As did another mother, Faye O’Donnell, whose son was prescribed Ritalin and later continued it illegally, then took up “crank” and speed because it made him feel “normal” again. Cobain’s battle with heroin addiction would become widely known over the years, as he repeatedly tried and failed to resolve his dependency.

Compounding the Ritalin were untreated chronic medical conditions which effected him his entire life – including a curvature of his spine, which was aggravated by the weight of his guitar around his neck and a “burning, nauseous” stomach that often drove him to feelings of suicide. In fact, Cobain praised heroin as the only drug that “quenched the fire in his gut.” What nobody mentioned was that abdominal pain is a known side-effect of Ritalin intake by children.

His inherent artistic genius still intact, within a short time of leaving school, he recorded an album and signed with Geffen Records. However, increasingly crowded by the mental and physical legacy of prescribed, mind-altering drugs and ultimately street drugs, Cobain’s drug problem became critical. In desperation, wife Courtney Love and several friends enrolled Cobain in a psychiatric drug recovery center. Thirty-six hours after admission, he bolted from the program and in a small room above his garage in a quiet Seattle neighborhood, ended his life with a single shotgun blast to his head. Heroin and the addictive and potentially harmful psychiatric drug Valium were reportedly found in his bloodstream.

In his suicide note, he alluded to two things that had brought him to suicide – the stomach pain that had haunted him for years, and his agony over his music, about which he wrote, “I don’t have the passion anymore.” Chemically nullified, the music was gone and with this, Kurt Cobain was simply deprived of his prime reason for being.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So who has benefited? Certainly not the children, as scholastic scores continue to plummet. The beneficiaries have been mental health practitioners such as psychiatrists, psychologists and individuals in some way connected with these groups. By progressively turning our schools into “mental health clinics,” the whole emphasis in education has been shifted from academic to behavioral.

Psychiatry has majorly influenced this shift with its invention of such fictitious mental illnesses as Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Where once an energetic, disruptive child would have been considered just that and handled accordingly, psychiatrists now say he suffers from ADHD and requires special help – their help. Voted in as a “mental illness” by a committee of the American Psychiatric Association, its use has escalated from 500,000 diagnoses in 1988 to 4,400,000 in 1997! And rising!

Psychiatry’s inevitable solution is the drugging of the child with dangerous and addictive amphetamine-like drugs, usually Ritalin, or the central nervous system stimulant, Cylert (pemoline). Once that diagnosis is made, the destiny of that child is no longer in the hands of his or her parents.

More than three million American children, fraudulently labeled as having ADHD – which neurologist Dr. Fred Baughman, Jr. says is “not a disease,” but a “for-profit invention” —are subjected to powerful, mind-altering psychiatric drugs such as amphetamines and Ritalin. As a result, in the U.S. alone, the production of Ritalin increased by 665 percent between 1985 and 1995, with a 500 percent increase since 1990. In some classrooms, up to 20 percent of the students are taking the drug. A further half million children are on antidepressant drugs such as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs). The cost of all this – up to $1.9 billion – would pay for more than 51,900 additional teachers or tutors to provide the extra tutoring that these children really need.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Again - I can only speak from my wife and I's own personal experience with drugs such as Ritalin and Cylert, and their dire effects on our son. From the time our son entered Kindergarten and through the 4th grade we were told these drugs would help, and what was needed in his case. The side effects were just as the ones listed above - loss of appetite, weight loss, inability to stay asleep, heart palpitations, drowsiness, joint pain, nausea, and abdominal pain. And our little boy (at that time) was saying very little about all of this because we, and the Drs, had convinced him (and us) that he needed these drugs, and that they were beneficial to his development. Yet he wasn't performing any better in school, and all we heard from the teachers, administrators, and school psychologists, was that his dosage needed adjusted more and more. We started thinking - Hell, if the dosage he is currently on is causing all these problems, then I'm sure not gonna increase it and put him through more hell! Besides, academically, we weren't seeing any improvement.

The public school said they were unable to teach him how to read at the grade level required. We took him to an outside tutor in Columbus, Ohio, and within the year he was reading at or above the normal level. We were taking him to a child psychologist in Piqua, Ohio, and he recommended, after a year of visits/sessions to increase his memory retention, staying on task, and class participation with his peers (which was non-existent) that we take him off of ritalin (and the other drugs prescribed to counter the effects of ritalin).

We did, and my wife and I are so glad we did so. We got our outgoing and fun-loving child back. He has been in an IEP every year since that 5th grade, and is now getting ready for his Junior year at JVS specializing in computer engineering/programming. The IEP program has provided him with the extra needs/tutoring over the years that has greatly proven to be beneficial to our son.

I, and my brothers, when growing up, were all rambunctious, outgoing, and hyper-active kids. We were full of energy and Mom use to say she couldn't get us to sit down for a second. I guess if we had been born 40 years later we'd have been on ritalin.

My son's two younger siblings are the same way. After our son's experiences, we decided that it took greater parental involvement in both the home and at school. It's a decision we are so glad we made. That is what it takes folks - not drugs.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-26-2005 at 07:22 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

How to Score Ritalin

October 3, 2002
    by Barbara Sumner Burstyn

So the kids have wised up and following the US trend, have started dealing their Ritalin in the schoolyard. In New Zealand Ritalin retails for around $5 a tablet while in the States the street value is considerably higher - the equivalent of nearly NZ$ 20.00.

And just like in the States, where it's estimated that six million kids are taking the mind-altering drug, New Zealand police have become concerned that parents are pressuring doctors to prescribe Ritalin for their children. Not only as an antidote to the annoyances of parenting but so they can sell it themselves on a growing black market. So perhaps you're also making the connection, wondering how your kid could present with ADHD to help with the family income.

It turns out its not that hard. New Zealand uses the DSM-IV, the US Diagnostic and Statistical Manual, to help diagnose ADHD. In descending order your doctor is looking for at least eight of these fourteen things: A child who often fidgets with hands or squirms in his seat, has difficulty remaining seated and is easily distracted by extraneous stimuli. He needs to show difficulty waiting turn in group situations and he needs to often blurt out answers to questions before they have been completed. He needs to sometimes have difficulty following through on instructions such as his chores or homework and often have difficulty sustaining attention in activities, shifting from one incomplete activity to another. He has to have difficulty playing quietly, he must talk excessively, interrupt or butt into other kids games, not seem to listen to what is said, often losing things at school or home and of course he has to engage in physically dangerous activities without considering possible consequences, like running into the street without looking.

Easy? You bet. Show me a kid that doesn't present with at least half of these 'symptoms', especially before the age of seven - which is the optimum time for diagnosis and he'll be your oddity.

But if you think it's difficult for a doctor accustomed to dealing in science to suddenly have to make a diagnosis based on judgment alone imagine how hard it's been for the scientists doing clinical research into the causes of ADHD, working as they must, with mainly subjective data, cultural and individual perceptions, values and opinion. In fact, only last year the Washington Post reported that they haven't actually tested Ritalin on at least one group of children it's routinely prescribed for, the under six year olds. Seems testing mind altering drugs on little kids was a just a little too sticky.

But outside of Canada, the U.S.A, Australia and New Zealand very few doctors make the diagnosis at all. On the European continent a drug for kids with side effects such as insomnia, decreased appetite, stomach-ache, headache and dizziness is unacceptable. As far back as 1976 Shrag and Divorky, in their book, The Myth of the Hyperactive Child, traced the origin of the diagnosis to advertising campaigns run by drug companies which manufacture cures for social problems.

More recently high profile American lawyer Richard Scruggs accused Novartis Pharmaceutical Corp., makers of the drug Ritalin and the American Psychiatric Association of conspiring to promote an overly broad diagnosis of ADHD with the result that it's given to too many youngsters.

Despite this, Ritalin is fast becoming a widely accepted parenting tool, a medical substitute for that most precious parental commodity; time. Canadian child psychologist and author of The Omnipotent Child Dr Thomas P. Millar says the behaviours on the ADHD checklist are no more symptoms than a rash, or a cough, or sore feet. "These behaviours are common and normal in preschool children. In older children they are more appropriately called immaturities. Getting over immaturity is called growing up." He goes on to state the obvious, that it seems many parents have forgotten in their rush to embrace the latest wonder drug. "Children grow up when they are parented properly, that is nurtured and trained in a fashion appropriate for their temperament."

But perhaps the scariest part of the Ritalin epidemic (as if there could be anything scarier than parental abdication of parenting) is the increasing pressure schools are putting parents under. All the behaviours on the checklist are guaranteed to irritate even the most patient teacher but a child on Ritalin becomes submissive, passive and socially inhibited. Perfect schoolroom material. So much so that earlier this year a New York State judge ordered parents to resume giving their seven year old son Ritalin after they'd stopped dosing him, fearing it was harming him. Their school board reported them to the Department of Social Services, which filed child abuse charges for medical neglect. To avoid having their son removed from them the couple reinstated his court ordered doping.

Not even the largest advocate group set up to protect suffers of this supposed illness is immune. Recently it was revealed that Children and Adults with ADHD received more than a million dollars in funding from the makers of Ritalin. But last week, the group, vocal promoters of Ritalin, did a dramatic about face. They agreed with the National Institute of Mental Health that many doctors are misdiagnosing kids with ADHD and turning hospitals and clinics into pill mills.

In New Zealand Ritalin prescriptions are running at an all time high. 72,186 prescriptions were written to March this year up from 49,811 in 2000. So it's clear that in this trend at least we're not lagging behind the US. Now if we can just get the street price up a bit more we might even have a nice black market earner for parents as well.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Anyone will behave at that point because their body has no other choice.
    Until you experience the world of what happens sans drug you have no idea what said drug does to you do you?

Kinda of a subjective viewpoint of ADD being tossed around here IMO.

i have ADD. i've never taken drugs for it. i am extremely glad i've never taken drugs for it. my obsessive nature tends to override my ADD anyway in regards to baseball and fishing.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Turn Off Ads?