Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Until you experience the world of what happens sans drug you have no idea what said drug does to you do you?
    I don't understand your question WOY.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan
    I don't understand your question WOY.
    There is no question, I'm just saying ADD is a something that is not understood until you experience it.

And that includes what effect ritalin has on the person who has it.

I have it, have always had it and it's a rush that can not even be put into words.

Two of my closest friends suffer from bipolar disorder--they're alive and productive because of prescription medications.

Tom Cruise is a set of teeth.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I work with a woman who has ADD. Friday, I tried to give her a heads up about a file she was about to receive, and a call she was about to get about that file. I had about 5 sentences to say, but she interrupted me 3 times while I was trying to get those 5 sentences out. She could not listen that long.

She's supposed to take medication, but she doesn't always. She doesn't like how it makes her feel. You can really notice a difference when she's on her medication.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    * often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat;

* often leaves seat in a classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected;

* often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly;

* is often “on the go” and often talks excessively.

That describes most kids. (and me. )
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I never said that ther aren't cases where drugs aren't beneficial. I simply believe they are being over prescribed in various case situations. Especially with a child that is deemed hyper-active. Parents are too quick to put the child on various drugs.

My oldest was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome several years ago. It's taken a greater commitment/involvement from us as parents; but it's been well worth it. We've had more problem with the school system then we have our son.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Scientologists are insane. Nothing new there.
    They do seem to be a bit left of the loony bin, for sure.

I never said that there are not cases in which drugs are necessary. But my issue is with the fact that ADD/ADHD is one of the most overdiagnosed disorders today. There are many legitimate cases out there, but there's also kids on these drugs that aren't truly dealing with ADD or ADHD.

I do believe that drugs are quite often necessary to treat the disorder. However, I have serious issues with stimulant medications and their mode of action. If someone needs to be treated for ADD, they are much better off being treated with a non-stimulant medication like Strattera.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Cruise said he always had doubts about psychiatry, and then said once he studied it, he knew it was bogus. Lauer should have called him on perhaps not being the most unbiased source in the world. Descartes set out to prove the existence of god and lo and behold, he did, even though his proofs are as faulty as an I-75 construction project.
    Cruise is doing a heck of a job promoting War of the Worlds.

In a related story, Cruise went on a sportstalk radio show spouting of his theory of "soft walks" "batting w/RISP as the true measure of a player" and the fact that "OPS" doesn't really exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Two of my closest friends suffer from bipolar disorder--they're alive and productive because of prescription medications.

Tom Cruise is a set of teeth.
    Bipolar is a far cry from ADD. Our culture's solution to any ailment is a pill, right down to undisciplined, misbehaving children in school. Sad.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Bipolar is a far cry from ADD. Our culture's solution to any ailment is a pill, right down to undisciplined, misbehaving children in school. Sad.
    I was responding to Tom Cruise's blanket assessment that any mental illness can be dealt with by the use of vitamins and exercise.

You see bipolar as a far cry from ADD, but I suspect someone with ADD might think differently. I don't know. I don't suffer from either one.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I was responding to Tom Cruise's blanket assessment that any mental illness can be dealt with by the use of vitamins and exercise.

You see bipolar as a far cry from ADD, but I suspect someone with ADD might think differently. I don't know. I don't suffer from either one.
    IMO, ADD is a catch all to cover anything from a legitimate learning disability to a behavioral problem. But I'm not real confident that a person diagnosed with ADD wants to be considered mentally ill, unless of course it helps excuse them from some behavior they do not want to be held responsible for. The issue that GAC brought up about the pressure schools are exerting on families is a tragic consequence of this "diagnosis" and "treatment", and an important problem that needs to be addressed before another generation of druggies is littering the welfare rolls with an excuse that's been given to them for as long as they can remember.

But then, I'm someone who does not consider an alcoholic or a drug addict as having a "disease."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Not Laughing

What are the beliefs of Scientolgy? Is there a website or something that highlights the objectives of this faith.

I'm curious, since it is the new Hollywood fad and those fad's crack me up.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    What are the beliefs of Scientolgy? Is there a website or something that highlights the objectives of this faith.

I'm curious, since it is the new Hollywood fad and those fad's crack me up.
    It's not at all new. This isn't anything like kabbalah or whatever, it's quite a bit more sinister.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?