Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 82

Thread: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

  1. #61
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    21,071

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I wonder what Kelsey Grammer has to say about this?
    Yeah, let's bring in a real expert like Fraser.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Dunnilicious creek14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Beavercreek
    Posts
    11,774

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Psychiatrists: Cruise comments 'irresponsible'

    Cruise called psychiatry a "pseudo science" during an interview with Matt Lauer on NBC's "Today" show.WATCH Browse/Search

    LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- The American Psychiatric Association on Monday sharply criticized actor Tom Cruise for televised remarks in which he called psychiatry a "pseudo science" and disputed the value of antidepressant drugs.

    "It is irresponsible for Mr. Cruise to use his movie publicity tour to promote his own ideological views and deter people with mental illness from getting the care they need," APA President Dr. Steven Sharfstein said in a statement.

    During interviews promoting his latest film, "War of the Worlds," Cruise has discussed his deep skepticism of psychiatry to explain his belief in the teachings of the Church of Scientology, founded by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard.

    In one such interview last Friday on NBC's "Today" show, Cruise was asked about his recent criticism of actress Brooke Shields for revealing that she had taken the antidepressant Paxil to cope with postpartum depression.

    "Before I was a Scientologist, I never agreed with psychiatry," Cruise said. "And when I started studying the history of psychiatry, I understood more and more why I didn't believe in psychology. ... And I know that psychiatry is a pseudo science."

    Disputing the effectiveness of antidepressants generally, Cruise said, "all it does is mask the problem." He added, "There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance."

    Cruise also singled out drugs, such as Ritalin, that are used to treat children for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, calling Ritalin "a street drug."

    As "Today" host Matt Lauer pressed the 42-year-old actor on his views, Cruise said, "Here's the problem. You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do."

    The rebuke from the APA, which represents nearly 36,000 physicians specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness, challenged Cruise's assertion that psychiatry lacks scientific merit.

    "Rigorous, published, peer-reviewed research clearly demonstrates that treatment (of mental illness) works," the APA statement said. "It is unfortunate that in the face of this remarkable scientific and clinical progress that a small number of individuals and groups persist in questioning its legitimacy."

    Cruise remains one of Hollywood's biggest stars, but since his manic, couch-hopping appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" last month, he also has leaped to the forefront of celebrity punch lines.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

  4. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,852

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    "Before I was a Scientologist, I never agreed with psychiatry," Cruise said. "And when I started studying the history of psychiatry, I understood more and more why I didn't believe in psychology. ... And I know that psychiatry is a pseudo science."
    He couldn't have studied it much considering the fact that he still doesn't realize that the terms psychiatry and psychology aren't interchangable... But then again, we already knew that he doesn't have the slightest clue what's he talking about.

  5. #64
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckU
    What are the beliefs of Scientolgy? Is there a website or something that highlights the objectives of this faith.

    I'm curious, since it is the new Hollywood fad and those fad's crack me up.
    Their headquarters is in Tampa, Florida. All I can say is BIG BUCKS.

    Their beliefs come from one L. Ron Hubbard, who wrote Dianetics. It's basically a religion of self, which fits in good with the Hollywood crowd.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #65
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,667

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    While Cruise has used a false religion to draw a conclusion, the blind squirrel has found a nut in the process because psychiatry is a dubious profession that relies on patients not getting better and who has turned to chemicals to treat emotions.

    And before anyone freaks out, I am not talking about the truly mentally ill here, but every day folks like you and I that are told a therapist and a pill is the way to cope with life by the American Psychiatric Association. Depressed? Well, just take this little blue pill. No, don't worry about your liver or any other side effects, take this pill so you can cope. Get better? No, you need to see me at least once a week just to keep from getting depressed again.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  7. #66
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,671

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Whats funny is that Hubbard mingled psychiatry within his system of beliefs.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  8. #67
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,568

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/01/op...gewanted=print

    By BROOKE SHIELDS

    London

    I WAS hoping it wouldn't come to this, but after Tom Cruise's interview with Matt Lauer on the NBC show "Today" last week, I feel compelled to speak not just for myself but also for the hundreds of thousands of women who have suffered from postpartum depression. While Mr. Cruise says that Mr. Lauer and I do not "understand the history of psychiatry," I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Mr. Cruise has never suffered from postpartum depression.

    Postpartum depression is caused by the hormonal shifts that occur after childbirth. During pregnancy, a woman's level of estrogen and progesterone greatly increases; then, in the first 24 hours after childbirth, the amount of these hormones rapidly drops to normal, nonpregnant levels. This change in hormone levels can lead to reactions that range from restlessness and irritability to feelings of sadness and hopelessness.

    I never thought I would have postpartum depression. After two years of trying to conceive and several attempts at in vitro fertilization, I thought I would be overjoyed when my daughter, Rowan Francis, was born in the spring of 2003. But instead I felt completely overwhelmed. This baby was a stranger to me. I didn't know what to do with her. I didn't feel at all joyful. I attributed feelings of doom to simple fatigue and figured that they would eventually go away. But they didn't; in fact, they got worse.

    I couldn't bear the sound of Rowan crying, and I dreaded the moments my husband would bring her to me. I wanted her to disappear. I wanted to disappear. At my lowest points, I thought of swallowing a bottle of pills or jumping out the window of my apartment.

    I couldn't believe it when my doctor told me that I was suffering from postpartum depression and gave me a prescription for the antidepressant Paxil. I wasn't thrilled to be taking drugs. In fact, I prematurely stopped taking them and had a relapse that almost led me to drive my car into a wall with Rowan in the backseat. But the drugs, along with weekly therapy sessions, are what saved me - and my family.

    Since writing about my experiences with the disease, I have been approached by many women who have told me their stories and thanked me for opening up about a topic that is often not discussed because of fear, shame or lack of support and information. Experts estimate that one in 10 women suffer, usually in silence, with this treatable disease. We are living in an era of so-called family values, yet because almost all of the postnatal focus is on the baby, mothers are overlooked and left behind to endure what can be very dark times.

    And comments like those made by Tom Cruise are a disservice to mothers everywhere. To suggest that I was wrong to take drugs to deal with my depression, and that instead I should have taken vitamins and exercised shows an utter lack of understanding about postpartum depression and childbirth in general.

    If any good can come of Mr. Cruise's ridiculous rant, let's hope that it gives much-needed attention to a serious disease. Perhaps now is the time to call on doctors, particularly obstetricians and pediatricians, to screen for postpartum depression. After all, during the first three months after childbirth, you see a pediatrician at least three times. While pediatricians are trained to take care of children, it would make sense for them to talk with new mothers, ask questions and inform them of the symptoms and treatment should they show signs of postpartum depression.

    In a strange way, it was comforting to me when my obstetrician told me that my feelings of extreme despair and my suicidal thoughts were directly tied to a biochemical shift in my body. Once we admit that postpartum is a serious medical condition, then the treatment becomes more available and socially acceptable. With a doctor's care, I have since tapered off the medication, but without it, I wouldn't have become the loving parent I am today.

    So, there you have it. It's not the history of psychiatry, but it is my history, personal and real.

    Brooke Shields, the author of "Down Came the Rain: My Journey Through Postpartum Depression," isstarring in the musical "Chicago" in London.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  9. #68
    Dunnilicious creek14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Beavercreek
    Posts
    11,774

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Lauren Bacall criticizes 'vulgar' Tom Cruise
    NEW YORK (AP) Lauren Bacall has a few unkind words to say about Tom Cruise.

    Answers: shocking, vulgar, unacceptable. The question: What were the terms Lauren Bacall used to describe Tom Cruise's recent behavior?
    By Ann Johansson, AP

    In an interview in the Aug. 8 issue of Time magazine, now on newsstands, the 80-year-old actress says, "When you talk about a great actor, you're not talking about Tom Cruise."

    "His whole behavior is so shocking," she says. "It's inappropriate and vulgar and absolutely unacceptable to use your private life to sell anything commercially, but I think it's kind of a sickness."

    Bacall was alluding to Cruise's displays of emotion and public courting of Katie Holmes in the weeks leading up to the release of his new film, War of the Worlds. Cruise and Holmes became engaged in June after he proposed at the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

    Last fall, Bacall made similar remarks about Cruise's ex-wife Nicole Kidman, her co-star in Birth. While promoting the movie, Bacall became irritated when an interviewer described Kidman as "a legend."

    "She's not a legend," Bacall said. "She can't be a legend at whatever age she is. ... You have to be older."
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

  10. #69
    Member wally post's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,123

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Man - I SO DIG Lauren Bacall for saying her opinion so honestly and simply.

  11. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    356

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    I worked in the mental health field for awhile, as well, and found many of the drugs prescribed allowed people to live semi-normal lives. In fact, that is the primary reason I left the field. I had hoped to pursue a career in counseling, but after a few years in the field, I come to realize people were getting better because of medication not counseling. A patient can have all the insight in the world and still put a gun in their mouth and pull the trigger. The ones who got better did so because they were on the right meds.

  12. #71
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Quote Originally Posted by wally post
    Man - I SO DIG Lauren Bacall for saying her opinion so honestly and simply.

    Yep, me too.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  13. #72
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,983

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    I worked in the mental health field for awhile, as well, and found many of the drugs prescribed allowed people to live semi-normal lives. In fact, that is the primary reason I left the field. I had hoped to pursue a career in counseling, but after a few years in the field, I come to realize people were getting better because of medication not counseling. A patient can have all the insight in the world and still put a gun in their mouth and pull the trigger. The ones who got better did so because they were on the right meds.
    This is my impression as well. Not that I don't think therapy is important, as I believe it is.

  14. #73
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,601

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Cruise is as nutty as a fruitcake.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  15. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,852

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    I worked in the mental health field for awhile, as well, and found many of the drugs prescribed allowed people to live semi-normal lives. In fact, that is the primary reason I left the field. I had hoped to pursue a career in counseling, but after a few years in the field, I come to realize people were getting better because of medication not counseling. A patient can have all the insight in the world and still put a gun in their mouth and pull the trigger. The ones who got better did so because they were on the right meds.
    I disagree with your stance on counseling. Drugs only correct the chemical imbalance that is contributing to a the problem, but not what caused that chemical imbalance in the first place. Drugs aren't intended to be a sole treatment for any type of mental illness. Their direct intent is to be used in conjunction with counseling to provide an all-around psychological and pharmacological approach that will far benefit the patient more than either one will do alone.

    Both have their limitations. You are aware of suicide being caused by SSRI use, right? It can happen with either method.
    Last edited by Larkin Fan; 08-01-2005 at 09:31 PM.

  16. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Westerville, OH
    Posts
    10,852

    Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan
    As far as the rest of Tom's claims, medical science clearly proves that Tom is nuttier than a fruitcake on Christmas.
    Great minds think alike, 62.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25