Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

Re: Tom Cruise Rips Psychiatry on NBC's Today Show

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Cruise is as nutty as a fruitcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan
    I disagree with your stance on counseling. Drugs only correct the chemical imbalance that is contributing to a the problem, but not what caused that chemical imbalance in the first place. Drugs aren't intended to be a sole treatment for any type of mental illness. Their direct intent is to be used in conjunction with counseling to provide an all-around psychological and pharmacological approach that will far benefit the patient more than either one will do alone.

Both have their limitations. You are aware of suicide being caused by SSRI use, right? It can happen with either method.
    Ofcourse even meds have limitations and I am not saying there is not a time and place for counseling. For example I think certain anxiety disorders such as panic attacks and agorphobia actually require both. But for the more severe illnesses (i.e. manic depression, schizophrenia etc.) I will take drugs over counseling anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    Ofcourse even meds have limitations and I am not saying there is not a time and place for counseling. For example I think certain anxiety disorders such as panic attacks and agorphobia actually require both. But for the more severe illnesses (i.e. manic depression, schizophrenia etc.) I will take drugs over counseling anyday.
    If there's no counseling involved for schizophrenic or bipolar patients, how do you deal with non-compliance as far as meds go, which patients in both groups are highly notorious for not sticking with their medications. Drugs also can't monitor when a patient becomes a danger to themselves. Things like that are just examples why counseling and pharmacological therapy must be used in conjunction with one another.

Like I said before, the drugs are not intended to be used alone. They only reach their true effectiveness when their combined with therapy, because that's the patient's best chance of getting the proper treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin Fan
    If there's no counseling involved for schizophrenic or bipolar patients, how do you deal with non-compliance as far as meds go, which patients in both groups are highly notorious for not sticking with their medications. Drugs also can't monitor when a patient becomes a danger to themselves. Things like that are just examples why counseling and pharmacological therapy must be used in conjunction with one another.

Like I said before, the drugs are not intended to be used alone. They only reach their true effectiveness when their combined with therapy, because that's the patient's best chance of getting the proper treatment.
    Larkin Fan I was just expressing my opinion based upon several (actually 5) years of observations working in the mental health sytem. You are right EFFECTIVE counseling in conjunction with medication is probably the best approach. But when when someone walks into a pysch ward and is so depressed they can't lift their heads and a few weeks later they are walking out of the hospital it is usually because the meds kicked in. Again I am not discounting the value of counseling, I just think without the current meds mental health would still be in the dark ages.

You would have a hard time providing counseling to a shizophrenic if it was not for meds.

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    You would have a hard time providing counseling to a shizophrenic if it was not for meds.
    I'm actually quite aware of that. I never argued once argued against the benefits of the drugs and personally believe them to be quite beneficial. The birth of the SSRI was something the changed mental health greatly for the better. But as someone pursuing a career as a physician, it concerns me that some (including doctors) put too much stock into these drugs to do the entire job, which is something that even the drug manufacturers will tell you that they were never intended for. They simply cure the physiological cause of these illnesses, but not the psychological one. That's all I'm trying to stress here.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Cruise is as nutty as a fruitcake.
    And if the allegations in this thread are true, he's also as fruity as a nutcake.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by wally post
    Man - I SO DIG Lauren Bacall for saying her opinion so honestly and simply.
    I dig Lauren Bacall because she taught Bogey how to whistle.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?