Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The If Rosie can do it so can I 6/25 Reds vs Indians game thead

Re: The If Rosie can do it so can I 6/25 Reds vs Indians game thead

Okay, why is Jerry Narron the answer to a trivia question?
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Someone, anyone...

Narron backwards is Norran.

Just sayin'.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Narron backwards is Norran.

Just sayin'.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh, so close.

Or not.

And it's not because he and I were born on the same day, same month, same year.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    He was the catcher for the Yankees the day after Thurman Munson died.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    He was the catcher for the Yankees the day after Thurman Munson died.
    Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Dan O says so.
    Go Gators!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, so close.

Or not.
    Poop!
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Poop!
    :ughmamoru Zom said poop.

He should be banned.
    Go Gators!

The view from the Lake.

Tribe's key to pen helps open door for Reds
    Run-scoring double off Howry sinks Indians
    Saturday, June 25, 2005
    Burt Graeff
    Plain Dealer Reporter
    Bob Howry is a key to big- league base ball's best - statistically speaking - relief corps.

However, not in the Indians' last two losses.

Howry served up a two-out double to Felipe Lopez in the ninth inning that was the difference in a 5-4 loss to the Cincinnati Reds on Friday night at Jacobs Field.

The hit came moments after a visit to the mound from Indians manager Eric Wedge. Wedge and Howry discussed whether to pitch around Lopez, a switch-hitter who was batting left-handed. "I could have walked him or pitched around him," said Howry (4-2, 3.73 ERA).

"But as a big-league pitcher, I've got to be able to command pitches better than I did," Howry said.

"I was trying to throw a fastball off the plate and I threw it right down the middle."

In Wednesday night's 5-4 loss to Boston, Howry entered in the eighth inning with the Indians leading, 4-2. He gave up singles to Manny Ramirez and Kevin Millar, igniting Boston's rally. "The other night," he said, "I come in and put the tying run on base.

"Tonight, I gave up the go-ahead run. You blow two leads and it stands out more because of the success you have had," Howry said.

The reeling Indians (37-34) have dropped four straight after winning nine in a row. Three of the four losses have been by one run.

Howry did not lose it alone.

A potentially big first inning was short-circuited when Victor Martinez was thrown out at the plate by 10 feet after Ronnie Belliard doubled to knock in one run and give the Indians a 2-0 lead.

"It was being aggressive with two outs," said Wedge. "More times than not that will work to your advantage."

In the third, the Reds got help in scoring one run when Scott Elarton fielded Lopez's shot back to the mound, then tossed a wild throw to first base. Lopez landed at third and scored on Sean Casey's sacrifice fly that tied it, 3-3.

"We opened the door for them and they took advantage of it - the error early and the sacrifice bunt late," Wedge said.

Jason LaRue's sacrifice bunt after Wily Mo Pena singled off Howry to begin the ninth set up Lopez's game-winning double.

The loss negated two solo home runs by Jose Hernandez, who went deep off Eric Milton in the second and fourth innings. Hernandez had not homered since April 16 against Minnesota, a span of 33 games and 88 at-bats.

The Indians failed to score after Hernandez's fourth inning blast. Milton, Todd Coffey, Kent Merker (2-1, 2.87 ERA) and David Weathers (third save) combined to hold the Tribe scoreless on three hits over the last five innings.

Ken Griffey Jr. turned back the clock, hitting two home runs - one off Elarton to lead off the second, the second off Scott Sauerbeck to tie it, 4-4, in the eighth.

Griffey's second homer was his first hit off Sauerbeck in 13 career at-bats. "I had no idea that was the case," Sauerbeck said. "He hit a mistake. He just beat me.

"He's a Hall of Famer and he got it."

The home runs were the 13th and 14th for Griffey. It was his 49th career two-homer game.

Elarton, who had given up three home runs in 36?innings of six previous starts, gave up back-to-back homers to Griffey and Joe Randa leading off the second. Griffey's 13th was a 391-footer over the wall in left-center.

Randa's 12th was a 400-footer over the home run porch in left.

Elarton went six innings, giving up three runs on seven hits, striking out a season-high seven and walking one. He went out on a strong note, retiring Pena and LaRue with two on to end the sixth.

The Indians jumped on Milton for two runs in the first and one in the second. With two outs and one on in the first, Travis Hafner and Martinez singled for the first run. Belliard's double scored another, but Martinez being cut down at the plate ended the rally.

Hernandez homered to lead off the second, giving the Indians a 3-2 lead.

Milton went six innings, giving up four runs on six hits.

He is 0-5 (10.60 ERA) in seven starts on the road. The loss dropped the Tribe to 13-3 in interleague play. The Reds improved to 3-0 under interim manager Jerry Narron.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

bgraeff@plaind.com, 216-999-4479

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Creek, I like your attitude!
    I don't know. My first thought is we're screwed tonight. Should have rode Rosie since she has the hot hand.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    I don't know. My first thought is we're screwed tonight. Should have rode Rosie since she has the hot hand.
    I am hurt. On so many levels.

Creek lost her last time out, to the Rockies, but Dunn and JR were on the bench for that one..they should deliver a victory for her tonight
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?