Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kearns' Weight

Kearns' Weight

I thought it was interesting in today's Enquirer they finally mentioned the issue of Austin Kearns' weight and even put a number on it.

Much has been discussed recently about Austin Kearns weight. Today's Enquirer had this to add in an article by John Fay:

The Reds weren't happy with the shape Kearns is in. He was playing at 255 pounds when optioned.

Asked if the club wanted Kearns to improve his conditioning, O'Brien said: "There's certain elements to the overall program that I would just as soon not comment on. Let's just say it is a diverse program, covering quite a few components."
    Being the curious type that I am, I wondered what weight he was listed at when he came up in 2002. Baseball Almanac listed him at 220 lbs! This seems about right and confirms what my own eyes tell me. He's 35 lbs heavier than he was three years ago and that's not coming off in one AAA stint. He may improve but he's not going back to the Austin Kearns we expect until next year and that's provided he participates in a dedicated off season conditioning program.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kearns' Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    He's 35 lbs heavier than he was three years ago and that's not coming off in one AAA stint.
    That depends on how long he stays in AAA. I suspect he will have to drop a good portion of it before he gets called back up.

if you ask me, kearns, dunn and pena all got to big. whether it was fat or muscle. i think thats one reason dunn and kearns have struggled

you see it again and again. All the talent in the world. Adulation in high school and pro baseball. Girls running after you by the dozens.
    And the pxxs it all away!

Dunn hasn't struggled.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

got alil captain in u?

pena looks like he's bulked up wit muslce more than fat his upper body has gotten bigger

Haunted by walks

Ted Kluszewski only weighed 225. It was all in his arms.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    Ted Kluszewski only weighed 225. It was all in his arms.
    Kluszewski also wasn't all that tall, certainly shorter than kearns

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    pena looks like he's bulked up wit muslce more than fat his upper body has gotten bigger
    Yeah, that what I was about to say. I can't believe AK weghs 255. I knew he had gained weight, but not that much!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Dunn hasn't struggled.
    HE HASNT? really, so you think dunn is a 240 hitter. CRAP, he is way better than a 240 hitter. he should be hittin 280 at least. ive seen him play since he was in dayton and he is no 240 hitter. his bat speed is down imo. you see how many fastballs that got thrown right by him just in last nights game

Wow! 255! I don't even think Da' Meat was that big.

Maybe he is setting his goal on hittng his weight. In that case heavier is better.

Quote Originally Posted by juniorfan91
    Yeah, that what I was about to say. I can't believe AK weghs 255. I knew he had gained weight, but not that much!
    He's listed on the roster at 6-3, 245. I don't know where that number comes from ... ST maybe?

Pena is also listed at 6-3, 245. And Dunn: 6-6, 275.

Quote Originally Posted by RDriesen16
    HE HASNT? really, so you think dunn is a 240 hitter. CRAP, he is way better than a 240 hitter. he should be hittin 280 at least. ive seen him play since he was in dayton and he is no 240 hitter. his bat speed is down imo. you see how many fastballs that got thrown right by him just in last nights game
    974 OPS...first among all Left Fielders...9th in all of baseball, one point behind David Ortiz.

if that's struggling, i would like everyone on this team to struggle offensively.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by RDriesen16
    Can we please not turn this into yet another thread about Dunn's abilities?

I think all RDriesn16 was tring to say was Dunn could do better than what he is. No on e is going to argue hat Dunn is having a good year, but what COULD he being doing if he were in great shape.

Turn Off Ads?