Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: People on Mets Board saying really dumb things about Adam Dunn

Re: People on Mets Board saying really dumb things about Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    No kidding. And the worst of those are guys like WOY and Steel, who are totally obsessed with trying to convince others that Adam Dunn belongs in the same category as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other HOFers of that caliber. At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player. To read some of these posts you'd think Dunn was a leadoff hitter who hits a ton of home runs. But what he really is is a clean-up type power hitter who hits for a low average, and an even lower average when it counts -- w/RISP. Until he starts driving in more runs he'll never be fully accepted by Reds fans IMO.
    Yeah, WOY was at my house today and he wouldn't stop talking about Dunn. He even had a signed copy of "Tiger Beat" with him with Dunn on the cover. Takes it everywhere he goes and shows it to everybody. I don't have the heart to tell him that nobody cares and that Dunn strikes out too much.

And I know for a fact that Steel is getting ready to publish a book of poety about Dunn.

Those guys are wack.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The sad thing is that the wrong side of this argument is reinforced by the Reds PBP announcers, radio sportstalk host and some beatwriters who should all know better.

I quess it's easier to just look at ba, hr and rbi. and ignore other stats.

Would you guys go for Carlos Beltran for Adam Dunn?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

No kidding. And the worst of those are guys like WOY and Steel, who are totally obsessed with trying to convince others that Adam Dunn belongs in the same category as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other HOFers of that caliber. At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player. To read some of these posts you'd think Dunn was a leadoff hitter who hits a ton of home runs. But what he really is is a clean-up type power hitter who hits for a low average, and an even lower average when it counts -- w/RISP. Until he starts driving in more runs he'll never be fully accepted by Reds fans IMO.
    I'm sorry, but I really find this laughable.

1. I highly doubt WOY and Steel are "obsessed" with convincing others that Dunn is Mantle. What happens, IMO, is that so many people put forth the same arguments against Dunn (Ks, BA w/RISP, BA in general, etc.) that other people (such as WOY and Steel) are constantly having to repeat themselves as to why Dunn IS a good offensive player. I've even found myself doing it (such as right now), because it is hard for me to understand how, if someone has looked at Dunn's numbers, that person can then still think Dunn is bad.

2. Dunn has already put up numbers required to occasionally go to an All-Star game. He's been once already. Last year he had one of the best offensive seasons EVER by a Reds player: 80+ extra base hits; 100+ runs scored; 100+ RBI; 100+ walks. Just so I'm clear on that: What we saw Dunn do last year has only ever been done by a handful of Reds in the entire history of the organization. And he's only 25 years old.

3. It's darn well near impossible for Dunn to be any type of clean-up hitter, good or bad, when his manager bats him 6th and 7th more times than not. As it is now, Dunn has lead off more innings than anyone on this team except Ryan Freel. So what you suggest about people thinking he's a lead-off hitter who hits a lot of home runs has a little more truth to it than you think.

4. It's been addressed a gazillion times on here already, but just for fun, let's take another look at Dunn's number "when it counts." This is this year:

Situation; BA; OBP; SLG; OPS
    Runners on: .256/.481/.567/1.048
    Runners ISP: .196/.461/.451/.912
    Runners ISP, 2 outs: .176/.457/.348/.805
    Close and late: .229/.372/.514/.886

Overall: .246/.391/.566/.957

Yes, his BA is low. But look at his OBP in those situations. When Dunn comes up with runners on base, he himself gets on base 48% of the time. That is 48% of his ABs with runners on in which he does not make an out. That's pretty fantastic.

As for driving in more runs: Sure, it would be nice. But he cannot help the following things: batting low in the lineup; not having runners on base to drive in; and getting pitched around when there are actually runners on base in front of him. How exactly should he drive more runs in, given the above?

There are certainly aspects of Dunn's game worth criticizing. Most of them have nothing to do with offense, yet that's what we hear the most about.

nice post. very well said.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    There are certainly aspects of Dunn's game worth criticizing. Most of them have nothing to do with offense, yet that's what we hear the most about.
    Very nicely put.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player.
    2001 Futures Game
    2002 All-Star Game

Just sayin'.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Nice post, Rosie!

Prepare to be labeled an "Adam Dunn Defender."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    2001 Futures Game
    2002 All-Star Game

Just sayin'.
    Quit confusing them with the facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

No kidding. And the worst of those are guys like WOY and Steel, who are totally obsessed with trying to convince others that Adam Dunn belongs in the same category as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other HOFers of that caliber. At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player.
    One man's obsession is another man's knowledge. I know what you think, you what I think.

I just happen to think I'm right and you're wrong.

Of course I didn't get all rightous and call out your opinion on the board without facts or some stats to back it up.

Which by the way currently place Dunn in that group.(At his age Terry... pull back and acknowledge that not the players whole career is being compared)

But thanks for thinking of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Prepare to be labeled an "Adam Dunn Defender."
    Adam Dunn Defenders get cool hats

Just sayin.
    Go Gators!

Adam Dunn Defenders get cool hats
    Mine has a tinted visor, two-way radio, and a heads-up display that shows Dunn's stats.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Mine

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Mine has a tinted visor, two-way radio, and a heads-up display that shows Dunn's stats.
    Mine has two cup holders for beers.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Mine
    I can safely say that I haven't worn anything that hideous looking since I was in grade school band.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Turn Off Ads?