Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: People on Mets Board saying really dumb things about Adam Dunn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

People on Mets Board saying really dumb things about Adam Dunn

In case such things interest you...

Some highlights:

1. 34% of people on the board wouldn't trade away Yusmeiro Petit to get him.

2. One guy called him "less talented Dave Kingman." (How very original).

3. "I still think [Dunn] is the type of hitter who could come here and really struggle. I see Sean Casey as the better fit."

http://www.nyfansites.com/boards/vie...5215&start=160

Maybe if we're lucky, the guy who posted #3 is Omar Minaya.
    Stick to your guns.

Re: People on Mets Board saying really dumb things about Adam Dunn

Maybe if we're lucky, the guy who posted #3 is Omar Minaya.
    Oh yeah... Somebody is getting flipped from the "Incumbent Bunch" along with Randa and any other beer league player (you should have seen RA go 1st to 3rd tonight, it was like watching time stand still)

Sounds like Reds Live, but I bet they don't have a daily thread on it.

Lets see...

Dunn
    AB: 240
    Runs: 50
    Hits: 59
    Doubles: 13
    Triples: 2 (yes slow Dunn has more Triples than the speedy Beltran)
    Homeruns: 20
    RBIs: 39
    Walks: 52
    Strikeouts: 82
    Stolen Bases: 3 (2 more than that speed machine Beltran)
    OBP: .393 (.070 more than Beltran)
    SLG: .567 )(.135 more than Beltran)
    AVG: .246 (.020 less than Beltran)

Beltran
    AB: 259
    Runs: 31
    Hits: 69
    Doubles 16
    Triples: 0
    Homeruns: 9
    RBIs: 37
    Walks: 22
    Strikeouts: 49
    Stolen Bases: 1
    OBP: .323
    SLG: .432
    AVG: .266

Dunn gets on base and scores more than Beltran...... which ones overpaid?

Fun with numbers.

If the season was to end today Adam Dunn would have a lifetime ob% of .383 a Slg% of .514 104 2b's, 138 HR's and 400 walks.

In the history of the game here are the only other players under 26 to do that.

Code:
    RUNS CREATED/GAME              RC/G      OBA      SLG      HR       2B       BB     
    1    Ted Williams              13.38     .481     .642      127      154      495   
    2    Jimmie Foxx               10.87     .435     .638      222      196      556   
    3    Mickey Mantle             10.20     .427     .574      207      164      670   
    4    Mel Ott                    8.87     .412     .554      211      224      622   
    5    Eddie Mathews              8.22     .388     .556      222      147      561
    If you knock the walks out 4 more guys get on the list

Code:
    RUNS CREATED/GAME              RC/G      OBA      SLG      HR       2B       BB     
    1    Ted Williams              13.38     .481     .642      127      154      495   
    2    Jimmie Foxx               10.87     .435     .638      222      196      556   
    3    Mickey Mantle             10.20     .427     .574      207      164      670   
    4    Joe DiMaggio              10.11     .402     .623      168      171      260   
    5    Albert Pujols              9.49     .413     .624      160      189      304   
    6    Mel Ott                    8.87     .412     .554      211      224      622   
    7    Willie Mays                8.29     .382     .584      152      102      285   
    8    Eddie Mathews              8.22     .388     .556      222      147      561   
    9    Frank Robinson             7.81     .384     .561      202      177      392

All of which are Hall of Famers. I'm amazed at the flak Adam Dunn receives on this board. It's truly amazing that someone as special as Dunn gets so little recognition.

People on here would have bashed Reggie Jackson and Mike Schmidt too. People can't seem to get over the strikeouts are the end of the world fetish.

great post woy.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-26-2005 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    All of which are Hall of Famers. I'm amazed at the flak Adam Dunn receives on this board. It's truly amazing that someone as special as Dunn gets so little recognition.

People on here would have bashed Reggie Jackson and Mike Schmidt too. People can't seem to get over the strikeouts are the end of the world fetish.

great post woy.
    I see twice as many posts and posters defending Adam Dunn to a fault as I do folks complaining about his faults, of which he does have some. I don't get why everyone is so defensive when he is criticized. If the numbers speak for themselves, then rolling eyes anytime someone isn't ga ga over him shouldn't be necessary.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I see twice as many posts and posters defending Adam Dunn to a fault as I do folks complaining about his faults, of which he does have some. I don't get why everyone is so defensive when he is criticized. If the numbers speak for themselves, then rolling eyes anytime someone isn't ga ga over him shouldn't be necessary.

Adam Dunn isn't just criticized for his few weaknesses; his whole game is bashed on here. He strikeouts too much, average is too low, no sac flies. can't hit risp, too many solo homeruns, needs to swing at more bad pitches, walks too much, etc.. A lot of people don't like the guy, so they criticize him for everything.

And these same people never seem to be around when he hits two homeruns in a game, but they are the first one's on the board when he strikeouts twice in a game.

You mean here on Redszone?

Maybe, but over at Redlegnation, Marcs Blog, ESPN Chat and the MLB Boards I see him beat up on daily, the sound of the Dunn bashing drowns out any complaining of pitching.

And that's just stupid as well as sad.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You mean here on Redszone?

Maybe, but over at Redlegnation, Marcs Blog, ESPN Chat and the MLB Boards I see him beat up on daily, the sound of the Dunn bashing drowns out any complaining of pitching.

And that's just stupid as well as sad.
    Yes, here on RZ, that was OBM's frame of reference. I guess you'd call it preaching to the choir on here. I don't frequent other boards.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

No kidding. And the worst of those are guys like WOY and Steel, who are totally obsessed with trying to convince others that Adam Dunn belongs in the same category as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other HOFers of that caliber. At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player. To read some of these posts you'd think Dunn was a leadoff hitter who hits a ton of home runs. But what he really is is a clean-up type power hitter who hits for a low average, and an even lower average when it counts -- w/RISP. Until he starts driving in more runs he'll never be fully accepted by Reds fans IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    No kidding. And the worst of those are guys like WOY and Steel, who are totally obsessed with trying to convince others that Adam Dunn belongs in the same category as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other HOFers of that caliber. At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player. To read some of these posts you'd think Dunn was a leadoff hitter who hits a ton of home runs. But what he really is is a clean-up type power hitter who hits for a low average, and an even lower average when it counts -- w/RISP. Until he starts driving in more runs he'll never be fully accepted by Reds fans IMO.
    with him leading off innings and hitting with no one on base, it's hard to drive in runs. average means nothing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Yeah, WOY was at my house today and he wouldn't stop talking about Dunn. He even had a signed copy of "Tiger Beat" with him with Dunn on the cover. Takes it everywhere he goes and shows it to everybody. I don't have the heart to tell him that nobody cares and that Dunn strikes out too much.

And I know for a fact that Steel is getting ready to publish a book of poety about Dunn.

Those guys are wack.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I'm sorry, but I really find this laughable.

1. I highly doubt WOY and Steel are "obsessed" with convincing others that Dunn is Mantle. What happens, IMO, is that so many people put forth the same arguments against Dunn (Ks, BA w/RISP, BA in general, etc.) that other people (such as WOY and Steel) are constantly having to repeat themselves as to why Dunn IS a good offensive player. I've even found myself doing it (such as right now), because it is hard for me to understand how, if someone has looked at Dunn's numbers, that person can then still think Dunn is bad.

2. Dunn has already put up numbers required to occasionally go to an All-Star game. He's been once already. Last year he had one of the best offensive seasons EVER by a Reds player: 80+ extra base hits; 100+ runs scored; 100+ RBI; 100+ walks. Just so I'm clear on that: What we saw Dunn do last year has only ever been done by a handful of Reds in the entire history of the organization. And he's only 25 years old.

3. It's darn well near impossible for Dunn to be any type of clean-up hitter, good or bad, when his manager bats him 6th and 7th more times than not. As it is now, Dunn has lead off more innings than anyone on this team except Ryan Freel. So what you suggest about people thinking he's a lead-off hitter who hits a lot of home runs has a little more truth to it than you think.

4. It's been addressed a gazillion times on here already, but just for fun, let's take another look at Dunn's number "when it counts." This is this year:

Situation; BA; OBP; SLG; OPS
    Runners on: .256/.481/.567/1.048
    Runners ISP: .196/.461/.451/.912
    Runners ISP, 2 outs: .176/.457/.348/.805
    Close and late: .229/.372/.514/.886

Overall: .246/.391/.566/.957

Yes, his BA is low. But look at his OBP in those situations. When Dunn comes up with runners on base, he himself gets on base 48% of the time. That is 48% of his ABs with runners on in which he does not make an out. That's pretty fantastic.

As for driving in more runs: Sure, it would be nice. But he cannot help the following things: batting low in the lineup; not having runners on base to drive in; and getting pitched around when there are actually runners on base in front of him. How exactly should he drive more runs in, given the above?

There are certainly aspects of Dunn's game worth criticizing. Most of them have nothing to do with offense, yet that's what we hear the most about.

Turn Off Ads?