Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: People on Mets Board saying really dumb things about Adam Dunn

Re: People on Mets Board saying really dumb things about Adam Dunn

I'll still look at run production when I judge a players ability.
    How do you judge run production?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    All of which are Hall of Famers. I'm amazed at the flak Adam Dunn receives on this board. It's truly amazing that someone as special as Dunn gets so little recognition.

People on here would have bashed Reggie Jackson and Mike Schmidt too. People can't seem to get over the strikeouts are the end of the world fetish.

great post woy.
    I see twice as many posts and posters defending Adam Dunn to a fault as I do folks complaining about his faults, of which he does have some. I don't get why everyone is so defensive when he is criticized. If the numbers speak for themselves, then rolling eyes anytime someone isn't ga ga over him shouldn't be necessary.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I see twice as many posts and posters defending Adam Dunn to a fault as I do folks complaining about his faults, of which he does have some. I don't get why everyone is so defensive when he is criticized. If the numbers speak for themselves, then rolling eyes anytime someone isn't ga ga over him shouldn't be necessary.

Adam Dunn isn't just criticized for his few weaknesses; his whole game is bashed on here. He strikeouts too much, average is too low, no sac flies. can't hit risp, too many solo homeruns, needs to swing at more bad pitches, walks too much, etc.. A lot of people don't like the guy, so they criticize him for everything.

And these same people never seem to be around when he hits two homeruns in a game, but they are the first one's on the board when he strikeouts twice in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Adam Dunn isn't just criticized for his few weaknesses; his whole game is bashed on here. He strikeouts too much, average is too low, no sac flies. can't hit risp, too many solo homeruns, needs to swing at more bad pitches, walks too much, etc.. A lot of people don't like the guy, so they criticize him for everything.
    You forgot not enough RBI.

Your post is very true. Several criticize him ad nauseum without ever admitting his strengths, even going so far as to say he stinks which is just an ignorant statement (and they don't like their ignorance proven either).
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 06-26-2005 at 01:27 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

You mean here on Redszone?

Maybe, but over at Redlegnation, Marcs Blog, ESPN Chat and the MLB Boards I see him beat up on daily, the sound of the Dunn bashing drowns out any complaining of pitching.

And that's just stupid as well as sad.

I think most people who are defend Dunn are usually doing it in response to the same old tired arguments we've been hearing all along laid out by OBM. But I think most of realize that he definitely has holes in his game. He's not very good defensively and hasn't made much progress. I thought he would, but he hasn't. He's also the not the world's best baserunner, nor is he a very cerebral player. And as crazy as this might sound, I don't think he's always patient enough at the plate. The fact that his OB numbes are so high, yet his BA is low, coupled with watching him most of the season, it's obvious to me he's getting pitched around in a great deal of his ABs and he probably gets a little tired of not seeing anything to hit and starts swing at borderline pitches he knows he should be let go.

So yes, he's got holes in his game and most of us realize that. But some of the things getting heaped upon Adam Dunn are quite ridiculous and yes, plenty of people stand up to defend him. BUt I'd disagree that it's more defending him here on RedsZone. My view is that there's just as much criticism as there is defense, at least on Reds Live.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

And as crazy as this might sound, I don't think he's always patient enough at the plate. The fact that his OB numbes are so high, yet his BA is low, coupled with watching him most of the season, it's obvious to me he's getting pitched around in a great deal of his ABs and he probably gets a little tired of not seeing anything to hit and starts swing at borderline pitches he knows he should be let go.
    Yep, he's a horrible bad ball hitter and most bad ball hitters are BA driven players who don't walk alot.

That is not Dunn and never will be Dunn.

BTW Dunn was 3rd in worst BA+SLG on pitches outside of the zone in 2004 (.138) Freel was at .174 The year before Derrek Lee (the triple crown guy) had a .000.

The best?

Juan Pierre at .667 and Paul Lo Duca at .625

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You mean here on Redszone?

Maybe, but over at Redlegnation, Marcs Blog, ESPN Chat and the MLB Boards I see him beat up on daily, the sound of the Dunn bashing drowns out any complaining of pitching.

And that's just stupid as well as sad.
    Yes, here on RZ, that was OBM's frame of reference. I guess you'd call it preaching to the choir on here. I don't frequent other boards.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Yes, here on RZ, that was OBM's frame of reference. I guess you'd call it preaching to the choir on here. I don't frequent other boards.
    I don't know, 30% of Reds Live threads turn into Dunn bashing threads, or so it seems. Seems there is at least one a day on it.

The most overplayed thing on this site is rolling eyes on every negative Dunn post. Or possibly every game thread where he get's a homer there being thirty five thousand sarcastic remarks about how "a sac fly would have been better there hahahaha."
    The guy is great and most people that know baseball agree.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    You forgot not enough RBI.
    Marty?

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, if Dunn hit third every day, as he should, his counting stats would be great, he'd get pitched around less often, and people could see clear as day what a special player he is.

He could be the face of the game. Instead he hits sixth. Or seventh. When no body's on base, and no body's on deck.
    Makes all the routine posts.

No kidding. And the worst of those are guys like WOY and Steel, who are totally obsessed with trying to convince others that Adam Dunn belongs in the same category as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other HOFers of that caliber. At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player. To read some of these posts you'd think Dunn was a leadoff hitter who hits a ton of home runs. But what he really is is a clean-up type power hitter who hits for a low average, and an even lower average when it counts -- w/RISP. Until he starts driving in more runs he'll never be fully accepted by Reds fans IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    But I'd disagree that it's more defending him here on RedsZone. My view is that there's just as much criticism as there is defense.
    And anytime opinions are that evenly split -- on any topic -- you can be pretty certain both sides have a good argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    No kidding. And the worst of those are guys like WOY and Steel, who are totally obsessed with trying to convince others that Adam Dunn belongs in the same category as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and other HOFers of that caliber. At this point Dunn needs to start putting up numbers that might occasionally get him into an all-star game before he gets mentioned as a HOF type player. To read some of these posts you'd think Dunn was a leadoff hitter who hits a ton of home runs. But what he really is is a clean-up type power hitter who hits for a low average, and an even lower average when it counts -- w/RISP. Until he starts driving in more runs he'll never be fully accepted by Reds fans IMO.
    with him leading off innings and hitting with no one on base, it's hard to drive in runs. average means nothing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?