Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Behind the Reitsma Trade - Excerpt from "Scouts Honor"

Re: Behind the Reitsma Trade - Excerpt from "Scouts Honor"

Quote Originally Posted by BelisleFan
    MWM,

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just trying to get you to give me an example of an organization that has developed more starting pitchers that are now around baseball. Oakland was your answer, but beside the obvious two of Mulder and Hudson, you've yet to provide additional examples to explain your answer.

So if the Braves are not the creme of the crop at scouting and developing pitching talent, who is? I think the group of Schmidt, Millwood, Glavine, Perez, Chen, Marquis, Belisle, Mercker, and prospects like Wainwright, Nelson, Bong, Meyer, and Capellan is a pretty solid one and probably unmatched.
    The Houston Astros.

Roy Oswalt
    Darryl Kile
    Freddy Garcia
    Shane Reynolds
    Wade Miller
    Billy Wagner
    Brad Lidge

While the Braves have done a wonderful job of signing and exporting 2nd and 3rd tier pitching talent, the Astros have matched it and more.

BTW Oakland also boasts exports like Jeremy Bonderman and Aaron Harang. In short, using just starting pitchers Oakland has exported over the past 3 seasons who started professionally in their system, you could put together a playoff-caliber rotation. Not so with the pitchers coming out of Atlanta over the same time frame.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    ...I bet our payroll doesn't go up next year or the year after that and I bet we get substantially better.
    If Lindner and Allen continue to run things, I will take that bet. (By "subtantually
    better" I assume you don't mean a winning percentage above .400 or an ERA below 5.00)

I killed Hector

Wow, that's so cool he gave you a sneak peek at his book.

"So Fla Red"

Montreal...

Big Unit and Pedro alone as HOF exports to the rest of the league are about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    The Houston Astros.

Roy Oswalt
    Darryl Kile
    Freddy Garcia
    Shane Reynolds
    Wade Miller
    Billy Wagner
    Brad Lidge

While the Braves have done a wonderful job of signing and exporting 2nd and 3rd tier pitching talent, the Astros have matched it and more.

BTW Oakland also boasts exports like Jeremy Bonderman and Aaron Harang. In short, using just starting pitchers Oakland has exported over the past 3 seasons who started professionally in their system, you could put together a playoff-caliber rotation. Not so with the pitchers coming out of Atlanta over the same time frame.
    How about Chicago?

Prior, Wood, Maddux, Zambrano, Clement, etc.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    How about Chicago?

Prior, Wood, Maddux, Zambrano, Clement, etc.
    Clement was a Florida product, I believe.

But replace him in the Chicago list with Dontrelle Willis, and it looks a little better.

Wait....Clement was a product of the Padre org.

D'Oh!
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?