Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Do this trade?

Do this trade?

I've been agonizing over this trade for awhile now. Here is the trade and I'll give you my opinions afterward:

I trade: OF Brian Giles
    I get: OF Jim Edmonds

Ok, my first thought. I hate Jim Edmonds, and I really like Brian Giles. Beyond that, my categories are: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, OPS.

Giles is one of the leaders in the league in BB's, having drawn 59 so far this year. He is hitting: .275 with 47 R, 72 H, 9 HR, 39 RBI, 5 SB, 59 BB, 38 K's. He has a .897 OPS. Over the last month he has hit .256 with 11 R, 23 H, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 3 SB, 20 BB, 15 K with an OPS of .802

Edmonds K's a lot, and I have a good number of players on my team that K a lot as well. On the year Edmonds is hitting .292 with 41 R, 61 H, 14 HR, 46 RBI, 2 SB, 41 BB, and 64 K. He has an OPS of .982. Over the last month he has hit .306 with 10 R, 19 H, 5 HR, 15 RBI, 1 SB, 10 BB, 19 K, and an OPS of 1.026.

Overall, if I traded Giles, I would certainly miss his BB's. Edmonds offers more HR, more RBI, more K's, and a higher OPS. Giles gives me probably more R, H, SB, and a great deal more BB's, with not too many K's. I do have Barry Bonds on my DL and he would replace Giles' BB's quickly, if he ever plays.

What would you guys do?

Here is my current lineup:

C-I.Rodriguez
    1B- T. Hafner
    2B- M. Giles
    3B- D. Wright
    SS- M. Young
    OF- V. Guerrero
    OF- L. Berkman
    OF- B. Giles
    UTIL- A. Dunn
    UTIL- C. Floyd
    UTIL- Er. Chavez
    DL- B. Bonds
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Do this trade?

I tell you one way or another - but I have both of them on my team

I just traded Jim Thome for Willy Mo Pena - Thome's starting to look fat....Willy Mo can't get the ball out of the infield....I dub thee.....Willy Mo Thome!!

Another thing - how many of you are in a "mixed league" ? Our league is NL only - we only have 6 teams - How can you do a DH in a fantasy league? There should be a rule stating that no National Leaguer starts at DH....

Is this head to head or rotisserie (that doesn't look to be spelled right)?

I know you don't like Edmonds (really, besides Cards fans, who does?), but I think I would do it. He has appeared to come back strong from the hairline fractures in his ribs he had a little while back, and I think the difference in the power numbers between Edmonds and Giles will be greater than the difference in BBs and Ks. Although, if you consistently do well in homers and have a lot of guys that strike out but don't get enough BBs, it also makes sense to keep Giles.

Fortunately for you (and me since I have both these guys, as well), Hafner is starting to turn it on, and Chavez has been a beast for the past month. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way on this deal, it just depends what your strengths and weaknesses are and if it is worth it to give up the extra BBs to get a few more homers and RBIs as well as add more Ks (too lazy to correct the run on sentence).

Also, Mark Loretta is available in my league. I have Marcus Giles at 2B. I could pick up Loretta (and drop Bonds) and then when Loretta comes off the DL (targeting July 19th) I could deal one of them for an upgrade somewhere else...just thinking out loud. Would you stick with Marcus Giles, or would you pick up Loretta and drop Bonds and shop Giles around the All-Star Break?

I'm getting a feeling that Bonds may not return (especially to everyday play) until mid-August, if then.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie
    Is this head to head or rotisserie (that doesn't look to be spelled right)?

I know you don't like Edmonds (really, besides Cards fans, who does?), but I think I would do it. He has appeared to come back strong from the hairline fractures in his ribs he had a little while back, and I think the difference in the power numbers between Edmonds and Giles will be greater than the difference in BBs and Ks. Although, if you consistently do well in homers and have a lot of guys that strike out but don't get enough BBs, it also makes sense to keep Giles.

Fortunately for you (and me since I have both these guys, as well), Hafner is starting to turn it on, and Chavez has been a beast for the past month. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong either way on this deal, it just depends what your strengths and weaknesses are and if it is worth it to give up the extra BBs to get a few more homers and RBIs as well as add more Ks (too lazy to correct the run on sentence).

This is a head to head league. My team has really come on in the past month overall. I had been getting beat in HR and RBI almost every week when Vlad went on the DL, even though I have some good power hitters. Since the beginning of June my players have started to produce closer to their norms and I've been winning HR and RBI more frequently. So maybe I'm just thinking that I have a need that has already been corrected? I don't think I've lost the BB category in any head to head week. While the difference in BB's isn't too great between the two, the difference in K's is. 64-38. It's funny, but a lot of what happens depends on Bonds. If I get Bonds back fully healthy, I'll pick up HR's, OPS AND BB's, and won't need Giles' BB's. If I was more certain that Bonds was coming back soon, or healthy, I'd do the deal. So these questions remain for me.

B. Giles or J. Edmonds?
    M. Giles or M. Loretta?
    B. Bonds or M. Loretta?

M. Giles has been somewhat of a disappointment for me so far. He's one of my favorite players in MLB, but he hasn't hit for too much power and his RBI numbers are down. I was also expecting him to steal more bases (currently 11) and K less (currrently 60 K's).

I have a lot of players that K a lot, as I said.

I. Rodriguez (48); M. Giles (60); T. Hafner (51); D. Wright (56); Dunn (82); C. Floyd (53) and E. Chavez (64).

Adding Edmonds 64 K's to that group doesn't seem like a good idea.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

First off, I would definitely do the Jim Edmonds trade. Brian Giles hasn't looked like Brian Giles of old since the trade the Padres. Plus the Pads play in a pitchers park.

I'd hold onto Marcus Giles before picking up Loretta.

As far as Bonds goes, if he is hurting your team by keeping him then I'd say get rid of him. If you can afford to hold out for another month then I'd do that. I have Bonds on my team, but only picked him up after someone else dropped him. It'd be nice to have the DL slot for someone else, but if you have good depth and players that can play multi positions then stick with him.

The Cardinals look like they will build a big lead in the standings and keep it all summer. IMO, that means Edmonds will be spending a lot of time resting -- LaRussa does like to juggle the lineup to keep guys fresh. Giles, on the other hand, will be playing every day.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    The Cardinals look like they will build a big lead in the standings and keep it all summer. IMO, that means Edmonds will be spending a lot of time resting -- LaRussa does like to juggle the lineup to keep guys fresh. Giles, on the other hand, will be playing every day.
    See if the guy will bite on Cliff Floyd for Edmonds.

Turn Off Ads?