Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joe Biden says he'll run for president in 2008

Joe Biden says he'll run for president in 2008

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8278461/

WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Joseph Biden said Sunday he intends to run for president in 2008, two decades after he dropped out of the race amid charges he plagiarized a British politician's speech.

"My intention now is to seek the nomination," Biden, of Delaware, said on CBS television's "Face the Nation." He said he would explore his support and decide by the end of this year -- a sign the race may get off to an early and competitive start.

"If in fact I think I have a clear shot at winning the nomination, by this November or December, then I'm going to seek the nomination," he said.

Biden is the senior Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and a frequent critic of President Bush's Iraq policy.

He previously indicated his interest in the 2008 race with a December 2004 comment he would proceed as if he were running, but he said then he would take two years to decide.

Biden would face potential challengers including New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, the former U.S. first lady who has led early polling on the Democratic side.

Other possible Democratic contenders include Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry, the nominee defeated by Bush in 2004, and former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, Kerry's running mate.

Biden campaigned for the 1988 Democratic nomination but withdrew early in the race after charges he plagiarized parts of a speech by British Labor Party leader Neil Kinnock and exaggerated his academic record.

The Republican field may also be crowded in 2008, with Bush barred from running and Vice President Dick Cheney saying he does not intend to run, thus leaving no incumbent with a head start.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Re: Joe Biden says he'll run for president in 2008

No shot at all. He killed any chance he had with how he handled the bankruptcy reform bill.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

I very much doubt Biden ever had any chance, bankruptcy bill or no bill.
    I assume Hillary Clinton will run. I'm not sure who can deny her the nomination. I can't see the Democrats nominating someone to the right of her politically, and I can't see the left abandoning her for another candidate more on the left wing.
    Hey, I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, but I can't see Biden or John Edwards ever defeating Hillary for the nomination. Maybe Evan Bayh could if all those opposed to Hillary rallied behind him early, but I don't expect that to happen either.
    I really believe the only thing standing between Hillary and the White House is how strong a candidate the Republicans nominate in 2008.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Obama '12.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Obama '12.
    That would require the Democrats to lose in '08, so I'd personally prefer Obama '16 myself.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I very much doubt Biden ever had any chance, bankruptcy bill or no bill.
    I assume Hillary Clinton will run. I'm not sure who can deny her the nomination. I can't see the Democrats nominating someone to the right of her politically, and I can't see the left abandoning her for another candidate more on the left wing.
    Hey, I've been wrong before and will be wrong again, but I can't see Biden or John Edwards ever defeating Hillary for the nomination. Maybe Evan Bayh could if all those opposed to Hillary rallied behind him early, but I don't expect that to happen either.
    I really believe the only thing standing between Hillary and the White House is how strong a candidate the Republicans nominate in 2008.
    Wow! RB! It almost sounds like you are a closet Hillary Clinton lover. I'm still not as convinced as you that the democratic party would give her the nomination, though. I do agree that there doesn't seem to be anyone else that jumps out as a better candidate. My dream ticket might be Clinton/Obama, but I'm a dreamer through and through. McCain is my favorite Republican. I could look at him.
    teach tolerance.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

If Biden would have ran in 2004, I think he would have given Bush a run for his money, could have even won, IMO

Then he wouldn't have passed that ridiculously unneeded bankruptcy bill, cementing his legacy as the Senator from MBNA.

He'll get waxed by the oppo crews rom the big hitters, like Hillary.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Biden's persona is too dour and uncharismatic to appeal on a national level. Plus, he suffers from the problems that all veteran legislators face, which is a tendency to speak of arcane legislative processes that make audiences glaze over or change the channel.

He knows foreign policy, though and is at times a centrist, which gets him point in my ledger.

The Dems don't need another nominee from New England, though. That hasn't been a recipe for success in over 40 years.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    Wow! RB! It almost sounds like you are a closet Hillary Clinton lover. I'm still not as convinced as you that the democratic party would give her the nomination, though. I do agree that there doesn't seem to be anyone else that jumps out as a better candidate. My dream ticket might be Clinton/Obama, but I'm a dreamer through and through. McCain is my favorite Republican. I could look at him.
    I'm not at all a supporter of Hillary, but I try, not always successfully, to separate my bias from my analysis.
    I don't expect her to have any cakewalk to the presidency; the general election would be hard fought, and vicious, and nasty (and the nastiness would come from both sides). I just have trouble seeing many, if any, Democrats who would do better in the Democratic primaries than her.
    A lot can, and probably will, happen between now and November 2008, of course.
    I'd guess that McCain would be Hillary Clinton's most formidable opponent, and, should he get the GOP nomination, at this point I'd favor McCain to defeat any Democrat, including Mrs. Clinton. Again, a lot can happen between now and then.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I think, on the Democratic side, and I'm showing a bit of regional bias, there are two governors that Democrats need to seriously consider in the 2008 race.

The first, is New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson. Many may remember him as the Energy Sec for Bill Clinton. He's cut taxes in NM, is very popular, and has experience and ties to the last successful Democratic administration

The second, is AZ Gov. Janet Napolitano. She's a former US Attorney, and AZ Attorney General. Her credentials with the Law enforcement community are what has propelled her so far. She been amazingly successful as a Democratic Gov in a state that President Bush won by a sizable margin in 2004.

I actually have done a 180 on Napolitano, I did not vote for her in 2002, but I will in 2006. She's worked with a GOP filled legislature, and has touched on quite a few issues I agree with, and she's got approval ratings in the mid 60's. She's shown to be so formidable, that just 18 months ago, there were at least 4-5 top AZ GOP members licking their chops to run for Governor. Everyone has since bowed out, leaving the only GOP hopes in 2006 on Dan Qualye's wife Marilyn.

Two people to keep in mind for the 08 election.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    The Dems don't need another nominee from New England, though. That hasn't been a recipe for success in over 40 years.
    Er, Delaware isn't in New England....

Man Pills

Yeah, you can trust me on that one.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

To people west of the Mississippi, it might as well be.
    /r/reds

I think it will be Hillary vs. Guliani in '08. That could get rather interesting. or not??
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I think, on the Democratic side, and I'm showing a bit of regional bias, there are two governors that Democrats need to seriously consider in the 2008 race.

The first, is New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson. Many may remember him as the Energy Sec for Bill Clinton. He's cut taxes in NM, is very popular, and has experience and ties to the last successful Democratic administration

The second, is AZ Gov. Janet Napolitano. She's a former US Attorney, and AZ Attorney General. Her credentials with the Law enforcement community are what has propelled her so far. She been amazingly successful as a Democratic Gov in a state that President Bush won by a sizable margin in 2004.

I actually have done a 180 on Napolitano, I did not vote for her in 2002, but I will in 2006. She's worked with a GOP filled legislature, and has touched on quite a few issues I agree with, and she's got approval ratings in the mid 60's. She's shown to be so formidable, that just 18 months ago, there were at least 4-5 top AZ GOP members licking their chops to run for Governor. Everyone has since bowed out, leaving the only GOP hopes in 2006 on Dan Qualye's wife Marilyn.

Two people to keep in mind for the 08 election.
    I'm not familiar with Napolitano. I've long been impressed with Richardson as a potential candidate, although he's probably more likely to wind up as a vice presidential nominee. As an Hispanic, he would bring an ethnic plus to the ticket. I definitely could see a Hillary-Richardson ticket.

Turn Off Ads?