Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Boffins create zombie dogs

Boffins create zombie dogs

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-13762,00.html

By Nick Buchan of NEWS.com.au
    June 27, 2005

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.
    US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.

During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Boffins create zombie dogs

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.
    So they still lick their butts, drink out of the toilet, and chase sticks for hours?

I'm not sure I want to undergo this procedure.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Haven't these guys ever seen a zombie movie? this is a BAD IDEA
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Just remember, the shotgun works best on zombie dogs.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Not only that, think of the effect on RedsZone, we already made the mistake of letting one Zombie in here, think of what will happen if we are overrun with them
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Shhhhhh!

We didn't just let Zombine in, man. We made him a freaking moderator!

Makes all the routine posts.

That's it, you're all banned.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I said nothing
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?