Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 196

Thread: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

  1. #46
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,281

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by bucknutdet
    West of You,

    You have no proof that was the case, simply guessing.
    You're right, I read it that that was the criteria for "her" paper, I thought the whole class.

    Still doesn't change the fact that she dropped the ball on the assignments rules.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    This actually has nothing to do with the freedom of speech and/or the freedom from governmental interference in the exercise of religion. It has to do with following the rules. There are a lot of things being done that single out the freedom to express Christian ideals in the marketplace of ideas, but this is one of the lamer cases I've seen. I can't understand why the ACLJ is wasting resources on it, to be honest. The ACLU has no interest because no rights were violated. She deserved to be marked down as spelled out in the instructions.
    Hear, hear.

    This is all that needs to be said on the matter.

  4. #48
    Member Reds/Flyers Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cincinnati USA
    Posts
    3,384

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    The problem is banning the word "God" in a community college English class. It's an absurd rule and probably wouldn't be applied evenly with the banning of words such as "Koran" or "Allah," should that situation have presented itself.

    Just another pitiful example of the increasing attempt to secularize America in the same vein as banning Christmas carols in public squares or insisting on the phrase Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

    Finally, since this college proffesor is so vehement in his denial of God in a public forum such as a community college, perhaps he has similar problems with the phrase "In God We Trust" on his American currency. If so, I would be happy to take those bills off his hands so he won't have to see that silly G-word anymore.

  5. #49
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    What is truly laughable is liberal college professors forcing their views on students on college campuses all across this country. You can't disagree with their views if you want to pass the class.
    I majored in political science, specialized in Middle Eastern Studies. We had two very prominant faculty members, one a Palestinian scholar and the other a former Nixon aide and well respected jewish professor. These guys defined the word "biased", but after having taken their classes I never once felt that my grade depended on my views. Why? Because I understood that they were intellectuals, who valued the strength of one's argument over the position taken. I never feared crossing their political bows because I knew they would judge me on my ability to make a point and not on whether I agreed with their world view. Each of them was very hard on their students, those who were in their camp and those who weren't. They demanded deep thinking and probing analysis rather than slogans and rhetoric. What you wrote didn't matter to them as much as the work you had put into it; they were trying to get us all ready for our careers.

    I have read a few articles about liberal professors shoving their ideology down students' throats, failing them when they disagree and I always reflect upon my time in college when fellow students said the same thing about these two professors, one a right wing conservative and the other a former PLO advisor.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  6. #50
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    The problem is banning the word "God" in a community college English class. It's an absurd rule and probably wouldn't be applied evenly with the banning of words such as "Koran" or "Allah," should that situation have presented itself.

    Just another pitiful example of the increasing attempt to secularize America in the same vein as banning Christmas carols in public squares or insisting on the phrase Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

    Finally, since this college proffesor is so vehement in his denial of God in a public forum such as a community college, perhaps he has similar problems with the phrase "In God We Trust" on his American currency. If so, I would be happy to take those bills off his hands so he won't have to see that silly G-word anymore.
    Nicely put. This is all that needs to be said on the matter.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  7. #51
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Nicely put. This is all that needs to be said on the matter.
    No it isn't, because it fails to address three VERY IMPORTANT questions regarding this matter:

    -Why the student failed to follow the concise instructions of the professor,
    -Why, if she was convinced that she would be unable to write such a paper without using the word "God", she didn't attempt to work something out with her professor in advance, rather than blatantly disregarding his instructions, and
    -Why, if she felt that she would be unable to comply with the contraints put in place by the professor, she didn't choose to write on a different topic.

    Just another pitiful example of the increasing attempt to secularize America in the same vein as banning Christmas carols in public squares or insisting on the phrase Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
    They're not comparable at all. Here, a professor laid out very explicit instructions about one word-"God"-that could not be used in a paper discussing religion's role in government. She wasn't told that she couldn't invoke Christianity, religious beliefs, or even Jesus, for that matter.

    If you would like a Biblical example, consider this student to be like Eve in the Garden of Eden. God says, eat from any tree you wish, except that one over there. And yet Eve decided to eat specifically from that tree anyway, and she paid a price for it--she didn't follow instructions. Such is the case here.

  8. #52
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,712

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan
    The problem is banning the word "God" in a community college English class. It's an absurd rule and probably wouldn't be applied evenly with the banning of words such as "Koran" or "Allah," should that situation have presented itself.

    Just another pitiful example of the increasing attempt to secularize America in the same vein as banning Christmas carols in public squares or insisting on the phrase Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

    Finally, since this college proffesor is so vehement in his denial of God in a public forum such as a community college, perhaps he has similar problems with the phrase "In God We Trust" on his American currency. If so, I would be happy to take those bills off his hands so he won't have to see that silly G-word anymore.
    The word wasn't banned in the class, it just wasn't allowed to be included in this person's paper as a part of the assignment. If it unjustly singled her out when other students were allowed to write religious papers, with proper noun references to their deity, then she might have a case. But no one seems to be arguing that, including the attorneys for the plaintiff. They are arguing "free speech" and "freedom of religion" which neither seem to apply in the context of this case. Frivolous lawsuit if you ask me.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  9. #53
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,771

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    No it isn't, because it fails to address three VERY IMPORTANT questions regarding this matter:

    -Why the student failed to follow the concise instructions of the professor,
    -Why, if she was convinced that she would be unable to write such a paper without using the word "God", she didn't attempt to work something out with her professor in advance, rather than blatantly disregarding his instructions, and
    -Why, if she felt that she would be unable to comply with the contraints put in place by the professor, she didn't choose to write on a different topic.
    And we all make conclusions based on what we have read. Do we know anything about the professor? Is the professor some sort of anti-religion nut? Would this be national headlines story of the same story had been told, but a Muslim could not use certain words (you had better believe it) that pertain to his/her religion? We "postulate" on what we MIGHT think is right...

    What is wrong with "God"? If she had used Lord, would it be okay? If so, what is the diff? I will agree that the girl was hardheaded. But is there more to the prof than what is being told? We don't know, but we can postulate on these things like those who postulate on the opposite side of this argument.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  10. #54
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,549

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    And we all make conclusions based on what we have read. Do we know anything about the professor? Is the professor some sort of anti-religion nut? Would this be national headlines story of the same story had been told, but a Muslim could not use certain words (you had better believe it) that pertain to his/her religion? We "postulate" on what we MIGHT think is right...
    All that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the instructor went to church 7 days a week or was a devil worshiper. He said specifically that the student - and since his reason was that others in the class may be offended - others couldn't use it either if they had a similar topic. Bottom line is that the instructor said God couldn't be mentioned but the student did it anyway.

    What is wrong with "God"? If she had used Lord, would it be okay? If so, what is the diff? I will agree that the girl was hardheaded. But is there more to the prof than what is being told? We don't know, but we can postulate on these things like those who postulate on the opposite side of this argument.
    If the instructor said it was wrong then it was wong in that context. Just as schools can ban clothing that has certain words or phrases on it, this instructor could say that using the word "God" in a term paper dealing with religion was not acceptable to him.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  11. #55
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Tybee Island, GA
    Posts
    1,943

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Yeah, it's silly and ridiculous but it makes you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Outside of your own reality.

    And that's what teaching is all about.
    Half the people on this thread just aren't getting this...

    And there's really nothing more that needs to be explained about this article.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

  12. #56
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    And we all make conclusions based on what we have read. Do we know anything about the professor? Is the professor some sort of anti-religion nut?
    SO what if he is? This story doesn't tell us whether he is or isn't. The professor's personal beliefs are a straw man in this argument--the crux of the issue is, were his demands unreasonable? And if so, why didn't she write on another topic?

    Would this be national headlines story of the same story had been told, but a Muslim could not use certain words (you had better believe it) that pertain to his/her religion? We "postulate" on what we MIGHT think is right...
    I can very easily envision a scenario where a Muslim student wished to write about the role of Islam in governments in the Middle East, and the prof would say to do it without invoking the name of Allah.

    What is wrong with "God"?
    Nothing, on the face value of it. But in the context of this particular paper, the prof didn't want the word "God" to be used.

    If she had used Lord, would it be okay? If so, what is the diff?
    My guess is, probably not. based upon the fact that the prof explicitly stated he didn't want "Capital-G God" to appear, he meant a discussion specifically on the Christian God. Since her topic was quite broad--the role of religion in government--it needed to be discussed in general terms.

    I would also purport to say that invoking Allah, Yahweh or other similar deities would have been frowned upon as well. I would ALSO purport to say that the student most likely inquired about writing the topic from a strictly Christian perspective, which is why the prof didn't want "God" included.

    I will agree that the girl was hardheaded. But is there more to the prof than what is being told? We don't know, but we can postulate on these things like those who postulate on the opposite side of this argument.
    You can think what you will about the prof, but I would argue that whatever his personal feelings were, it is a moot point. Were his demands unreasonable? Could she not possibly write a paper about her chosen topic without invoking the word "God"? Could she not have done it without invoking the word "God" 41 times?

    If this had been any other topic besides religion, we wouldn't even be discussing it. Only due to the fact that Christianity is involved is this perceived as an attack on free speech.

  13. #57
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Half the people on this thread just aren't getting this...

    And there's really nothing more that needs to be explained about this article.
    Yep. After my post above, I think I'm done, because I've repeated myself 6-7 times now...

  14. #58
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,469

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    It amazes me that there are so many Christians in America. What with all the persecution and everything.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  15. #59
    Hey Cubs Fans RFS62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    16,599

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it seems pretty simple to me.

    The teacher gave her an assignment with very specific instructions.

    She chose not to follow those instructions.

    She fails.

    Sounds to me like she's looking for attention to further her cause.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

  16. #60
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,773

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but it seems pretty simple to me.

    The teacher gave her an assignment with very specific instructions.

    She chose not to follow those instructions.

    She fails.

    Sounds to me like she's looking for attention to further her cause.
    Not only that, but I think by using the word "God" 41 times she was specifically thumbing her nose at the instructions, in order to get attention.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25