Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 196

Thread: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

  1. #106
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I'm amazed that evangelical Christians ever graduate from secular universities, if this woman is typical of the group.
    I'm amazed that Christians make up 80% of the population in this nation. if I didn't know that, I'd swear we were an abused and persecuted minority fighting for our very survival. At least to hear the evangelicals tell it...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    The Mad Monk Jaycint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern Kentucky
    Posts
    1,283

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I'm amazed that evangelical Christians ever graduate from secular universities, if this woman is typical of the group.
    C'mon RF, that's an awful broad swipe to take at an entire group. I am far from an evangelical Christian but the few that I happen to know don't fit so easily into that pigeon hole that you seem to have created with your statement I quoted.

    Kind of akin to me saying "I'm amazed that any conservative Muslim ever makes it to age 35 if that last guy that blew up the busload of kids is typical of that group."

  4. #108
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,321

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I think you give her too little credit. This wasn't about a term paper or a grade. This was a provocation to draw a response.

    This lady put a chip on her shoulder and dared the prof to give her an F. He did. Then she took action: take it to the media and the ACLJ. She got what she wanted: a response, a national debate and maybe even a lawsuit.

    Unfortunately, this is becoming typical of the radical Christian agenda. Push the religious issue EVERYWHERE, whether it is appropriate or not. Scream ''I'm a martyr" when rebuffed.

    Do we really HAVE to have the 10 commandments in a courthouse? Or prayer in school, for that matter. REALLY NOW. Could Ms. Hauf have chosen another topic (it was an ENGLISH assignment) given the "unfair'' restriction (in the eyes of some) of a certain word. Of course she could.
    Oh, I know. See, here's the thing...

    The professor inside my head told me that I had to write my last post without using the word "martyr" or the phrase "radical Christian agenda".

    If I couldn't have done so, I had a ton of other threads to post on. But I chose to follow those parameters and post here instead.

    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  5. #109
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,659

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Since you include yourself in that statement - please define what an evangelical or Christian is? Don't tell us what you think it isn't, but what it is. And give evidence to back it up.

    I ask this because you say that Christians make up 80% of the population of this nation. And I readily doubt that. And I don't care what any polling data may say. The questions are usually broad and very vague, and I've come to find that many who profess to be Christian deny many of the very basic tenets as laid out by Jesus and the apostles as to what a Christian is. It's like they want to pick and choose, and then create a Christianity that suits their own personal needs, lifestyle, and ideology.You know- more with the times.

    If you asked 10 people off the street what a Christian is, you'll get 10 different responses.

    I no more believe that 80% of this nation is Christian then those who claim this is a Christian nation.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  6. #110
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Oh, I know. See, here's the thing...

    The professor inside my head told me that I had to write my last post without using the word "martyr" or the phrase "radical Christian agenda".

    If I couldn't have done so, I had a ton of other threads to post on. But I chose to follow those parameters and post here instead.


    I guess that earns me an F, as in "I'm going to Hell" (Oops...I did it again)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  7. #111
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Since you include yourself in that statement - please define what an evangelical or Christian is? Don't tell us what you think it isn't, but what it is. And give evidence to back it up.
    OK, well, there are a number of polls that say...
    And I don't care what any polling data may say.
    Oh, well then, never mind.

    And what evidence, pray tell, would you like to see then?

  8. #112
    Churlish Johnny Footstool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Olathe, KS
    Posts
    13,782

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    And I don't care what any polling data may say. The questions are usually broad and very vague, and I've come to find that many who profess to be Christian deny many of the very basic tenets as laid out by Jesus and the apostles as to what a Christian is. It's like they want to pick and choose, and then create a Christianity that suits their own personal needs, lifestyle, and ideology.You know- more with the times.

    If you asked 10 people off the street what a Christian is, you'll get 10 different responses.

    I no more believe that 80% of this nation is Christian then those who claim this is a Christian nation.
    By your own admission on many different occasions, GAC, your definition of Christianity is fairly narrow and exclusive. If I remember correctly from your posts (and I'm not trying to put words in your mouth), you believe in a strict interpretation of the Bible. But there are many, *many* other Christians who don't interpret scripture as you do.

    This has always been a problem with Christianity and with religion in general -- the different sects just refuse to agree with each other.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

  9. #113
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC


    Are you a college graduate?
    Getting pretty close, thanks for asking.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  10. #114
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    C'mon RF, that's an awful broad swipe to take at an entire group. I am far from an evangelical Christian but the few that I happen to know don't fit so easily into that pigeon hole that you seem to have created with your statement I quoted.

    Kind of akin to me saying "I'm amazed that any conservative Muslim ever makes it to age 35 if that last guy that blew up the busload of kids is typical of that group."
    I threw evangelical in there for a reason. Most Christians (most of whom GAC wouldn't consider true Christians) aren't anything like this woman. Nearly all evangelicals that I've met are a great deal like her.

    I worked five summers at an evangelical Christian camp (Salvation Army), and she's very representative of the group. Most of them are very nice people, don't get me wrong, I loved most of the people I worked with. But on certain issues it was best just to ignore things.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  11. #115
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Freak
    Did this professor tell all of the students as a group that their papers could not use the word God, or just her individually? If he singled her out because of a topic he does not agree with, he violated her freedom of speech.

    I have taught and continue to teach college courses, and I have not agreed with all of the topics my students have written about. The point of a research paper if to learn how to do research, write up the research, and integrate your own thoughts with the research.

    The standards I set for my classes research papers apply to everyone. For example, I tell all of my students if the paper does not meet the minimum page requirement, they automatically get a zero. I do not regulate specific variable in the topic. One student of mine wrote a paper and gave a presentation against affirmative action, a topic I'm sure offended some in the class.

    The issue to me isn't the criteria itself. if he told all of the students, that's one thing. If I was doing a research paper on the Holcaust, it might offend people as well.

    I wrote two fairly controversial research papers in college, one on the Kennedy assassination, and one on the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ. I received an A on both of them, with the teacher sharing parts with the class and explaining that, while he didn't personally agree with me, I did an excellent job of researching my points. There wasn't a teacher that I respected more at that college after that.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  12. #116
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Perhaps her paper included quotes such as these,

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    "Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."


    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    "I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."


    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."


    Quote Originally Posted by George Washington
    "Let us raise a standard to which the wise and honest can repair; the rest is in the hands of God."


    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    "Surely God would not have created such a being as man, with an ability to grasp the infinite, to exist only for a day! No, no, man was made for immortality."


    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    "With Malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds."
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Hamilton
    "The voice of the people has been said to be the voice of God; and, however generally this maxim has been quoted and believed, it is not true to fact. The people are turbulent and changing, they seldom judge or determine right."
    Maybe not, but we don't know...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  13. #117
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,564

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Not much, but these two articles give a little bit more information on this topic.

    http://www.esnider.net/

    June 6

    The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), which specializes in constitutional law, today demanded that a community college in California reverse a low grade given to a student who was punished for including a reference to God in a paper written for an English class.

    “It is absolutely unbelievable that a student would be punished for presenting a thoughtful and well written paper that included references to God,” said Jay Sekulow, Chief Counsel of the ACLJ, which is representing the student. “The actions by the instructor reflect a profound hostility toward religious expression and his actions clearly violate the constitutional rights of our client. We are demanding that the college immediately remove the low grade given for this paper and order the instructor to end his discriminatory treatment, and apologize to the student for his actions. We are giving the school an opportunity to correct this injustice before federal litigation is considered.”

    The ACLJ today sent a letter to Patricia Spencer, President of Victor Valley Community College in Victorville, CA regarding an incident involving adjunct instructor Michael Shefchik and his actions toward student Bethany Hauf. The issue revolves around an assignment given to an English class by Shefchik.

    Hauf notified the instructor that her topic for the research paper would be “Religion and Its Place within the Government.” In an email to Hauf, Shefchik, a self-described atheist, said the topic was within the bounds of the assignment. However, he put one troubling condition on Hauf’s paper: “I have one limiting factor,” wrote Shefchik, “no mention of the big “G” gods, i.e., one, true god argumentation.” After pursuing this topic and presenting a draft of the paper to Shefchik, as required by course requirements, Hauf was told that, at best, because she had written off topic about God, she would be graded 69 out of a possible 100 points. Shefchik told Hauf that among the reasons for the low grade was that references to “God” could be offensive. After presenting her paper on Friday, Shefchik handed out the final grade on Monday and gave Hauf a score of 49 out of a possible 100 points for the research paper.

    Hauf’s paper included a thoughtful and historical look at the role that God and religion have played in the formation of our country and government.

    In a letter sent today to the college president, the ACLJ contends the actions of the instructor violate the First Amendment rights of Hauf including numerous rulings of the Supreme Court of the United States which safeguard student speech and expression. The ACLJ is demanding that the discriminatory treatment of Hauf by Shefchik cease, that the instructor recalculate and reverse the scoring for the paper, and that the instructor apologize to Hauf for his discriminatory treatment of her views. The ACLJ letter states: “It is imperative that this situation be corrected immediately to avoid possible litigation in federal court.”

    Led by Chief Counsel Jay Sekulow, the American Center for Law and Justice specializes in constitutional law. The ACLJ is based in Washington, D.C.


    http://www.phyrfight.com/weblog/index.php?p=87


    n her English 101 course, Bethany Hauf, a freshman at a community college in California, was told that she could pick the topic to be discussed in the quarterly term paper. She chose to discuss “Religion and its Place within the Government.” The professor, Michael Shefchik, responded by noting the controversial nature of the topic, calling it one the “two most taboo and subjective topics.” While he approved the paper, he had a specific request that Bethany not mention God in the paper. In fact, in an email, the professor specifically told Bethany “I have one limiting factor—no mention of big “G” gods, i.e., one, true god argumentation.” He went on to say in the same email that the separation of church and state has to be respected, and it would be more appropriate to discuss the topic from a different vantage point. Specifically, the professor stated that “perhaps ‘Religion has no place in government’ would be a more viable and topical subject.”

    After presenting a draft of the paper to Shefchik, as required by course requirements, Hauf was told that because she had written off topic about God, at best, she would be graded 69 out of a possible 100 points. Shefchik told Hauf that among the reasons for the low grade was that references to “God” could be offensive. After presenting her paper on Friday, Shefchik handed out the final grade on Monday and gave Hauf a score of 49 out of a possible 100 points for the research paper.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  14. #118
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,459

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    I find it amusing that your first link is soliciting donations for the ACLJ Sava.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  15. #119
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,759

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Shefchik told Hauf that among the reasons for the low grade was that references to “God” could be offensive.
    The professor, Michael Shefchik, responded by noting the controversial nature of the topic, calling it one the “two most taboo and subjective topics.” While he approved the paper, he had a specific request that Bethany not mention God in the paper. In fact, in an email, the professor specifically told Bethany “I have one limiting factor—no mention of big “G” gods, i.e., one, true god argumentation.” He went on to say in the same email that the separation of church and state has to be respected, and it would be more appropriate to discuss the topic from a different vantage point. Specifically, the professor stated that “perhaps ‘Religion has no place in government’ would be a more viable and topical subject.”

    Shefchik told Hauf that among the reasons for the low grade was that references to “God” could be offensive.
    I would want to actually read the paper before making any judgment about its quality or the grade it deserved.
    I do find the statements supposedly made by the professor to be of interest though. He apparently objected to the paper, at least in part, because the mention of God offended him. So what? A professor, even more than a student, should be able to tolerate reading ideas that "offend" him. It also appears that the professor may have had his own agenda, if he really said that "Religion has no place in government" was a better topic.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

  16. #120
    Harry Chiti Fan registerthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    5,872

    Re: Term paper about "God" earns student failing grade

    You know what *I* find interesting?

    Everyone, go do a Google search for "Bethany Hauf".

    Now, show me one single link to a legitimate news site that picked up this story. Just one would suffice. I'm not talking about the AP< Reuters, UPI, etc...show me a local paper, magazine, or whomever that actually ran this.

    The only sites I am able to find that actually ran this story are blogs, the ACLJ website, and other similar sites that could hardly be considered fair or unbiased.

    Then again, this is all probably part of the vast anti-Christian conspiracy to keep this story out of the press.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25