Turn Off Ads?

Thread: London Mayor's Advice for Water Shortage: Shower Less and Don't Flush That #1

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

London Mayor's Advice for Water Shortage: Shower Less and Don't Flush That #1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/water/stor...517040,00.html
    Think before you flush - mayor's latest message to Londoners

Hugh Muir
    Wednesday June 29, 2005
    The Guardian

In the five years since his ascent to power, few areas of life have gone untouched by the mayor of London. His writ has encompassed transport, policing and health. But yesterday, by way of addressing water conservation, he turned to the tricky matter of how Londoners wash and use the toilet. Unveiling plans for a concerted drive to cut water waste, Ken Livingstone urged Londoners to refrain from flushing the toilet if they have had only "a pee".

In this era of energy austerity, the mayor said responsible citizens will also eschew the wasteful tendency to bathe and will instead take showers, but that even then they will be expected to show moderation. People addicted to power showers will be expected to consider how this appears amid a climate of denial, as will those who brush their teeth or wash vegetables under streams of running water, or run the washing machine half full. The mayor will also seek legal powers to make the capital more energy efficient. On Friday, when he meets the environment secretary, Margaret Beckett, he will ask for legislation to empower him to impose water metering for the first time. He will also seek an immediate hosepipe ban, a ban on "incredibly wasteful" sprinklers and the introduction of a drought order, which would make it easier to impose immediate restrictions.

He said that without a change in practices and attitudes, the only way London could cope with another dry winter would be to introduce standpipes as early as next year.

Mr Livingstone said a third of London's water was flushed down the toilet. "We are asking people to consider - and obviously it is a matter of personal choice - that if all you have done is take a pee, you don't need to flush the toilet every time.

"The quickest and most dramatic impact that we can make is - don't use a sprinkler or hose in the garden, don't use a hose to water your car, and don't flush the lavatory if you have just had a pee. If we can get people doing that, the consumption rate will go down and we will start seeing not just a build-up of our reserves but we will also start to reduce the amounts of energy we consume."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: London Mayor's Advice for Water Shortage: Shower Less and Don't Flush That #1

That's what we had to do in 1993 when a flood got into the waterworks plant. We didn't have running water for a week much less drinking water. We didn't have good drinking water for about a month. Thank goodness my apartment was near the swimming pool. We were allowed to take water out of the pool for the toilet. Before they actually turned the water off I got every plastic container I could find and filled them up with water to bathe and cook with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Re: London Mayor's Advice for Water Shortage: Shower Less and Don't Flush That #1

Sounds like normal west coast drought years.

When I lived in Texas the rule of thumb was...

"If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down"

That's what we had to do in 1993 when a flood got into the waterworks plant.
    Oh dear god! Water?! In the waterworks plant?! No wonder there was such a shortage!

Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Oh dear god! Water?! In the waterworks plant?! No wonder there was such a shortage!

Yeah, the river water got into the plant and contaminated the whole water supply. My sister lived in West Des Moines then and they had a separate plant and they had water to drink and shower with.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Yeah, the river water got into the plant and contaminated the whole water supply. My sister lived in West Des Moines then and they had a separate plant and they had water to drink and shower with.

...and yet you spent hours and hours filling plastic cups with pool water????

Why not just drive to her house and fill up some buckets? Better yet, why not just go to her house, cook and take a shower? :
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75

That's been our motto in a lot of camps I've stayed in. Plumbing always breaks down ..... usually from so many kids using the toilet with huge wads of paper.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader

Why not just drive to her house and fill up some buckets? Better yet, why not just go to her house, cook and take a shower? :
    Well, it wasn't hours and hours. I went out with some friends that evening and we got back to my place and saw the report on the news that the water would be shut off later that morning. So I got as much water as I could out of the faucets and put them in the fridge. It didn't take that long. I only used the pool water for flushing. Taking a shower was interesting. I used gallon milk jugs and heated the water on the stove, wet myself with it and washed, rinsed, and dried off. I had to do something similar when I broke my ankle last year only the water was already hot and back then I didn't have to worry about getting my cast wet. I didn't go to my sister's till about a week later to take a real shower.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    How did you keep people from peeing in all that pool water?
    Makes all the routine posts.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?