Thread: Putin Pockets Super Bowl Ring

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Putin Pockets Super Bowl Ring

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8402895/prin...playmode/1098/
    Putin pockets Pats owner’s Super Bowl ring
    It's not clear if diamond-encrusted bauble was given as gift

The Associated Press
    Updated: 9:47 a.m. ET June 29, 2005

BOSTON - Russian President Vladimir Putin walked off with New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft’s diamond-encrusted 2005 Super Bowl ring, but was it a generous gift or a very expensive international misunderstanding?Following a meeting of American business executives and Putin at Konstantinovsky Palace near St. Petersburg on Saturday, Kraft showed the ring to Putin — who tried it on, put it in his pocket and left, said Russian news reports.

It isn’t clear yet if Kraft, whose business interests also include paper and packaging companies and venture capital investments, intended that Putin keep the ring.

Patriots spokesman Stacey James said Wednesday that Kraft was traveling and he hadn’t talked to him in four or five days, despite e-mails and calls. “He’s still overseas, I can’t even tell you where. ... He’s not due back until next week.”

“It’s an incredible story. I just haven’t been able to talk to Robert Kraft to confirm the story,” James told The Associated Press.

However, a Kremlin official who spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear of compromising his position said the ring was a present. “Such a present was made,” the official said.

He said Putin had given the ring to the Kremlin library where other foreign gifts are kept.

James said the ring’s worth was “substantially more” than $15,000, as the value had been reported. He refused to be specific, but noted that the ring has 124 diamonds.

Kraft handed out Super Bowl rings to players and coaches at his home two weeks ago.

The Patriots have won three of the last four Super Bowls.

Knowing Putin's KGB background, I don't think I'd be pushing him to get this ring back either.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Putin Pockets Super Bowl Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Knowing Putin's KGB background, I don't think I'd be pushing him to get this ring back either.
    No doubt! And knowing Kraft's financial background, I have a feeling that he'll be wearing another one very soon.

Make me wonder... would Pete Rose ever be so generous with his MLB stuff? Or has he already sold it all on ebay & Home Shopping Network? Perhaps he gave some as "a gift" to seedy types... to keep all of his limbs in normal order. Just makes me wonder...

Turn Off Ads?