Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homeland Security looks to get tough on gangs

Homeland Security looks to get tough on gangs

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...943049,00.html

By Lisa Friedman, Washington Bureau

Under legislation backed Tuesday by a Ventura County congressman, the Department of Homeland Security would be able to deport immigrants who have not been convicted of committing crimes, if they belong to a group the government has designated as a criminal gang.

Under the bill, the U.S. attorney in Los Angeles or another district also could secretly designate new criminal street gangs, making immigrants in those groups eligible for deportation. Any group that the government decrees to be a gang could not challenge the designation for up to two years.

Rep. Elton Gallegly, R-Thousand Oaks, a lead co-sponsor of the bill, said it would "help to reclaim our neighborhoods by allowing the United States to immediately deport gang members who are in the United States illegally."

And the bill's author, Rep. Randy Forbes, R-Va., said current laws that allow immigrants to be deported after being convicted of an aggravated felony aren't good enough.

"There are those who want us to wait until we have victims to do something about it," Forbes said at a House Judiciary Subcommittee debate on his bill.

Critics questioned the need and legality of the Forbes proposal.

"The idea that we could criminalize people who have never committed a crime in their life is quite staggering," said Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich.

David Cole, a professor at the Georgetown University Law Center, said it "imposes guilt by association, resurrecting the worst of the McCarthy era."

The bill also would:

Block visas for anyone whom a consular office or the Homeland Security Department believes is a member of a criminal gang.

Prevent immigrants from questioning the validity of the gang designation in a deportation hearing.

Allow groups designated as gangs to seek a judicial review in U.S. District Court, although they could not provide new evidence.

Rep. Howard Berman, D-Van Nuys, said he wants the Justice Department to review the measure.

"I can't think of a group of people I would rather see removed from the country," he said about gang members. "I certainly agree with the goals, but I'd like to see what the Justice Department says about its constitutionality."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homeland Security looks to get tough on gangs

This is why you don't give the government new powers unless you don't mind them being abused.

I thought Homeland Security was supposed to combat terrorism?

Under the bill, the U.S. attorney in Los Angeles or another district also could secretly designate new criminal street gangs, making immigrants in those groups eligible for deportation. Any group that the government decrees to be a gang could not challenge the designation for up to two years.
    That's a stunning abuse of power.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    That's a stunning abuse of power.
    But feasible, since gangs lack grassroots support. Plus, it'll sound boffo in the campaign ads of those who vote for it. Certainly the ACLU will weigh in on this and dirty up the skids to keep this from sailing through Congress unimpeded.
    /r/reds

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Is that Homeland Security or some gang?

---'Roser

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser
    Is that Homeland Security or some gang?

---'Roser
    Both, actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

Good. Anything that gets tough on gangs is good in my book. Especially people who are here on visas and decide to join a gang. Deport those types? DARN RIGHT. Gangs are a terror to law-abiding citizens of this great country. Want companionship? Join a church group or get to the local boys/girls club. Want to join a gang? No sympathy from me. But wait... you say you have not commited a crime? Yep... that is why you belong to a gang. WE ALL KNOW: Gangs are known for their charitable causes at nursing homes and the time they donate to the United Way. They are very active in helping deprived peoples of all races and religions. They are just good for society and should be promoted.

Sounds real simple to me: you are here on a visa, you join a gang that is known to break laws and do nothing good for society... you are subject to deportation. Don't like it, then don't join the gang. How simple is that? I guess it isn't so simple if you think gangs and people who are not citizens of this country and decide to join a lawless gang need protection and deserve to be here.

Turn Off Ads?