Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woman wins right to drop top

Woman wins right to drop top

http://www.southflorida.com/news/orl...la-news-fringe

By Jeff Libby
    Sentinel Staff Writer

DAYTONA BEACH -- Elizabeth Book, the stay-at-home mom with a rose tattoo, has won the right to bare her breasts in her ongoing fight to go shirtless anywhere men can.

On Saturday at noon, the 40-something "top-free" revolutionary plans to demonstrate her right to protest by dropping her top at the Peabody Auditorium next to three statues of women nude from the waist up.

"I will be as top-free as the statues," Book said Monday in an e-mail to the nudists and naturists who have gathered to support her cause. "This is not over until Daytona is forced to recognize the unconstitutionality of their ordinances and statutes aimed at the American woman's breasts."

Daytona Beach says Book's victory in court June 21 was only temporary and probably will be appealed.

"She should probably save her exuberance for a time when all the appeals have ended," Assistant City Attorney Greg McDole said. "There are a number of appeals left and a number of years before this is a binding precedent."

Book's Orlando attorney Larry Walters said any appeal by the city would be "frivolous at this point."

Volusia County Judge David Beck ended more than a year of legal wrangling last week, ruling that Book, of Ormond Beach, was within her rights when she bared her breasts as part of a political protest during Bike Week in March 2004.

The city's anti-nudity ordinance allows an exemption for nudity that is part of a political protest or other constitutionally protected issue, Beck said, throwing out her arrest and the fine for $253. The city passed the rule in 2002 to curb indecency at special events.

Book has argued that the law unfairly preys on young women who flash their breasts for the crowd. Women should be able to go without shirts wherever men can, Book says.

Book's victory in court does little to help those young women. Revelers showing their breasts for beads and drinks would not be exempted from the city ordinance, Beck said.

"That's a battle for another day," Walters said.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Woman wins right to drop top

I have no problem with women baring their breasts in public.

Well, as long as they are hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The important thing that's missing here is a pic of Miss Book.

As long as she's comfortable with me wearing my "Boob Inspector" hat whenever she's around.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    The important thing that's missing here is a pic of Miss Book.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Ummmm, not sure how I feel about the issue now. About 14 beers from now I'd say I'd be all in favor.

For a Level Playing Field

I saw a story about this NUTCASE on the news one time. She is not about freedoms and whatever else you may think is good.... she is about attention. And she loves to shake "things" for cameras and anyone else who will whistle at her. She does not care about kids who may not "get it". She is about her and herself.

I say to Ms. Book, "Take another hit, lady!"

Martha Stewart gone wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Martha Stewart gone wild.

Rep points to you... if I could give them that is...

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I saw a story about this NUTCASE on the news one time. She is not about freedoms and whatever else you may think is good.... she is about attention. And she loves to shake "things" for cameras and anyone else who will whistle at her. She does not care about kids who may not "get it". She is about her and herself.

I say to Ms. Book, "Take another hit, lady!"
    Uh, what news are you watching and what channel is it on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    HA! I don't know, but those darn bunny ears in the lower right corner keep blocking my view!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I think he's watching the "Girls Gone Wild" advertisements. He probably fell asleep watching Matlock and awoke to cat calls and images of women grinding and shaking it.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

I can't get past counting her hands...one...two...thr__

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski
    I can't get past counting her hands...one...two...thr__
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?