Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Movie Scorecard

Summer Movie Scorecard

I've caught a few of the summer "blockbusters" in the last few weeks, and here are my opinions.

Batman Begins was excellent. There's really not much more I can say about it than what was written in the exclusive thread about this film. So much more than just another superhero movie, and a great new beginning for a fledgling franchise. Grade: A+

Bewitched was cute. It had it's funny moments. As in Batman Begins, Michael Caine is very good in this film. I really like Will Ferrell, but this isn't his strongest work. It's a decent date movie, but fans of the original series may be disappointed. I did find it better than the critics did however. Grade: C+

The Longest Yard was just okay. It seemed too gimmicky for my tastes, and the acting just didn't come off as genuine. For a film that teamed up Sandler with Chris Rock, I really expected a lot more laughs. Grade: C-

Mr. and Mrs. Smith had one thing going for it. Angelina Jolie was smoking hot! Other than that, the movie was a bit corny. Both Jolie and Pitt did a good job with what they had to work with, but that wasn't much. It all was just too glossy with too little substance. A lot of cool explosions though. Grade: C-

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was excellent. A great final chapter in the Star Wars saga. I've already said all I needed to on the thread about this film. If you haven't seen it, go, right now. If you have seen it, see it again, or read the novel. Grade: A+
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Summer Movie Scorecard

For the ones I have seen:

Batman Begins: A
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith: B
    Star Wars III: B

Batman Begins: A+
    Star Wars III: A
    Cinderella Man: B+
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith: B

I see a ton of movies since my sister is a manager at a local Showcase Cinemas.

Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith: (A) The best of the three recent Star Wars films. The dual Obi Wan/Vader and Yoda/Palpatine battles was classic. It did a masterful job of tying the story together.

Longest Yard: (C) I never saw the original but this one was cute. Although it is somewhat disturbing that the audience (including me) pulls so hard for murderous convicts to kick the crap out of their prison guards. Since I'm so ready for football to start (thanks Reds), this movie was well-timed.

Mr. & Mrs.: (B) Great action movie. Brad Pitt is one of my favorites and this role fits him well. I thought it ended prematurely and it didn't develop the story far enough after they accepted who it was that they were and that they would work together.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: (B-) I was forced into this one by my girlfriend. It wasn't bad at all. It's the story of four longtime friends who go their separate ways during summer for the first time. The movie then divides into four mini-stories centered around a shared pair of jeans.

Herbie: (D) I thought Lindsay Lohan was pretty bad in this movie. The '64 VW bug is clearly the star here.

Bewitched: (F) A huge disappointment for me. As a fan of the original TV series, this one had almost no sense of attachment or nostalgia. It was more about Will Farrel's character as a failed actor being cast into the hapless role of Darren. No cameos from original Bewitched cast members (although there probably aren't many left). Only Aunt Clara and Uncle Arthur, along with Samantha's parents, are in the movie -- despite an original cast of dozens. And Will Farrel wasn't funny in his role. An insult to a great TV series. Hopefully, if they ever remake "I Dream of Jeanie" it is done the right way with respect to the original story.

War of the Worlds: (A) I am a big fan of special effects and this one has plenty. The alien "Tripod" machines were intimidating, and that was before I even saw what they could do. This movie has no slow parts...it flows well.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 07-01-2005 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan

War of the Worlds: (A) I am a big fan of special effects and this one has plenty. The alien "Tripod" machines were intimidating, and was before I even saw what they could do. This movie has no slow parts...it flows well.
    Cool, I may have to check it out now.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Batman Begins - A+

Star Wars III - A+
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Just saw Land of the Dead for the second time. I give it an A-. Couple parts of the script I would have done differently. The effects were ghoulishly great!

Just saw War of the Worlds. Not bad, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. Solid B.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Time is the Revelator.

out of 4 stars:

Batman Begins: 4/4

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: 3.5/4

Crash: 3.5/4

The Upside of Anger: 3.5/4

Constantine: 3/4

In Good Company: 3/4

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: 3/4

The I Inside: 3/4

Fever Pitchl: 3/4

Bride & Prejudice: 3/4

Elektra: 2.5/4

Mindhunters: 2/4

Assault on Precinct 13: 2/4

Creep: 2/4

Coach Carter :1.5/4

D.E.B.S.: 1/4

Because of Winn-Dixie: .5/4

Alone in the Dark: 0/4

Batman Begins; A
    SW: Revenge of the Sith; A-
    Land of the Dead; C

I've only been to three movies in the last couple of months.
    Batman Begins: B+
    Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: B+
    Sahara: C+
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

War of the Worlds: B+
    Batman Begins: A
    Cinderella Man: B-
    Star Wars Episode 3: A-
    The Longest Yard: D+
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

They call me "chef"

Batman Begins - A
    Land of the Dead - D

Casting was terrible. The zombies weren't scary or realistic looking. The plot made no sense. What went right?

War of the Worlds: F

War of the Worlds: F
    Wow. I didn't think it was *that* bad. What didn't you like about it, fc?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?