Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Tour de France thread

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

2005 Tour de France thread

Sometime tomorrow morning here in the US, the 2005 Tour de France gets underway.

6 time champ Lance Armstrong goes for his 7th win in a row, and he has said this will be his final Tour.

The first trial is a quick time trial, 19km (under 12 miles) in length, and takes place on the far west coast of France

Sunday's stage is a grueling 181km (112miles) flat section, continuing down France's western shore

Don't look for Lance to make any moves to lead until the mountain stages start in the south of France. The Mountains kick in about stage 14 (July 16th), where Armstrong typically destroys the competition and puts the field to bed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2005 Tour de France thread

Every stage will be broadcast on the Outdoor Life Network. They do an excellent job. For those who don't get OLN as part of your normal cable package, you might during the Tour. They make their service free to cable providers during the race. For instance, I have Comcast and, starting tomorrow, OLN should be visible to me on its normal channel that I don't get as well as on every other channel I don't get.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Every stage will be broadcast on the Outdoor Life Network. They do an excellent job. For those who don't get OLN as part of your normal cable package, you might during the Tour. They make their service free to cable providers during the race. For instance, I have Comcast and, starting tomorrow, OLN should be visible to me on its normal channel that I don't get as well as on every other channel I don't get.
    OLN was fantastic last year - from about the 7th stage I watched every day.

It starts at 5 am Pacific Time tomorrow, and I've got my TiVo ready to roll

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...155779/1/.html

CHALLANS, France : Reigning champion Lance Armstrong of the United States was given a surprise anti-doping test on the eve of the Tour de France, race sources revealed.

The test was carried out in the afternoon by doctors from the French sports ministry.

Cycling's world governing body UCI decides which riders will undergo spot tests from both blood and urine samples during the three week race.

All 189 riders on the Tour de France were Thursday declared fit to race after blood tests showed no doping.

Armstrong opens his bid for a seventh consecutive crown Saturday in the opening stage, a 19km time trial through western France.

- AFP /ls
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

i got hooked last year. Very addictive. The beautiful French countyside, the crazy wierdness of the race, terriffic announcing, and of course Armstrong.

An American won today, but it wasn't Lance - he placed 2nd in the 1st stage.

But in the process, he put about 1 minute and more on all of his chief rivals. What a way to start out of the gate.

Thumbs up for the US all around, with a handful of Americans in the top 15

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/4644809.stm

A Belgiun by the name of Tom Boonen on the "Quick-Step" team won the 181km stage 2.

Here are the overall standings after two days - four Americans in the Top 10

Overall standings:
    1. David Zabriskie (US/CSC) 4hrs 12mins 27secs
    2. Lance Armstrong (US/Discovery) at 0:02
    3. Laszlo Bodrogi (Hun/Credit Agricole) at 0:47
    4. Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz/T-Mobile) at 0:53
    5. George Hincapie (US/Discovery) at 0:57
    6. Floyd Landis (US/Phonak) at 1:02
    7. Fabian Cancellara (Swi/Fassa Bortolo) same time
    8. Jan Ullrich (Ger/T-Mobile) at 1:03
    9. Jens Voigt (Ger/CSC) at 1:04
    10. Vladimir Karpets (Rus/Illes Balears) at 1:05

Stage 3 tomorrow has some good elevation changes and some solid climbs on it

Nothing major yet, but it'll be the first stage with several mid-level climbs on it.

The stage is 212.5km, or about 131miles

A familiar site

Lance today donned the Yellow Jersey for the first time of the 2005 Tour de France.

His Discovery Channel team pushed him ahead of in the waning minutes of today's team time trial.

Fellow Discovery Channel team member and Lance's top Lieutenant George Hincapie is now in 2nd overall.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 07-05-2005 at 08:14 PM.

Has Lance ever started this fast before? If memory serves he always hangs in the top 10-15 until about Stage 15, when he makes his move and takes the Yellow Jersey for good. I hope he doesn't burn himself out making "one last statment."
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Has Lance ever started this fast before? If memory serves he always hangs in the top 10-15 until about Stage 15, when he makes his move and takes the Yellow Jersey for good. I hope he doesn't burn himself out making "one last statment."
    I have a feeling he knows what he's doing. His ability to adopt the right strategy for this race has always been astounding. I think it is true that he has usually waited longer to establish the lead, but my sense is that he's doing what he thinks is required at this time to end up leading at the end. It may have more to do with the track and the conditions than anything else.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

RL/SD, I believe it was the 4th or 5th stage last year as well, that Armstrong took the lead, almost by default, and then surrendered it a few days later, only to demolish the competition once they hit the Alps.

I think this may be the same strategy once again

EDIT - It was the 5th stage last year.
    Here's a good breakdown on this ESPN.com story about where Lance was at in relation to leading/being behind from 1999 up to the 5th stage last year. Looks like it varies from year to year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=1835657

Go Lance!

I love how the American always goes over to France and crushes them at their own game
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

This story from this morning about Lance

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/othe...ng/4657365.stm

Earlier, Tour leader Lance Armstrong was forced to wear the yellow jersey against his will.

The American initially refused to put on the jersey as a tribute to David Zabriskie, who lost the lead after a fall on Tuesday.

"No one really takes the jersey if there is a crash involving the leader," said Armstrong. "It wouldn't be right."

But officials told the six-times Tour winner the rules did not allow him to make such a gesture.

Well the flat stages are just about behind them. Tommorow is when it starts to get intresting. Go Team CA. good luck to my fave rider Stuie O'Grady. Off work tomorrow so I can settle down for 4 hrs of live coverage

Turn Off Ads?