Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Tour de France thread

Re: 2005 Tour de France thread

What happened to the Discovery guys today. Lance is God, but even God can't win the TDF without a little help from his teammates. Tomorrow should be very interesting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lance seemed a little worried in his interview afterwards about the lack of support at the end. I watched the stage from the start and wondered why he sent big George Hincapie up the road tracking a small bunch who where no threat to him on the GC. George should be with Armstrong at the back end of the race as he has the experience now & can climb much better than he used to.

Great performance by Kloden who has been seriously out of form so far this season, Ullrich will hope that Kloden can add some solid support for the rest of the tour. It wasn't a bad day for Lance as no real damage was done, but he needs support from the other Discovey guys over the next week as he cannot continue to track attacks from his rivals like he tried to yesterday.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I thought Lance did look a little irked and ready for a good reaming in the post race interview myself as well.

Kloden kicked some major tail today. Shocked the heck out of everyone. Although props to the young Dutch kid who really did a yeomans job of getting way out in front and sustaining it to win the stage.

Tomorrow's going to be the real fun. OLN's expanding their coveage to five hours from three since the Tour's in the Alps now. With as many times as it's repeated during the day, That'll pretty much turn OLN into 24 hr Tour de France this week.

I love it. This is the part of the race that makes my calves and legs just burn watching it, and fires me up to go run out and grab my bike.

Check out the monster elevation changes on Sunday's ride

And one other thing, I know most people are watching this just to watch Lance thump guys, and I'll admit that's a huge reason I started watching and continue to do so.

But I'd love to see a little more coverage of the other Americans in the race - considering it's an American TV station I'm watching. Bobby Julich's been in the top 5 for a week now, yet you never hear about him and certainly rarely see him. Levi Leipheimer's been hanging around the top 15 all week as well, and today was the first time I've heard him mentioned more than just in passing.

Maybe it's just due to the feed the French TV networks send out and the OLN commentators have to react to, but it's just a quirk I've noticed.

I am a big Bobby Julich fan He has never acheived what he should in this race , apart from his 3rd a few years ago. He can climb no doubt about that. Out of intrest Jm , who commentates over there for you guys ? Is it Liggott & Sherwin ? If so you are lucky as we only get them on the highlights package on another channel. I watch on Eurosport who to be fair are really dedicated to the sport who have Shaun Kelly as co-commenter (really broad Irish accent) he won the Green Jersey a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK
    I am a big Bobby Julich fan He has never acheived what he should in this race , apart from his 3rd a few years ago. He can climb no doubt about that. Out of intrest Jm , who commentates over there for you guys ? Is it Liggott & Sherwin ? If so you are lucky as we only get them on the highlights package on another channel. I watch on Eurosport who to be fair are really dedicated to the sport who have Shaun Kelly as co-commenter (really broad Irish accent) he won the Green Jersey a few times.
    Yup, it's Liggett and Sherwin with Al Trautwig and Bob Roll doing the pre and post show with the two of them.

Always solid, I've learned more about cycling racing in the two years now I've watched the Tour then I ever imagined just from listening to those two.

Yep they are very good . Well it's on in 30 mins so a shower first then settle down with a few cold beers watching the Tour (and a bit of Cricket ) .

David Zabriske who won the opening TT has abandoned, Ullrich has fell on the descent.

What I dig about Liggett is the steady stream of Brit vernacular. I remember last year when he was marvelling at Robbie McEwen, stressing, "It's amazing he can get that kind of acceleration when there's not of him."

RawOwl, I like Julich too. I remember back in 1998 I thought he was going to be the next big American star in the sport, not Lance.

Anyway, huge leg from Rasmussen today. If he can hit the Alps like that, he's going to be a serious threat. Christophe Moreau also looks real solid.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

\
    If i remember right, Rasmussen got some big leads last year but always cracked. Not today. Watching him desend down the big mountain was really something.
    The guy whos laying in the weeds is Basso.

Discovery looked in charge again today, but are they as good as Postal was?

Well I dont know much about TDF, but I just want Lance to win his last one. If he doesn't win, I bet he will be wishing he stopped last year!
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

I figure the only way Basso can win is if Lance cracks in the mountains. Otherwise he's going to get overwhelmed during the time trials.

If somebody's going to beat Lance I figure it's going to be a real sleeper, someone he'll let go up the road figuring the guy isn't a threat.

Loved how Rasmussen blew off suggestions that he might be a threat, instead pointing out that Denis Mentchov, who almost fell off the back of the pelloton yesterday, is his team's GC rider.

Yeah, pay no attention to him, all he did was run away and hide on the first mountain stage of the course.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Great ride by LA today, dissapointing how his main rivals cracked today. Tommorow is a tougher day than today so we'll see if they can come back at him.

The old man really laid the hammer down today. Very similiar to his match with Basso in the first mountain stage last year. We will never see his likes again so enjoy him while we can.

Unreal. Armstrong blew the field apart at the seams on that mountain ... and I'm guessing he does it again tomorrow when the climbing's supposed to be get more punishing. Discovery Channel also might have obliterated every other team in the field. Lance has got himself a serious domestique advantage.

Seems like Rasmussen is the only guy with a shot at Lance at this point. Basso managed to keep himself mildly visible in the rearview, but he looks more like a guy who's hanging on than a guy who's waiting to pounce.

Turn Off Ads?