Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn Deal Doesn't Add Up -Cincinnati Post 7/4

Dunn Deal Doesn't Add Up -Cincinnati Post 7/4

At this point, Dunn deal doesn't add up

Column by The Post's Lonnie Wheeler

A lot of the Reds' hardest decisions revolve around Adam Dunn, and we're not talking about where to put the big guy in the batting order.

On second thought, maybe we will talk about that for a moment, because Jerry Narron seems to have a swell idea. Dunn was batting second Sunday for the second time in days - sandwiched around a seventh and a fourth - in spite of his 21 homers and 275 pounds. The jocular Texan is not your prototypical sacrifice bunter - it took him a couple years of hard swinging to produce a sacrifice fly - but he is brimming with that hot sabermetric commodity, get-on-baseness, which is particularly useful for the top of the order.

The man walks a lot, partly because he's picky for a guy who will eat anything, and partly because pitchers tend to steer clear of 500-foot strikes if they can. Plus, the person Dunn drives in the most is his big ol' country self, in which case you may as well move him up in the order for another whack at Mehring Way.

"I've been thinking about it for a long while, really," said Narron, the interim manager. "Dunn gets on base."

There's a fair chance, of course, that the bases on balls will taper off for the long-hitting Longhorn, what with Ken Griffey Jr. and Sean Casey batting behind him; but that, in turn, could extrapolate to more home runs. If this move turns out to be a win-win, that's already more wins than the Reds usually see in a week.

For a refreshingly normal major-leaguer, meanwhile, Dunn is a most peculiar ballplayer. He reaches base in spite of a low batting average. He's a power hitter who leaves runners in scoring position. He's a strikeout prodigy that teams don't want to pitch to.

He's also 25 and on pace for nearly 90 homers over two years; for a career rate of almost 40 a season. He's eminently durable, which should not be underestimated on Team Disabled List. And he, you know, walks.

OK, the man is no Tris Speaker in the outfield (although, equipped with major-league wit, he is a pretty good Extemporaneous Speaker). A lot of folks think his natural place is first base, where he acquits himself adequately but Casey holds forth. And so, as it goes, the question often comes down to those two.

Whom do you trade?

There is no window of winning streak, no breakout of bats, no punch-up of pitching that can save the Reds from being sellers at the trading deadline four weeks from now. Their payroll is poorly spent, which means that it will be significantly reduced as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Dan O'Brien, the general manager, has tiptoed through the obvious and double-talked his way to that very deduction.

This brings us to the commodities market that is the Cincinnati clubhouse. Among the irregularities concerning young Dunn is that, having avoided arbitration last year to the jingling of $4.6 million, he stands to make a heck of a lot more from it after this season is over. He'll make, in effect, Casey money.

The Reds can afford both of them, but will probably lead us to believe that they can't. Of the two, Dunn - six years Casey's junior - is more likely to fetch the kind of pitcher the Reds can no longer do without. Nobody else in O'Brien's portfolio offers the exchange value of his left fielder.

But if you trade Dunn in the midst of a youth movement - and there have been rumbles to that effect - how do you explain it to the paying customers? Short of Albert Pujols, who in the game is a more productive hitter at his age?

All of this assumes that the Yankees or Braves or some other well-heeled contender will not be tempted by Griffey's steady march toward his illustrious past. All of it assumes that the Cincinnati landscape will remain overgrown with executive complications - that Carl Lindner isn't traded for an owner who will hire a COO who won't send his general manager to the plate with his shoes tied together.

In the meantime, color Joe Randa gone but don't count on an ace in return; or even a pair of fives. Hope that Austin Kearns is not redeemed at well below market value. Ponder Wily Mo Pena.

Pena is two years younger than Dunn, with every bit the power; nobody in the business has more. He makes $440,000 but after the season will be eligible for first-time arbitration, which will be kind to him. His tools elicit drools. For those reasons, the Reds could perhaps justify retaining him instead of his left-handed counterpart - if, that is, they place no value on two specific items:

If they don't care about a player's capacity for staying in the lineup day after day.

If they don't care about how it all looks.

To trade Dunn would be to cash in whatever good faith remains in the organization; to sell out the few fans whose extraordinary patience has kept them coming to the park.

To trade Dunn would be to perpetuate a rebuilding process that never gets beyond the subfloor.

To trade Casey would be hard. To trade Pena would be hard.

To trade Dunn would be regrettable.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn Deal Doesn't Add Up -Cincinnati Post 7/4

Now that was a good article.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

great article....I hope they hang onto dunn and i have some faith that they will.

excellent article. i should hope they hold onto Dunn and Pena, myself.

<<..To trade Dunn would be to cash in whatever good faith remains in the organization; to sell out the few fans whose extraordinary patience has kept them coming to the park.

To trade Dunn would be to perpetuate a rebuilding process that never gets beyond the subfloor...>>

Glad to see somebody in the media giving voice to what I hope most of us fans are feeling. Trading Adam Dunn could very well lead to a fan mutiny.

Wow. Lonnie Wheeler almost seems to be the lone voice of reason in the Cincinnati media.

Good article. A writer that knows the word sabermetrics, and actually uses it in a body of work. Who'da thunk it?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Best Reds read in quite a while!

---'Roser

Great article.

Agreed 1000%!!! Pena is the Power source who really should be traded I think he should fetch what we need and although he could end up being the biggest mistake to deal (huge ceiling), I believe Dunn will prove to be the better long term player. This is all assuming Jr. and/or Casey can't be dealt for something palatable, which I doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by WeberTime
    Agreed 1000%!!! Pena is the Power source who really should be traded I think he should fetch what we need and although he could end up being the biggest mistake to deal (huge ceiling), I believe Dunn will prove to be the better long term player. This is all assuming Jr. and/or Casey can't be dealt for something palatable, which I doubt.
    Just keep the following in mind.

Pena is 23 years old. The next two years should be huge growth years for him. Remember how far Lopez came between the ages of 23 to 25. Do you really want to trade Pena now? I think he has only scratched the surface of his great ability.

Dunn becomes a free agent after 2007. Is there any real chance he will stay? Will the Reds contend for the next two years while Dunn is still in Cincy?

I'm not advocating a trade of either. But this article ignores key points.

great article, well written

some great quotes in there that had me laughing

If this move turns out to be a win-win, that's already more wins than the Reds usually see in a week.
    that Carl Lindner isn't traded for an owner who will hire a COO who won't send his general manager to the plate with his shoes tied together.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Dunn Kingman strikes out way to much for me. He gets 8-10 mill a year next year and fans are going to aurgue next year about all of his deficiencies. Move him now instead of paying him all that cash. If he turns into Frank Robinson II, then it wont be the first and it wont be the last. He doesnt drive in runs for a slugger of his caliber Im sorry.

Dunn becomes a free agent after 2007. Is there any real chance he will stay? Will the Reds contend for the next two years while Dunn is still in Cincy
    ?

if we offer him what he should be paid, he will stay i would bet.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Dunn Kingman strikes out way to much for me. He gets 8-10 mill a year next year and fans are going to aurgue next year about all of his deficiencies. Move him now instead of paying him all that cash. If he turns into Frank Robinson II, then it wont be the first and it wont be the last. He doesnt drive in runs for a slugger of his caliber Im sorry.
    Dave Kingman-Career .236/.303/.476

Adam Dunn-.248/.383/.518

Dave Kingman never posted an OBP over .343. Adam Dunn has never got on base at less than a .354 clip.

Around 300 of Dunn's 328 plate appearances have come with him batting 5th 6th or 7th. Dunn leads off an inning in what seems like every atbat. It's very difficult to drive in runs when he is being misutilized(burying him down in the order).
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-04-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Turn Off Ads?