Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 7/4 Reds vs. Giants (Encarnacion starting)

Re: 7/4 Reds vs. Giants (Encarnacion starting)

Great play by Lopez.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Lopez with a great play ranging behind the bag to get the third out. Whew.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Durham grounds out to short. 11-9 Reds after 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Cordero was rushed just like Wagner at the exact same time so I'm guessing that rushing players is only bad when it fails by hindsight.
    It fails when it fails. It shouldn't take an organization watching a kid get pummeled night in and night out for two months now to figure somethin' ain't right.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

"The Reds All-Star Shortstop..."

Man, does that ever feel wonderous on the ears.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Wow, great play by Lopez. Aurilia wouldn't have got that ball if he was on a moped.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Scott Munter in to pitch.

Cordero was rushed just like Wagner at the exact same time so I'm guessing that rushing players is only bad when it fails by hindsight.
    NOt the same. You can't tell in the same year. Wait until the next couple of years.

I was just sitting there commenting to my dad that one of these days we're going to look back on Ryan Wagner and wonder what might have been if he'd have been given a chance to develop in the minors. You've got to have more than one pitch to succeed in the majors. And some on this board were saying this all along, so it isn't just hindsight.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Lopez lines out to center. 1 out.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It fails when it fails. It shouldn't take an organization watching a kid get pummeled night in and night out for two months now to figure somethin' ain't right.
    I'm not disagreeing with that. I would like to see him sort his troubles out in the minors for a little while.

My point is that rushing him to the majors wan't that bad of a choice. He did have success for a little while which ended up with most posters clamouring for him to be the new closer. Obviously it hasn't worked out well but I have no doubts that he was reasy when he first came up.

Aurilia lines out to the pitcher. 2 outs.

I'm not disagreeing with that. I would like to see him sort his troubles out in the minors for a little while.

My point is that rushing him to the majors wan't that bad of a choice. He did have success for a little while which ended up with most posters clamouring for him to be the new closer. Obviously it hasn't worked out well but I have no doubts that he was reasy when he first came up.
    I made no such clamor for that. Check the archives. I've always considered Wagner a bit of a suspect--he's never kicked the door down for more than a couple of weeks in his major league career.

Cordero kicked the door down, shot up the place, found their families and shot them.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Having success when your first called up does not mean being called up that soon was a good decision. A lot of guys in the minors could come up and have some success right away, especially pitchers. It's what happens the following two years that matters in evaluating whether it was a good decision or not.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    And some on this board were saying this all along, so it isn't just hindsight.
    I'm not sure about that one I'll have to do some research.

If my memory serves me correct the general consencus was that Wagner was nothing short of god and should have been the closer in his second year in the bigs. I don't remmber many people saying it was a poor decision to bring him up to the majors but I could be wrong on that one.

WHY oh why couldn't this be the game that I sweltered in on Saturday?
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?