Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Into the West

Into the West

Any of you ever see the TNT series 'Into the West"?

I just ran across it today, and watched the first two episodes. I think it's outstanding.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Into the West

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Any of you ever see the TNT series 'Into the West"?

I just ran across it today, and watched the first two episodes. I think it's outstanding.
    Here's a great quote from a native american about it.

"In the roughly 10-minutes of portraying interaction
    with the Mohave tribe, the Indians get drunk, the
    young women immediately offer themselves to the
    explorers and a quiet village of stoic Indians hang
    around camp with no dialogue to speak of. Several were
    wearing $5.00 Mexican blankets available from
    Stuckey?s and Loves Country Stores."
    Sam Lewin 6/9/2005
    http://www.nativetimes.com/index.asp...rticle_id=6580

Sooooo, you're saying you DON'T like it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

You know, I didn't even catch any of that in what I saw. They portrayed the native Americans as very spiritual and pretty noble in the part I've seen so far.

Actually, I haven't seen it. However I will note that indiginous folks always comment that either they are displayed as "primitive" to a fault or overy "spiritual"

Drives many of them up the wall.

I'd have to agree with almost everything I've seen. My sister in law is native american, and we have this discussion a lot.

This one is set in the early 1800's and other than the scene you described, I haven't seen anything I'd call derogatory or racist. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I'd have to agree with almost everything I've seen. My sister in law is native american, and we have this discussion a lot.

This one is set in the early 1800's and other than the scene you described, I haven't seen anything I'd call derogatory or racist. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    I've watched three of them and that was the only part I recall that was like that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I've been watching all along from the first week. They were supposed to have a new one on this weekend, but they never did. Not sure if that was supposed to be the last part.

(They showed Saving Private Ryan so I bawled through that again. )

Anyway, I'm enjoying Into The West except for the incontinuity. It sort of skips so many years that it loses something. I like it, but it isn't gripping me, if that makes sense. I'm having trouble keeping track of the Lakota brothers.

I'm hoping there's one more part at least next weekend.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I've been watching all along from the first week. They were supposed to have a new one on this weekend, but they never did. Not sure if that was supposed to be the last part.

(They showed Saving Private Ryan so I bawled through that again. )

Anyway, I'm enjoying Into The West except for the incontinuity. It sort of skips so many years that it loses something. I like it, but it isn't gripping me, if that makes sense. I'm having trouble keeping track of the Lakota brothers.

I'm hoping there's one more part at least next weekend.
    there is IIRC.
    School's out. What did you expect?

With the Lakotas as the story line, it looks like it will end up with Wounded Knee.

It probably would have helped it I taped them and watched them all over a weekend.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    It probably would have helped it I taped them and watched them all over a weekend.

I hadn't seen it before today, and TNT ran three two-hour episodes in a row. I watched the first two, and tivo'ed the third to watch later.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I so wanted to watch this,but forgot when it started. And I don't want to watch them out of order and be lost. And they aren't labeled or numbered as far as I can tell.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I watched part of it the other day, but there is usually other shows on that I like to watch at the same time.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Did any of these ladies appear in that episode? Because, if so, I'm guessing WOY's First Nations friends wouldn't approve.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?