Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with your name?

Are you happy with your name?

I know not very many of us are on first name's basis, and some of that is to protect the guilty , but I am just so glad I have a cool name, at least I think it is. I won't give a list of what I consider names I'm glad I don't have to keep from offending anyone, but I am so glad my mom avoided certain Christian names.

Ok, I am male, and my first name is Cary. Of course its not without its problems, like misspellings (Carey, Kerry, just to name a few), mistaken for other more common male names (Corey, Harry, Jerry, Gary), and yes, I have gotten made fun of for having a "girl's name." And it rhymes with fairy, which also left me as the butt of a few jokes. But nothing like the problems Jerry Seinfeld claims to have had with "Jerry Jerry Dingleberry" and "Seinsmelled." One time, I had a great combo name with my ex-bro in law, whose nickname was "Cash" for the first initial and his last name, and together we were "Cash and Cary". Pretty cool pun, eh? Too bad we weren't a home run duo

As another part of this, I also was thinking of a name I would prefer other than my own, I've always thought Jeremiah was a cool name.

Anyone else given this one some thought?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are you happy with your name?

I used to loath it, Matt is used really well with lots of fun insults from kids, but I've gotten to like it, Matt's rock, it's also a good short name, nobody hears it wrong and only the occasional one T issue keeps it from being perfect

Go Gators!

Matt is a very cool name. One of my twin's middle name is Matthew, which he only gets called when he is in trouble

Yeah I got Matthew when I was in trouble too, real quiet like..made me wanna run for the hills
    Go Gators!

My name (John) is too common for anyone to have made fun of it. I don't really like the name, but I am the fifth consecutive John, all the way down to my great-great-great grandfather, so I suppose that's kinda cool.

John is cool, unless someone spells it "Jon" or tries to call me "Jonathan." Then trouble starts.

I've also seen some folks try to spell it "Jonh." *shudder*
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Yeah I got Matthew when I was in trouble too, real quiet like..made me wanna run for the hills
    I always got Ronald when I was in trouble and when I was made fun of. It was my first and middle names when I got in trouble, and Ronald McDonald to be made fun of, but that could be worse, so I can't complain.

Tried to talk the wife into Johnny for our last born if she was a he, but she was a she, so it didn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    John is cool, unless someone spells it "Jon" or tries to call me "Jonathan." Then trouble starts.
    The "Jon" spelling bugs me as well, I remember trying to switch to "Johnny" when I was younger, but it never stuck.

My middle name is Thomas, have considered going with "C. Thomas" to go with my sophisticated personality

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21
    The "Jon" spelling bugs me as well, I remember trying to switch to "Johnny" when I was younger, but it never stuck.
    What about Jhonny, as in Peralta

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    What about Jhonny, as in Peralta
    Strange spelling. What's Peralta's nationality? Wouldn't it be pronounced "Honny"?

"Team" is cool because it's all about togetherness and stuff.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    I used to loath it, Matt is used really well with lots of fun insults from kids, but I've gotten to like it, Matt's rock, it's also a good short name, nobody hears it wrong and only the occasional one T issue keeps it from being perfect

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I have a kind of a weird quirk with names.

The only people on this earth that calls me Joshua, is my mother in a fit of angry rage when I was growing up, and my grandmother on my mom's side, who's called me that since the day I was born and I'm sure will continue to do so for the rest of her life.

If you're not either of the above two people and call me that, I'm irritated, and I'll explain why. I have no problems with people calling me "Mr." because most of the time, it's in a professional fashion, where I'm having services performed or paying/getting money or something in a business fashion. In those types of situations, I'll introduce myself as "Josh" and I'm perfectly fine working at that more informal level.
    If someone keeps calling me "Mr." I'll correct them, but I appreciate the effort at starting on the correct foot.

However, if you jump straight to calling me "Joshua", it means you don't know me, and have already jumped into an informal relationship with me without asking.

Like at stores where the clerk already has my card in hand, and asks me "Joshua would you like to sign up for our X" and I'm already not happy about it and you haven't won any brownie points on getting me to do whatever it is you want me to do.

Maybe I'm just a crank, and put more stock into it than I should, but that formality in our society seems to have just disappeared. We're all "buds" and "pals".

I'm a pretty informal guy 99% of the time. Except with that, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

That bug anyone else?

Turn Off Ads?