Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with your name?

Re: Are you happy with your name?

Back in elementry school I used to get into fights all the time over people making fun of my last name. Only so many times you can hear "Raisor-Blade" without snapping, you know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Back in elementry school I used to get into fights all the time over people making fun of my last name. Only so many times you can hear "Raisor-Blade" without snapping, you know.
    My last name is difficult to spell and made me the butt of a few jokes growing up. My wife and I made sure to give our sons simple first names.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Time is the Revelator.

My name is Larry. Nuff' said.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    There's about 1 million guys with my exact same name. From high school on there's been mass confusion. Another guy wit my name got called to the principle's office by mistake once.

In every place I've worked, there's been at least one other person with my name who winds up getting many of my emails, etc....

But I like the name.
    That happened to me in junior high in 8th grade - two other girls in 7th and 9th grades had the same name as me and one was called to the principal's office [not me! ]. It was like what did I do???
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I guess my moniker speaks for itself. I didn't care much for it when I was young, because I always went to school with at least one or two girls named Terri or Teri. But there were always more boys named Terry so it wasn't a huge deal.

Then when I was 15 or 16 my dad sat me down and explained to me how I got my name. I was supposed to be named John, which is both my dad and grandpa's name. That was the plan anyway. But a couple months before I was born my dad was on duty in Vietnam, clearing a path through the jungle when his unit was fired on. Dad was lucky and wasn't hurt, but his best friend was killed just a couple feet from where Dad was standing. His best friend's name was Terry, and I've felt honored to have that name ever since Dad told me how I got it.

My first name is Bruce. It's an OK name and who I am. Starting around junior high, I started getting ribbed about being it being a gay name which I suffered fairly quietly. I figured I liked wimmin so it didn't really matter. My parents called me Brucie which caused me great amounts of grief from friends. Even up into adulthood, they'd slip and call me that at which time I'd wince.

One of the problems with it is that there just isn't much you can do with it for nicknames. My wife calls me Bru sometimes.

Naming our kids, one of the litmus tests was how it would sound at graduation commencement.

I'm with Sundeck on the Mr./Mrs. thing. I really really really hate it when paying a bill with a credit card and they read me first name and call me by it. I usually give them my best withering glare and say "I'm sorry, do I know you?" and then do my best to not let them off the hook. I can be a real SOB if I want.

It's right up there with being called "you guys" by a waitress, i.e. "are you guys ready to order?".

Our kids are instructed to call all adults Mr./Mrs. and God help any of my kids' friends if they address me as "Bruce".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

My wife went to school with a kid named Crystal Lear. Her middle name was Shanda. Really.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I wished they had named me Biggus Dickus instead of RC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 919191
    I don't mind my name. My brother hates his though. It is 919192.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What were your parents names?

Just wondering
    That's easy 897656 and Carolyn- I am bi-ethnic.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I don't particularly like my name or the spelling of it. In fact, when I was in grammar school, I seriously attempted to change it to Jennifer. Maybe I should just start going by my middle name.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    I wished they had named me Biggus Dickus instead of RC.
    Do you know Spartacus?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Do you know Spartacus?
    Who doesn't? the guy is everywhere
    Go Gators!

Do you know Spartacus?
    I was friends with Naughteus Maximus.

Not Laughing

Ok, I am male, and my first name is Cary. Of course its not without its problems, like misspellings (Carey, Kerry, just to name a few), mistaken for other more common male names (Corey, Harry, Jerry, Gary), and yes, I have gotten made fun of for having a "girl's name."
    One of my best friends (male) is named Kerry, and boy did we give him crap about it growing up, so I know what you went through. Thing is, as we have gotten older (late 20's) nobody cares. I don't think he's heard "Kerry the fairy" in like 10 years.

...kids can be mean...

Brian is my name and I have always liked it. Except when people email me and start the email out "Dear Brain.....". Or maybe I should feel flattered? I'm assuming they are making reference to my vast intelligence, right?

I just had a son in March and his name is Evan. I think that's a great name too, I hope he likes it. Not too much to make fun of there...
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    I don't particularly like my name or the spelling of it. In fact, when I was in grammar school, I seriously attempted to change it to Jennifer. Maybe I should just start going by my middle name.
    You mean letsgojennifer?

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?