Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy with your name?

Re: Are you happy with your name?

My first name is pretty hard to make fun of. But Coffey on the other hand.. I'm sure all of you can make about 10 off the top of your heads.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

If I had a dime for every time I heard someone say his or her name is or has been the source of ridicule, I'd have $10 and some change.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    My middle name is Thomas, have considered going with "C. Thomas" to go with my sophisticated personality
    My brother's middle name is Thomas. He did that for a while- it was way cool.
    My name is just solid- Steven. Named after the first martyr. Not sure what my parents were getting at there. I never use the full name though because it sounds like something I'm not, tall.
    I also never thought it was a particularly cool name until my wife told me that my name fits me perfectly; grounded, reliable, just Steve. Those are her words, obviously under the influence of something at the time. But I'm runnin' with it.

We gave our kids names with the expressed intent on them having options that would be cool. Both have names that can be short or long, fun or serious. Whichever they choose.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I don't mind my name. My brother hates his thjough. It is 919192.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191
    I don't mind my name. My brother hates his thjough. It is 919192.
    What were your parents names?

Just wondering
    Go Gators!

My first name is Cujo, so I don't usually get a lot of crap.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I have a kind of a weird quirk with names.

The only people on this earth that calls me Joshua, is my mother in a fit of angry rage when I was growing up, and my grandmother on my mom's side, who's called me that since the day I was born and I'm sure will continue to do so for the rest of her life.

If you're not either of the above two people and call me that, I'm irritated, and I'll explain why. I have no problems with people calling me "Mr." because most of the time, it's in a professional fashion, where I'm having services performed or paying/getting money or something in a business fashion. In those types of situations, I'll introduce myself as "Josh" and I'm perfectly fine working at that more informal level.
    If someone keeps calling me "Mr." I'll correct them, but I appreciate the effort at starting on the correct foot.

However, if you jump straight to calling me "Joshua", it means you don't know me, and have already jumped into an informal relationship with me without asking.

Like at stores where the clerk already has my card in hand, and asks me "Joshua would you like to sign up for our X" and I'm already not happy about it and you haven't won any brownie points on getting me to do whatever it is you want me to do.

Maybe I'm just a crank, and put more stock into it than I should, but that formality in our society seems to have just disappeared. We're all "buds" and "pals".

I'm a pretty informal guy 99% of the time. Except with that, which is a huge pet peeve of mine.

That bug anyone else?
    I used to manage a branch library in the West End. 97% African American. I learned quickly that "Mr." or "Mrs." was the way to addresss adults and that it would be offensive to use someone's first name without knowing them fairly well. I am not sure if the bar was higher for me because I was a white guy in a largely black neighborhood, but people definitely responded to me when I addressed them correctly. That has always stuck with me and I prefer that my kids address people more formally to show respect.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Can't say that I'm unhappy with my name, except that's it's pretty common, I've known at least 10 women with my full name. First name (formal) is Catherine - and it's on everything, from checks to mail orders to doctor visits, etc.. But I go by Cathy or Cath. When I was in school I'd get pretty upset if someone spelled my name with a "K", doesn't bother me now, tho' I thank the person who gets it spelled right the first time. When younger I tried spelling my name [shorten] differently, e.g. Cathi, Cathie. My parents did not give me or my sisters middle names because they felt that our names were already too long. Parents' names are: James Marvin and Helen Catherine. My Dad has since dropped the James. I'm the 4th generation Catherine - the others are my Mom, my great aunt [China Catherine] and my great grandmother [Selena Catherine, who went by Katie - who was married to a Tyra]. My sisters' names are: Claudette, Fredricka [Freddi] and Kimberly [Kim]. My parents never called us by our full names, except for Claudette-can't really shorten her name-when they were mad. I'm really the only daughter that has a true family name - my older sister Claudette was born in 1949 and that name, along with other "ettes" were common - but my Mom's version is that it's a combination of her parents' names, Claude and Rosetta (who was called Ette). Freddi was named after the queen of Greece at the time (1953) but the hospital in CA got it wrong, should have been Fredericka. Everyone thought that my little sister Kim was going to be a boy, so she did not have a girls name. The boys name would have been Timothy Marvin. After the delivery, the ob-gyn asked my Mom what will you name your new daughter, she thought what rhymes with "Tim"? Viola!

The name Kitty was used only once in high school when they were other Cathys. So when the Internet came along, the name was easy to remember and not that far from my true name.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

My name is Richard, which is fine with me, but my family always has called me "Dick" or "Dickie"

However, once I went to middle school, I was honestly afraid of people making fun of my name, so when teachers called the roll at the start of the school year and said "let me know if you go by anything else" I just remained quiet & let "Richard" go.

I think it might have confused some of the people who had gone to elementary school, and even today, if my family ever meets anybody I work with, it's a bit weird, as I'm Richard at work and still the shortened version at home.

Sometimes I wish I had never let myself be so paranoid about the possibility of kids making fun of my name and regret that I did, but that's history now.

(But sometimes, it almost feels like I'm leading 2 lives, with a different name for each.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19

However, if you jump straight to calling me "Joshua", it means you don't know me, and have already jumped into an informal relationship with me without asking.
    My legal name if Randall, but nobody who knows me calls me that. If you are on a first name basis with me, it's Randy. If I get a sales phone call from someone pretending to know me who calls me Randall, there will be no sale. It's really a total giveaway of the caller. If I hear "Hello Randall" I know the caller doesn't know me at all.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder
    My name is Richard
    Your last name isnt "Hand" is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I have no complaints about my name.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

My first name is Don and I am so glad, very glad that my Mom and Dad named me that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,because everyone calls me that.

interesting question...I have no problem with my first name but has often wondered how B.J. Surhoff feels about his :-)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    Your last name isnt "Hand" is it?
    Nope.

(And it's not Head or Cranium or anything like that either.

Turn Off Ads?