Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Computer Question/Problem

Computer Question/Problem

I just put a new (bigger) harddrive in my son's computer and reloaded win 98SE. Everything works fine; but when I go into Control panel and then Display, a couple of the tab options are not there - Desktop and Appearance- so he cannot change the appearance, background, etc.

I really don't know if they were/weren't there when I re-installed everything; but is there anyway I can use the 98 CD and install them without re-formating this computer? Where would I have to go?

Thanks
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Computer Question/Problem

Can you right click on the main windows screen (any free spot) and bring up the display menu/properties?

Yep. And the only tabs present in Display are Screen Saver, Effects, and Settings. Desktop and Appearance tabs are missing.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I'm sorry I'm not a good help. But maybe it has something to do with "Administrator" settings? Maybe he's not allowed those features because he's not authorized?

I know there's various registry entries in XP that prevent certain tabs and shortcuts from being displayed. Our employer makes liberal use of them to frustrate us. I assume 98 is similiar.

I'd do a google groups search on "desktop tab" missing.. Often you find a post telling you how to edit the registry to make it reappear.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?