Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Love Little League Baseball

I Love Little League Baseball

2005 has been another disappointing season of Reds baseball. It has been very difficult to have many positive posts about the Reds this season. But I still love the game, and I absolutely love Little League.
    My 12 year old son is in his final Little League season. After a good regular season, which included his first home run, a grand slam no less, he's playing all star baseball. All star baseball is the first time I've ever pushed him to play any sport, but he's now glad I did.
    His team (Lavalette, WV) began tournament play last night. We really don't expect his team to go all that far. They have some good hitters, but not much pitching (sounds like the Reds, doesn't it?). Last night they played Hite-Saunders, whose all star squad years ago clobbered my final Little League all star team. Last night, my son's team defeated Hite-Saunders in four innings, 25-3. My son was 2 for 2, with a double, an RBI, and 4 runs scored.
    This evening my son's team played a tough Milton team. Milton's pitcher early on was virtually unhittable and Milton grabbed an early 2-0 lead. My son went in as a pinch ruuner in the second and, after a stolen base and a wild pitch, scored Lavalette's first run. Similar "small ball" eventually tied the score a couple of inning later.
    Going into the top of the sixth and final inning it was still tied, 2-2. With the bases loaded my son walked to force in the go-ahead run. He later scored. That was good, but better was his second at bat of the inning. Milton had brought in a lanky kid who quickly blew two fastballs by my son. I frankly expected him to fan, but he hung in there and hit a hard grounder to short. One bad throw later we had two more runs and a crazy dad (that would be me) cheering him on.
    In the bottom of the sixth, a Milton hitter lined a basehit to centerfield. The centerfielder (that would be my son) narrowly missed throwing out the batter before he reached first. No matter-the next hitter struck out and Lavalette won, 11-2.
    Man, this is more fun for me than watching the Reds or going over the latest crazy lineup card used in Cincinnati.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I Love Little League Baseball

Beautiful stuff, RedsBaron.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I look forward to the day that I can "make" my kids play baseball. Seriously. Nice post. I enjoy reading them. Keep us updated.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Very nice post. Little league baseball can be just as interesting to watch as MLB sometimes. (especially when your MLB is below .500 )

Milton got shelled for 11 runs? That doesn't surprise me.

That's what it's all about, isn't it! Sounds like you may have a very good player there Baron, just make sure he keeps having fun.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsandrails
    Milton got shelled for 11 runs? That doesn't surprise me.

Milton got shelled for 11 runs? That doesn't surprise me. [/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing!
    Congrats to you RedsBaron! That has to be a very happy and fulfilling time watching your son play baseball.

Man, I feel for you knowing that your son's Little League days are numbered. My boy is six and made the T-Ball All-Star team (first team) and will be doing the traveling tournaments all month long. After that, he begins "Rookie Ball" this Fall (Coach Pitch).

I am kinda dreading his leaving the T-Ball field because the pressure now begins to mount exponentially from the parents and coaches from this level forward. Hang in there RedsBaron!

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Man, I feel for you knowing that your son's Little League days are numbered. My boy is six and made the T-Ball All-Star team (first team) and will be doing the traveling tournaments all month long. After that, he begins "Rookie Ball" this Fall (Coach Pitch).

I am kinda dreading his leaving the T-Ball field because the pressure now begins to mount exponentially from the parents and coaches from this level forward. Hang in there RedsBaron!
    Thanks Blimpie. I have an eight year old son too (and a 14 year old). I'll probably be going to the Little League fields for another 5 years ( I hope so).
    Meanwhile, my 12 year old has another game at 5:30 p.m. today!
    And by the way, my 12 year old's coaches, and the parents of the other kids, have been absolutely great, pulling for (and helping) each other's kids. It has been a joy.

I know where you're coming from there, RB -- keep it rollin"!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Thanks Blimpie. I have an eight year old son too (and a 14 year old). I'll probably be going to the Little League fields for another 5 years ( I hope so).
    Meanwhile, my 12 year old has another game at 5:30 p.m. today!
    And by the way, my 12 year old's coaches, and the parents of the other kids, have been absolutely great, pulling for (and helping) each other's kids. It has been a joy.
    Our league (shout out to South Lexington Youth Baseball) also has great parents and coaches (both of which I represent), but I there are a few other local leagues that I won't name here that could use some self-policing.

I would rather be at these games than watch any game at GABP. I just hope that time slows down a little for me so that I can cherish the "younger years" while it truly is still a game. My son played five games last Saturday at a tournament and--even that--went by way too fast for me!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I am really jealous of you guys. I would love to have a son to watch play ball, but my wife and I have been married for almost four years and we've not been able to conceive yet. (not from lack of trying) Right now the only way that will happen is with medical intervention and a lot of money. I hope I get to have those experiences someday as well. Congrats to you all.

La Dolce Vita

As I remember it, on the day of a game everything else is a distraction you're just trying to get through so the game can start. Am I close, RB? Even though my son is almost 29 now, I can still bring back the excitement of his Little League All Star days. I remember one Friday picking him up at Kyle Macy Basketball Camp, where he had won the week's Best Shooting Score trophy, and then heading to an all-star game with a South Lexington team (same org. as Blimpie mentioned, older boys though). Fun times.

It's a feeling like no other...part of 'the best years of our lives'....Savor, RB.
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander
    I am really jealous of you guys. I would love to have a son to watch play ball, but my wife and I have been married for almost four years and we've not been able to conceive yet. (not from lack of trying) Right now the only way that will happen is with medical intervention and a lot of money. I hope I get to have those experiences someday as well. Congrats to you all.

My wife and I went through that as well. Eventually, we decided that if we ever had the opportunity to adopt, we would. Two days later her doctor called, advising that one of his patients, an unwed mother, had decided to put her unborn child up for adoption. Ten days later, we were parents, with a beautiful three day old boy, who is now 14 and bigger than me.
    We later had a second son the biological way, the 12 year old mentioned in this thread. Then, just when we thought we were finished with the baby routine, we had a second biological son, our 8 year old.
    I love 'em all. I sincerely hope you get to have these experiences.

Good ol Little League. To tell you guys the truth, I am actually 12 years old and just finished my season. I had 472. average which was decent for our league. I also pitched a complete game shutout.

Turn Off Ads?