Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minn. Cancels '*****house Days' Festival

Minn. Cancels '*****house Days' Festival

http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...50707551231226

Organizers of the first-ever "*****house Days" festival in Gilbert had big plans: a four-poster bed race, a beer mug-sliding contest, a showdown for best-dressed madam.

Now, they're looking for a lawyer, after the City Council's refusal to rent out public buildings effectively killed the festival that was supposed to start this weekend in the small northern Minnesota town.

Almost one-third of the city's businesses signed a petition against the event and dozens of residents protested at council meetings.

"The City Council's acting like it's the Moral Majority or something," said lead organizer Bob Cap. "They really played a number on us."

Gilbert Mayor Bob Garrity said the council did nothing wrong. Council members weren't satisfied with the answers they got when they questioned organizers about the event, he said.

The organizers, Gilbert After Hours, Inc., plan to try again next summer. Meanwhile, they are looking for a lawyer. Their Web site said they want an attorney who is "not afraid of (or connected to) the city government of Gilbert."

The weekend festival, which also was to include a performance of "The Best Little *****house in Gilbert," had attracted almost $50,000 in sponsorships and area hotels were starting to fill up with reservations. Organizers had promised all the events would have been rated G or PG.

Gilbert's history actually includes a period when it was known as a place of saloons and prostitution, in the early years of the 20th century when mining and timber-cutting were in full swing. But Cap acknowledged the name was picked as a marketing tool.

"We figured the shock value would cause some people to say, 'Hey, let's go check that out.'"
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minn. Cancels '*****house Days' Festival

and so ends the only plans i have ever had of visiting Gilbert, Minn.

i suggest Tijuana as alternative site for the summer games

Note to self: Cancel hotel reservations in Gilbert.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Well it was either Gilbert, MN or Daytona, FL for my vacation this year. Looks like I'll be headed south.

I would have gone. I love those kinds of festivals. Would a been a hoot.
    Pots and Kettles

actually, it kind of reminds me of the Underwear Festivals we held in Piqua several years ago. i mean, on paper it sounded REAL exciting, but it mainly consisted of long-johns and the such - seeing the festival was usually held during the chilly Octobers, not much less was going to be worn, anyhow.
    i actually went to one, and it wasn't too bad, compared to other Piqua festivals. actually auctioned off some autographed briefs...seem to remember Bill Clinton and Bush Sr. had pairs in the auction. Bush's went for a higher price.

In a related story, Landon and Anette Pharis have cancelled a planned family outing to Gilbert. Mrs. Pharis was quoted as saying her sixteen year old son was disappointed, as he was looking forward to spending some more time with his grandpa.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit
    actually, it kind of reminds me of the Underwear Festivals we held in Piqua several years ago. i mean, on paper it sounded REAL exciting, but it mainly consisted of long-johns and the such - seeing the festival was usually held during the chilly Octobers, not much less was going to be worn, anyhow.
    i actually went to one, and it wasn't too bad, compared to other Piqua festivals. actually auctioned off some autographed briefs...seem to remember Bill Clinton and Bush Sr. had pairs in the auction. Bush's went for a higher price.
    I had to work that festival. I wasn't a fan. Nothing more ridiculous than seeing the mayor lead a parade in his/her underwear, depending on if it was Lucy Fess or Knobby Cruse in the mayoral seat that year.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Figures. The one time I book a trip through Priceline...
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?