Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Dennis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hurricane Dennis

Hurricane Dennis is now up to sustained winds of 150 mph.

Landfall expected Sunday, most likely in the western Florida panhandle.

NOAA Chart
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Re: Hurricane Dennis

That's a beast!

I don't miss Florida
    Go Gators!

Winds are now at 150 MPH with wind gusts up to 185 MPH. This is a killer storm. Here is the latest projection map:

I thought any storm that big had to carry a female name?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

My daughter is scheduled to return from a missions trip to Panama. She's currently scheduled to fly into Miami on Sunday with a connection to Cincinnati that evening.

Dennis is worrying me that her flights will be all messed up.

Before when a Hurricance would hit somewhere, I'd be pretty ambivilant. Paid a bit more attention when I lived in Texas, but not too much.

Now that I have concerns and worries, I've got a much keener sense of anxiety in relation to this hurricane. I can't even fathom how I'd feel if I lived in the path of it.

For all our members and readers in FL... My thoughts are with you.

Hope it doesn't hit New Orleans head on. That would be a worst case scenario.

Interesting to note that the projected path has it over Cincinnati Wednesday. What type of winds and rain will accompany it that far north?
    Last edited by HotCorner; 07-08-2005 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2844

Interesting to note that the projected path has it over Cincinnati Wednesday. What type of winds and rain will accompany it that far north?
    Not much by then. To my knowledge hurricanes and tropical storms lose a significant amount of force by the time they get that far inland.

Hurricane Q and A
    Last edited by Jaycint; 07-08-2005 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Not much by then. To my knowledge hurricanes and tropical storms lose a significant amount of force by the time they get that far inland.

Hurricane Q and A
    New Orleans has unique problems because it's below sea-level and sits on the south shore of a shallow lake that opens into the gulf. New Orleans hasn't had a direct hit in a long time, and there's no record of a "worst case scenario" storm.

This article kind of explains the unique hurricane related problems facing New Orleans.

Edit: I was hesitant to say anything, since it looks like this one will miss us, thankfully. And I always feel guilty when someone else gets hit.
    Last edited by SandyD; 07-08-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Looks like Pensacola is going to get hit again.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by 2844

It will produce plenty of rain, something like 4-5 inches at least. Not too much wind by the time it get all the way up there.

A squadron of F-15C out of Eglin were at Wright-Patterson flying around all day today.

If you are in the Dayton area, you get a free preview of the airshow a week early.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Cruisin' for trouble

Depends on the forward speed and intensity of the hurricane.

I lived in just outside of Charlotte, NC when Hugo came through. When it made landfall in Charleston, SC it had top sustained winds of 128MPH (some new estimates are indicating that wind speeds are not being measured properly and Hugo was stronger than 128). When it hit Charlotte, which is over 200 miles away, Hugo was still classified as a hurricane. Charlotte was devistated, btw.

A few years later, I lived in Cary, NC which is just south of Raleigh. Hurricane Fran made landfall at Wilmington and was still a hurricane when it passed over Cary more than 130 miles later. They were burning debris at several different dump sites for over a year in the Raleigh area after that.

Neither of the two hurricanes I encountered were nearly as intense as Dennis is at this moment. Dennis is likely to undergo some fluctuation before landfall, but will probably be a major hurricane at that point.

The comforting news is that Cincinnati is considerably further away from possible landfall positions than the cities I lived in. Dennis is not moving fast enough to maintain his intensity for a long period of time once he makes landfall.

However, anyone living within 200 miles of the coast should not take landfalling hurricanes lightly. You'll be unpleasantly surprised.

I'm gonna get hit again.

:thumbdown
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I'm gonna get hit again.

:thumbdown
    Good luck Puffster hopefully it'll spin out and die on the gulf
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?