Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Dennis

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Hurricane Dennis

On behalf of my fellow citizens of South Texas, let me say that we would be happy to take this one off of your hands, Puffy. We need the rain.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Be safe, Puffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint
    Not much by then. To my knowledge hurricanes and tropical storms lose a significant amount of force by the time they get that far inland.

Hurricane Q and A
    New Orleans has unique problems because it's below sea-level and sits on the south shore of a shallow lake that opens into the gulf. New Orleans hasn't had a direct hit in a long time, and there's no record of a "worst case scenario" storm.

This article kind of explains the unique hurricane related problems facing New Orleans.

Edit: I was hesitant to say anything, since it looks like this one will miss us, thankfully. And I always feel guilty when someone else gets hit.
    Last edited by SandyD; 07-08-2005 at 07:57 PM.

Looks like Pensacola is going to get hit again.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Mobile, Alabama is now in the center of the bullseye.

Winds back up to 115 and expected to strenghten. The eye-wall is tight and well defined. All this bodes ill for Mobile and the surrounding area.

Landfall expected tomorrow late in the afternoon, early evening.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Did I hear wrong or did they say this storm is expected to strenghten back into a category 4?

Edit...they just said winds are now up to 125 mph, six mph from a category 4.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-09-2005 at 08:53 PM.

This one is rare on several levels. Most of the Gulf hurricanes I've seen in the last 25 years are losing wind speed as they approach the coast, usually after passing over land in either Cuba or other islands. This one lost it's core, dropped to under 100 mph, and passed over the mountains of Cuba, then re-emerged on the north side and re-formed.

The eye-wall is tight and well defined. The pressure is dropping like a stone, a perfect conditon for strengthening. This situation is very serious.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Weather channel just said we should see category 4 in a few hours.

Please be careful everyone.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

RFS62, what's your source? Our local guys are all being non-commital and saying "somewhere from the Fla Panhandle to the Mississippi coast. I've been surprised, but I've yet to see an official forecast show west of Pensacola.

My boss isn't ready to let us stand down from evacuation, and won't until it makes the turn more to the north that they're promising.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD
    RFS62, what's your source? Our local guys are all being non-commital and saying "somewhere from the Fla Panhandle to the Mississippi coast. I've been surprised, but I've yet to see an official forecast show west of Pensacola.
    I'm not RFS, but here is a little information.

Hurricane Dennis regained some strength and is now a dangerous Category 3 hurricane whose 115 mile per hour winds seem headed for the Florida-Alabama state line, an area that has still not recovered from Hurricane Ivan 10 months ago.
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/...HD7pm001.shtml

The Weather Channel

125 mph winds now, projected to hit land as Cat. 4

My Sister/Brother In Law will not evacuate once again. They live in Crestview, FL (about 45 miles west of Pensacola.) So another sleepless period for me coming up again.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD

My boss isn't ready to let us stand down from evacuation, and won't until it makes the turn more to the north that they're promising.
    From everything i've heard, its expected to make landfall somewhere between Mobile and Pensacola(where there is only a half hour separating them).

My theory is if the storm hits Pensacola, it will level the city(which has yet to recover from Ivan). If it hits Mobile, it will do massive damage to the port, but will still level Pensacola since the storm will curve back that way.

Either way, I thank God above that I did not move down there the week Frances hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'm hearing "between Pascagoula and Pensacola." Hasn't made the turn to NNW yet, which is what has my boss concerned. He's waiting for that turn to take us off alert.

Note: I was traumatized by hurricanes and hurricane stories when I was a kid. I'm amazed how accurate the forecasts are getting, but not completely trustful.

I really feel for the people in harm's way. You know, sometimes these storms weaken as they come ashore, so the winds at land fall aren't quite as strong as indicated. But, not sure how likely that is in this case, if it goes up Mobile Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Thanks GAC - the eye is, as of right now, supposed to hit about 85-100 miles away from me (Pensacola/Alabama border) so that should mean strong winds and lots of rain, but thats it.

However, if it shifts just a smidge eastward, well, I am gonna be evacuated. Which sucks, cause I don't feel like fighting the traffic. But we shall see I guess.
    Puffy, I hate to see anyone get walloped by a hurricane, but I especially hate to see the Pensacola/Emerald Coast areas get it. I spent quite a bit of time at NAS Pensacola. What a beautiful and under rated part of the state that is. Best of luck to ya and all who are in the path. Prayers are with you.

Turn Off Ads?