Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough call on this trade offer...

Tough call on this trade offer...

I've been offered Todd Helton for Troy Glaus.

My current 1Bs are Paul Konerko and Justin Morneau.

My current 3Bs are Glaus and Eric Chavez.

Helton is definitely an upgrade over Morneau and will fill my Utility spot nicely. However, I'd be trading away depth at 3B, and counting on Helton and Chavez to stay hot.

I'm considering making the deal, but I'm still hesitant. My inclination is to play conservative, because I'm currently in first place with a moderate lead. I don't want to do something stupid and throw the season away.

I suppose I could turn around and trade Morneau for a 3B, but his stock is pretty low right now.

Opinions?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tough call on this trade offer...

I think I'd stay put if I was you.
    School's out. What did you expect?

What's your reasoning, pedro?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    What's your reasoning, pedro?
    Mostly that it's better to have 2 at each position a than 3 1B and 1 3B.... because of injuries.

Plus Helton's kind of havinga down year isn't he?
    Last edited by pedro; 07-08-2005 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Mostly that it's better to have 2 at each position a than 3 1B and 1 3B.... because of injuries.

Plus Helton's kind of havinga down year isn't he?
    Helton is having a down year, but in baseball, that is what you look for, a guy having a less than expected year who could tear it up second half. Helton fits that bill. And he will always give you OBP.

There's only so much that cortisone can do. For short periods of time, it's a miracle worker, but at some point, it starts being the dingo that eats the baby. There are tales of surgeons going in and seeing tendons eaten away by cortisone, and even seeing the injected substance held in suspension, not being absorbed at all into the affected area. There's certainly an effect, placebo or not, in most cases. Troy Glaus is making it through the season with a series of injections into his damaged left knee and doing well enough to challenge career highs in many categories. The D'backs--who led the league last season with more than 1,800 DL days--are managing this injury well in the short term, but I question how it might affect Glaus in the next three years of his big-money deal.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=4191

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut
    Helton is having a down year, but in baseball, that is what you look for, a guy having a less than expected year who could tear it up second half. Helton fits that bill. And he will always give you OBP.
    That is true. Generally the "market" does correct itself.

I'd be more concerned with the possibility that Chavez could get hurt and finding a replacement as good as Glaus would be hard.

No. You have Morneau at 1B, he is a stud.

I make this deal every time it's offered. As WOY pointed out, it's been a long time since Glaus stayed healthy for a whole season. Helton is just now starting to heat up, don't miss out on that. Morneau will come around as well, and when he does, if you need a 3B, you can trade Morneau for one. My guess is that Helton hits .330 in the second half with is normal power. Glaus won't do that. Make the deal before its too late.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

As buckeynut said, even if Helton continues slumping, he will still probably out produce Glaus in OBP and AVG. You have to believe the power will come around in Coors field. If Glaus DOES stay healthy, he will probably have more RBI than Helton, but I think Helton heats up after the break and shows his normal production. I'm thinking Glaus spends at least one stint on the DL. Let someone else deal with that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I'm wary of Glaus's bad knee and the fact that he's getting his 3rd cortisone shot of the season tomorrow. I'm also wary of the lack of a decent lineup around Helton. I'll probably see if I can get him to go for a package deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    As buckeynut said, even if Helton continues slumping, he will still probably out produce Glaus in OBP and AVG. You have to believe the power will come around in Coors field. If Glaus DOES stay healthy, he will probably have more RBI than Helton, but I think Helton heats up after the break and shows his normal production. I'm thinking Glaus spends at least one stint on the DL. Let someone else deal with that.
    yes, but will he outproduce Konerko and Morneau enough to risk the lack of depth at 3B?

Here is a trade I was just offered (and I turned it down by the way)

I trade Johan Santana
    Team X trades Ted Lilly

man, I hate stupid offers.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Ted Lilly's been lights out the last month or so, though.

-Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Once again, westofyou was right. Glaus is having problems with his knee. Trade him as soon as possible!!!!!

Troy Glaus is clearly still hurting, with pain behind his left knee.

He has received three cortisone shots in the knee and was favoring the knee and in obvious pain while trying to run out a grounder in the second inning last night. ''You get to a point where it starts affecting other things when you keep playing hurt,'' manager Bob Melvin said. ''I talked to him between innings and he said it's OK, so we'll have to revisit it again.'' It's starting to look like he may shut it down soon, so brace yourself if you own him. Jul. 15 - 8:52 am et
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?