Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Saw Fantastic Four

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Just Saw Fantastic Four

Two words that I think could best be defined with a photo-

Thats the definite positive. It was an okay movie, didnt necessarily blow me away. If anything, I thought it was too juvenile(not near as dark as some of the other Marvel movies, and not near as dramatic as both of the Spidermans)

But hey, if you like Jessica Alba, you will be entertained.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just Saw Fantastic Four

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    But didn't they defeat the purpose of casting her because her character has the superpower of invisibility?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I read somewhere that the Fantastic Four possess essentially the same superpowers as The Incredibles. An interesting coincidence if it's true. Pixar probably lifted the concept, since the F4 date back a couple of decades.

WV, you used the word "juvenile" in your description. Is the movie appropriate for kids?
    /r/reds

Thats the definite positive. It was an okay movie, didnt necessarily blow me away. If anything, I thought it was too juvenile(not near as dark as some of the other Marvel movies, and not near as dramatic as both of the Spidermans)

Gosh, you heterosexuals, always obsessing about sex.....

Anyhoo, I'm assuming you're not familiar with the history of the FF but one thing they are NOT is dark. In other words, don't go seeing it expecting "Batman."

Just got back from seeing it with the kids. I was sorely disappointed. If you were a diehard FF fan growing up, I think you will be bummed out. I was. I understand that Hollywood has to make their so-called updates and storyline changes in order to, I guess, make it more palatable with today's new generation; but IMO, they went too far and took too liberty too much with the characters and the plot (was there one?).

The storyline and character development dragged, and while the special effects were good, they seemed to have more gag lines then action in this one.

I didn't care for the Dr Doom character at all. The Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm characters were pretty much right on cue, but the rest?.... YUCK!

I personally think the whole movie was set up more to promote a sequel, and to sell alot of kid's action figures, when they should have spent more on the plot/storyline on this one.

But Michael Chiklis is a versatile actor. Who else can play both Curley and the Thing?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Oh yeah... the highlight of the day was when I walked into the lobby and was greated by that 8 foot cut-out of Angeline Jolie in Mr and Mrs Smith! As rfs would say...GREAT GOOGALY MOOGALY!

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I read somewhere that the Fantastic Four possess essentially the same superpowers as The Incredibles. An interesting coincidence if it's true. Pixar probably lifted the concept, since the F4 date back a couple of decades.

WV, you used the word "juvenile" in your description. Is the movie appropriate for kids?
    Jessica Alba does strip in it. (twice actually), but she is "invisible". It did have some language as well, but its at your own discretion if you take your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    Anyhoo, I'm assuming you're not familiar with the history of the FF but one thing they are NOT is dark. In other words, don't go seeing it expecting "Batman."
    I was comparing it to the other Marvel movies. Daredevil and Punisher were both dark in their themes. Spiderman wasnt, but it was always designed for kids.(even though the Peter-Mary Jane romance did help mature it a little bit.)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Just got back from seeing it with the kids. I was sorely disappointed. If you were a diehard FF fan growing up, I think you will be bummed out. I was. I understand that Hollywood has to make their so-called updates and storyline changes in order to, I guess, make it more palatable with today's new generation; but IMO, they went too far and took too liberty too much with the characters and the plot (was there one?).

The storyline and character development dragged, and while the special effects were good, they seemed to have more gag lines then action in this one.

I didn't care for the Dr Doom character at all. The Ben Grimm and Johnny Storm characters were pretty much right on cue, but the rest?.... YUCK!

I personally think the whole movie was set up more to promote a sequel, and to sell alot of kid's action figures, when they should have spent more on the plot/storyline on this one.

But Michael Chiklis is a versatile actor. Who else can play both Curley and the Thing?
    I agree with most of what you said GAC, but the characters were right on cue. You had the wimpy scientist Reed Richards, the perfect Sue Storm(I know, Michael), the hotheaded showoff Johnny Storm, and the dark depressed Ben Grimm. Add to that the power hungry Victor Von Doom and the characters added up. Its the outline that I didnt care for.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Man Pills

Is she wearing blue contacts?

I don't know what she's doing, but she's doing it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I think what would've ended up making the flick better is if they had cast different actors for Reed, Sue and Von Doom. They were miscast, plain and simple.

Um, I will say though that the video game is pretty fun. It's a lot like "X-Men Legends" (if anyone cares.)

Fantastic Two
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Fantastic Two
    Was thinking it, was afraid to say it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    I think what would've ended up making the flick better is if they had cast different actors for Reed, Sue and Von Doom. They were miscast, plain and simple.

I think you're exactly right. Ben Grimm - the Thing, and Johnny Storm were excellent. Reed made even me want to smack him upside the head. And I love Jessica, but wrong babe for this part, IMO.

I always thought that Darth Vadar was a blatant ripoff of Dr. Doom. This guy just didn't work in the part.

The Thing was by far the best part of the movie. His suffering was the type of stuff that set Marvel apart back in the day.

This was my favorite comic growing up. I've still got many of the early issues. Reed was my favorite character. I was very disappointed with his treatment in this flick.

Spiderman I and II still tower above all the other Marvel movies, IMO. Even though I wasn't a DC fan, I'd give Batman Begins a close second in the comic/movie adaptations.
    Last edited by RFS62; 07-09-2005 at 12:48 AM.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I think you're exactly right. Ben Grimm - the Thing, and Johnny Storm were excellent. Reed made even me want to smack him upside the head. And I love Jessica, but wrong babe for this part, IMO.

I always thought that Darth Vadar was a blatant ripoff of Dr. Doom. This guy just didn't work in the part.

The Thing was by far the best part of the movie. His suffering was the type of stuff that set Marvel apart back in the day.

This was my favorite comic growing up. I've still got many of the early issues. Reed was my favorite character. I was very disappointed with his treatment in this flick.

Spiderman I and II still tower above all the other Marvel movies, IMO. Even though I wasn't a DC fan, I'd give Batman Begins a close second in the comic/movie adaptations.
    I'd put the X-Men movies right up there with Spidey & Batman.

All of which, by the way, place a distant second to the ultimate comic adaptation movie ever: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!! (notice I did not include the next 2)

Cowabunga Dude!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I put this movie at the same level as the Hulk... the potential was there, but Hollywood screwed it up. They invested more in marketing then in making a quality product. But they succeeded in both cases in probably selling alot of toys and video games.

Anyone see the scene where Stan Lee always makes his guest appearance in these Marvel movies?

Turn Off Ads?