Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: July 8th - Reds vs. Diamondbacks

Re: July 8th - Reds vs. Diamondbacks

I have listened to Marty since he got here in '74 and will always remember him as one of the best if not the best I've ever heard.

Some will say it's because the Reds suck.. but to me it seems Marty cares more about entertaining all the visitors to the radio booth and trying to be funny than he cares about calling PBP.

Sure in the late innings of close games he still makes great calls.
    Just seems to me he enjoys all the little perks of the job but would rather be anywhere else but calling the game.

I'll get neg'ed for sure but it's my honest opinion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow...what a killer good game thread. Tops of a great night...played hookey from work, played cards, made a killing and came home to read a FANTASTIC PBP Gamethread. Thanks to all who contributed and esp. to CTA. A great job bro. If I didn't have to spread rep's around first, you definitely would have gotten some love from me. Well done.

As far as the game goes...good job of settling down by Ortiz tonight. A QS and only 2 mistakes, or so it read out that way. The offense came thru when they needed to, but man...was a dismal start. Jr...yea he's still got it And I agree with the double switch...and the bringing in of Merker to face the 2 lefties. Good, smart moves IMO. Change strategy when the situation dictates it.

Thanks again for a great read up all

And TC...Mint Chocolate Chip...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    I have listened to Marty since he got here in '74 and will always remember him as one of the best if not the best I've ever heard.

Some will say it's because the Reds suck.. but to me it seems Marty cares more about entertaining all the visitors to the radio booth and trying to be funny than he cares about calling PBP.

Sure in the late innings of close games he still makes great calls.
    Just seems to me he enjoys all the little perks of the job but would rather be anywhere else but calling the game.

I'll get neg'ed for sure but it's my honest opinion.
    How in the world did this become a Marty bashing session. I still say listen to the other PBP guys in the league and you'll appreciate Marty (with a couple of exceptions).

My opinion is that Marty does all that because (at least for me) it would be impossible to do the job given the level of play since 2000. Five long years of losing. Make you want to talk about most anything but what's going on in the field. I have a tape somewhere of Marty calling a game in 1999 (you remember...when the Reds were winning) that simply is a thing of beauty. You see how negative things can get on here? Imagine if you had to watch this live and in person every stinking night for 162 games. Might lead you to talk about golf or space aliens.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Imagine if you had to watch this live and in person every stinking night for 162 games.
    Reds baseball in the summertime means a lot to the people who tune in -- decades-long fans and kids just starting out. For Marty to treat it like a helping of castor oil is an absolute disservice to the franchise and its fans, in my opinion.

Turn Off Ads?