Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is it too soon for a movie about 9/11?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, too soon

26 70.27%
  • No, not a big deal

11 29.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too soon: Oliver Stone to make movie about 9/11

Is it too soon: Oliver Stone to make movie about 9/11

Is it too soon to be making a big screen film about this tragedy? People are still mourning the victims, and the war on terror is still raging. Bin Laden is still at large.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/632/632340p1.html

July 08, 2005 - Paramount Pictures has announced that Oscar winners Oliver Stone and Nicolas Cage are teaming up to make a film about the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. The untitled project will focus on the rescue of Port Authority police officers Will Jimeno and John McLoughlin from the ruins of the World Trade Center.

Stone will direct the film, his first effort behind the camera since helming last year's Alexander, and Cage will play McLoughlin. Andrea Berloff penned the screenplay. Michael Shamberg, Stacey Sher and Moritz Borman will produce.

Jimeno and McLoughlin had rushed into the smoldering Twin Towers to help save victims, only to end up trapped under the rubble when the skyscrapers collapsed. Miraculously, they survived, thanks in part to rescuers who reached them before their air supply was exhausted. They were the last two survivors discovered at Ground Zero. Paramount says the film also focuses on their rescuers and their families, who are attempting to find out what happened to the trapped men. The film is a portrayal of how the human spirit rose above the tragic events of that day.

Oliver Stone said in a statement, "Andrea Berloff's screenplay is one of the best that's ever come to me out of the blue I guess like that day. It walloped me and many others with its emotion and simplicity. Clearly, it's a work of collective passion, a serious meditation on what happened, and carries within a compassion that heals. It's an exploration of heroism in our country but is international at the same time in its humanity."

McLoughlin said, "It needs to be told how this horrific tragedy brought Americans and the world together to help those in need. The people involved in putting this movie together are truly making an extraordinary attempt to tell those stories and the stories of those who are no longer with us."

"This film is also a testament to the good that we as human beings are capable of. I have all the confidence in the world that with such a great script that was written by Andrea Berloff and having one of the world's greatest directors, Oliver Stone, who has served his country and knows the price of freedom, this film will be one that will live on for generations to come, not only in America but the world," said Jimeno.

Variety says the film is on the fast-track, with pre-production already underway in New York.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it too soon: Oliver Stone to make movie about 9/11

I really don't agree with this at all, something about turning a modern tragedy into a for-profit sensational drama that bothers me. Hell the "DVD tribute" was sickening enough to me.

Oliver Stone bothers me (he's a joke of a director).

The fact that Al-Qaeda types will welcome the tribute to their dirty work bothers me.

Finally I have no desire to re-live that day and the last thing I want to do is go sit through a re-created freakin' movie of it.

Pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Oliver Stone bothers me (he's a joke of a director).
    Yep, and this just confirms that. Same goes for Cage being a joke of an actor. I wasn't surprised to hear the news, nor was I surprised when I read who was in line to direct. It's embarrassing to the men and women who lost their lives, and who risked their lives in the effort after the attacks.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

I would have to agree with you fellas. Not a Stone fan and I also have no desire to relive that day of my life.

Bad idea.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Will there be a cheesy love-story built into the movie?

If they make this movie, I will not go see it.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

He'll somehow connect it with the Kennedy assassination.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

he'll somehow link this to kennedy,vietnam and whatever else is in the movie it'll be america's fault

Ist there an acceptable time frame? 10 years? 20?

Movies were made about Pearl Harbor within 20-30 years. How old is the Diary of Anne Frank?

FX is putting out a new dramatic series called Over There. The subject is the war in Iraq. Is it a bad idea as well?

I think maybe the timing is the issue, and in fact the only issue. I would want to see a movie on this subject, IF it was done with as much class, decorum and devotion to the truth that Schindler's List, Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan were crafted with.

But yes. It is too soon. When our memories start to fade, when some of us can't quite remember what time or what day or where they were. When our children are old enought to understand how horrific an act it was, but have no memory of it, then. Then make the movie.

We aren't healed enough yet.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I don't think Stone has made a worthwhile movie since Platoon (which was on this weekend by the way )

Wayyy to early. Something this big needs probably 20+ years.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    He'll somehow connect it with the Kennedy assassination.
    Stone is a skilled film maker, but he wouldn't be my first choice to make a movie about 9/11.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Being the conspiratory thinker that he is, he'll probably make one and call it "9-10" and it will be about what our government knew beforehand, but didn't want anyone to know.

How long was it till they made a movie about Pearl Harbor?

Pay attention to the open sky

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

I understand why people are drawing comparisons to Pearl Harbor movie-making and this. However, Pearl Harbor was a military base. It was a surprise attack and many Americans died... but it was a military base.

9-11 was a surprise attack too. However, it was an attack on civilians. Sure the Pentagon was hit and may be considered military in nature, but the vast majority of people injured and killed that day were civilians (typical al queda wusses that they are). While both Pearl Harbor and 9-11 saw the untimely deaths of thousands, there is a HUGE difference.

IMO... typical Hollywood. NO RESPECT for anything or anyone. No such thing as leaving something alone for a RESPECTFUL amount of time. To hell with that when there is money to be made and rumors to be started. Oliver Stone shows his true colors with this idea. And those colors are not respectful... they are selfish and ego-driven colors. Pathetic. I hope Americans show their respect by not giving this fool a damn dime.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 07-11-2005 at 09:18 AM.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Turn Off Ads?