Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

I don't smoke but this seems to be going to far, what's next you can only smoke outside on days that start in S or T?

Lighting up while driving would become a crime if legislation proposed by New Jersey Assemblyman John McKeon (D-Essex) makes it into law. Assembly bill 4306 would allow police to issue an extra $250 ticket to a smoking motorist who is pulled over for a primary offense such as speeding. The bill has the heavyweight support of the Assembly's majority leader, Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen) and has been referred to the Assembly's Transportation Committee for consideration.

McKeon, a foe of smoking, has also introduced a bill, A1281, that would prohibit tobacco and alcohol advertising within 500 feet of a school.

Legislation to curtail smoking in the Garden State has gained some momentum. In March, a state Senate committee approved a bill by a 7-0 vote that would ban smoking in public places. A similar ban is in effect in neighboring New York City. In England, police enforce a ban on driving with a cell phone, water bottle and other "distractions" with automated long-range cameras able to mail thousands of citations.

Article Excerpt:
    ASSEMBLY, No. 4306 As introduced.
    STATE OF NEW JERSEY, 211th LEGISLATURE
    INTRODUCED JUNE 27, 2005

Sponsored by: Assemblyman JOHN F. MCKEON, District 27 (Essex); Assemblywoman LORETTA WEINBERG, District 37 (Bergen)

SYNOPSIS: Prohibits smoking while driving.

An Act prohibiting smoking while driving and supplementing chapter 4 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes.

Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1. a. Smoking by an operator of a moving motor vehicle on a public road or highway shall be unlawful. For the purposes of this act, "smoking" means the burning of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other matter or substance which contains tobacco.

b. Enforcement of this act by State or local law enforcement officers shall be accomplished only as a secondary action when the operator of a motor vehicle has been detained for a violation of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes or another offense.

c. A person who violates this section shall be fined no less than $100 nor more than $250.

d. No motor vehicle points or automobile insurance eligibility points pursuant to section 26 of P.L.1990, c.8 (C.17:33B-14) shall be assessed for this offense.

e. The Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission shall develop and undertake a program to notify and inform the public as to the provisions of this act.

2. This act supersedes and preempts all ordinances of any county or municipality with regard to smoking by an operator of a motor vehicle.

3. This act shall take effect on the first day of the seventh month after enactment, but the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission may take such anticipatory actions in advance of that date as may be necessary for the timely implementation of this act.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

One of the big problems with NJ, BIG GOVERNMENT = Too many laws = Insanely high taxes. Politicians want to stay in office so they can continue to take bribes and line their pockets, so they think making new legislation will make them popular with their constituency. And since Republicans are rarely elected in NJ, the government just keeps getting bigger and taxes keep going up. I don't smoke, but a pack of Marlboros in NJ cost over $6. Here in Ohio same product is $3.60. Hmmm.. thats a lot of taxes. But the NJ politicians will keep adding taxes and making stupid laws in order to fund assinine programs.

And since Republicans are rarely elected in NJ, the government just keeps getting bigger and taxes keep going up. I don't smoke, but a pack of Marlboros in NJ cost over $6. Here in Ohio same product is $3.60. Hmmm.. thats a lot of taxes. But the NJ politicians will keep adding taxes and making stupid laws in order to fund assinine programs.
    Huh, the cigarette tax in OH just kicked in this July and is around $4.12 a pack now.

The cost of living in NJ is noticeably higher than most of Ohio also, "everything" is more expensive up there.

To say republicans keep taxes down for common folk and create smaller, less invasive government is a joke - they are no different than democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknutdet
    One of the big problems with NJ, BIG GOVERNMENT = Too many laws = Insanely high taxes. Politicians want to stay in office so they can continue to take bribes and line their pockets, so they think making new legislation will make them popular with their constituency. And since Republicans are rarely elected in NJ, the government just keeps getting bigger and taxes keep going up. I don't smoke, but a pack of Marlboros in NJ cost over $6. Here in Ohio same product is $3.60. Hmmm.. thats a lot of taxes. But the NJ politicians will keep adding taxes and making stupid laws in order to fund assinine programs.
    Our problems in NJ are courtesy of both Republicans and Democrats. The gov't is horribly corrupt here.

Our gas tax is low, though. Among the lowest in the nation. However, that may change soon.

I lived there for a few years and just moved back, I know the gov't is corrupt. Cigarrettes don't cost more in NJ, just b/c of cost of living, they cost more b/c they are taxed much more heavily. Do you think it cost more to ship them there? Taxes figure into that cost of living. Repubs are much more likley to not tax you than dems, don't be naive about that. People in NJ, just keep believe the lies the politicians keep tellling them and keep voting for liberal democrats. Even a democrat who is conservative is referred to as a "Newt" in NJ elections. If you like the taxes keep voting the way you do.

If you like the taxes keep voting the way you do.
    How do you presume to know which way I vote?

They can tax cigarettes to high heaven for all I care. They're taxed even heavier in NJ. People in NY drive to NJ to buy cigs -- and gas.

Property Taxes went through the roof when we had a Republican Governor. Dems and Reps in NJ all find a way to line the coffers...may be different taxes, but they're taxes nonetheless.

I live in Texas and the property taxes and sales taxes are the highest I have ever experienced. I rather have a state income tax where everyone can pay their fair share.

Taxes figure into that cost of living. Repubs are much more likley to not tax you than dems, don't be naive about that.
    Really? So why am I paying more taxes in a repbulcian state than I did in California, a more liberal state?
    Last edited by RBA; 07-11-2005 at 12:16 PM.

Repubs are much more likley to not tax you than dems, don't be naive about that.
    It's naive to think that Repubs don't increase taxes. They do. They also increase gov't spending and increase the federal deficit.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

In fairness, Gov. Whitman (R) did cut income taxes during her tenure, but she also borrowed against the Transportation Trust Fund, which is now in such financial trouble that the current solution is to double our gas tax or get used to potholes.

A positive note, however, is that most people in NJ drive SUVs, so potholes shouldn't be that big of a problem. :

For a Level Playing Field

Anyhow...

I think this idea is ridiculous. I don't smoke, but this bill is ridiculous (did I say that yet?). I always think it is a good idea to pay attention while driving. Obviously smoking a cigarette (up to mouth, ashing in ashtray, etc) is a bit of a distraction. But not so big that they need to enact this craziness. People have smoked and drove for many years before this lunatic/anti-smoking zealot legislator was born. I venture to guess that using a cell phone in the car causes a lot more accidents than smoking in the car. To venture another guess... the anti-smoking legislator uses a cell phone while driving. Go figure.

I see these threads a lot and quite honestly I don't understand why.

Anybody in a state legislature with a personal axe to grind can introduce a silly bill. Doesn't mean it has any chance of getting passed. There are plenty of real, substantive, meaningful political issues to discuss rather than somebody writing up a stupid law to get publicity.

I don't smoke, and I hate the smell of smoke. I ask that people not smoke in my house or car, and I consider that to be reasonable and fully within my rights. However, once the venue is out of my control, I have no expectation that others will go out of their way to cater to my wishes. The only, and I mean ONLY time that I would consider asking someone to put it out is in a restaurant where the smoke is affecting my enjoyment of the food. Other than that, do what you want.

It wasn't a statement regarding your vote, but a statement regarding the voting behaviour of NJ in general. My my, everyone gets so touchy.

So having zero state income tax in TX doesn't offset higher property taxes?(this is simply a ? so please don't take it the wrong way or be offended) How much higher are property taxes? The sales tax is an equitable tax, those who have more spend more and pay more tax, those with less probably(or should) spend less therefore they pay less.
    Last edited by bucknutdet; 07-11-2005 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    I live in Texas and the property taxes and sales taxes are the highest I have ever experienced. I rather have a state income tax where everyone can pay their fair share.
    Live in the great state of New York and you can have all three!!

LOL, no doubt NYMOose

Well put DSmith. No one has the "right" to not be offended by others legal actions. Sometimes we just have to "put up with it" or compromise with the other party.

It wasn't a statement regarding your vote, but a statement regarding the voting behaviour of NJ in general. My my, everyone gets so touchy.

So having zero state income tax in TX doesn't offset higher property taxes?(this is simply a ? so please don't take it the wrong way or be offended) How much higher are property taxes? The sales tax is an equitable tax, those who have more spend more and pay more tax, those with less probably(or should) spend less therefore they pay less?
    No it doesn't. In this state items such as clothes, cars, appliances, insect repellant, etc are neccesities. Yes, people that make less should spend less, but how do you go without such items in Texas?

If you have a million dollar yearly income and choose to live in middle class housing, how is that paying your fair shair of taxes?

Turn Off Ads?