Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

Re: New Jersey Legislator Wants to Ban Smoking in Your Car

Clothes cars and insect repellant share the same status in most states and in my experience all are subject to sales tax.

As far as those making a million and living in middle class housing, that seems to me a personal choice. I guess they are saving a lot of money. But I would guess they are buying a lot of things too, those items are taxed. Anyone with the means can live where ever they want and are taxed the appropriately for that property. It is the fault of tax system in TX if they arent getting the appropriate tax revenue from those tax payers.

When I lived in TX I thought govt services seemed to meet people's needs and I didn't think I was taxed unfairly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The sales tax is an equitable tax, those who have more spend more and pay more tax, those with less probably(or should) spend less therefore they pay less.
    It's actually a regressive tax, because it hits people with low incomes much harder.

Someone making $25,000 a year is going to spend a much higher percentage of their earnings on taxable goods then someone making $200,000 a year.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

People have smoked and drove for many years before this lunatic/anti-smoking zealot legislator was born.
    Exactly, it's not like cell phones (although CB radios were just fine in the 70's) where it's a new technology that has caused a problem. It's so obvious, smoking has been around while driving since the darn things were invented. So is it a safety issue or just a round-a-bout way of penalizing people who smoke?

Instead of penalizing people who are hopelessly (in a lot of cases) addicted to them, why not penalize or change the behavior of those who produce the things? (if politicians really give a damn about people, which they don't but pretend they do)

This is just blackmail of sorts, finding ridiculous ways via the stronghold of police authority over the roadways to extract money from taxpayers to cover up the inadequacies and deficits created by incompetent politicans on all sides of the coin...new ways of generating revenues.

Our government is corrupt and in bed with corporate interests to it's core and that'll never change and I blame all of them, not just one side.

Quote Originally Posted by bucknutdet
    It wasn't a statement regarding your vote, but a statement regarding the voting behaviour of NJ in general. My my, everyone gets so touchy.
    I misunderstood your use of the word "you" -- and I wasn't really being "touchy," I just asked how you reached the conclusion. No big deal.

I should mention that in NJ, we don't pay sales tax on food and clothing, for what it's worth. A lot of NY'ers shop here -- I think Manhattan has an 8.25% sales tax.

If anyone tries to take my cigarette while I'm driving, I'll beat them with my cell phone!

"Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

LOL, and then throw my BigMac, large fries and large coke at 'em

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    If anyone tries to take my cigarette while I'm driving, I'll beat them with my cell phone!

I think it's a dumb law, too. Good to see my state legislators tackling the tough issues.

Rediculous.

I don't smoke, and nobody I'm really close to does...but I'm very much against the smoking ban since it's private property. This is just going too far. Where are the freedoms?

They are being taken away piece by piece...so that nobody cares at any given time....
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Turn Off Ads?