Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I must admit that last night was the first time that I sat down and watched this movie and found myself quite amused by the antics. The galloping and the coconuts, the French insulter, the debate with the peasant, I thought it was pure comic genius. And my five year old twins were quite enamored as well, but more because the guys were somewhat dressed in medieval garb and were somewhat carrying swords, which is their favorite type of show to watch.

So, what is your favorite part of this movie? Should I watch the other Monty Python flicks?

BTW, I thought of this guy a few times.
    Last edited by traderumor; 07-12-2005 at 01:13 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"I thought we lived in a collective autonomy?"

Yes, you should watch other Monty Python flicks, TR. They are great. My personal favorite would have to be the Meaning of Life. But you probably won't want to watch that with the kids.
    Last edited by rdiersin; 07-12-2005 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I must admit that last night was the first time that I sat down and watched this movie and found myself quite amused by the antics. The galloping and the coconuts, the French insulter, the debate with the peasant, I thought it was pure comic genius. And my five year old twins were quite enamored as well, but more because the guys were somewhat dressed in medieval garb and were somewhat carrying swords, which is their favorite type of show to watch.

So, what is your favorite part of this movie? Should I watch the other Monty Python flicks?
    I grew up watching Python and would recommend any of their other movies (basically, The Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life)...pure genius IMO.

FWIW, the broadway version of the Holy Grail ("Spamalot") is doing quite well...

My wife's late brother was apparently quite the Python fan, she did say the twins and I would have to watch "The Life of Brian" She's not quite the fan of such humor, though, doesn't get most of it.

"Let me face the peril"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor

I think the best part was the part with the Black Knight. "You're arm's off." "No it isn't." "What's that, then?" "I've had worse."

Life of Brian is just as good. rdiersin is probably right. MOL is not exactly a family movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

There are parts of Life of Brian not suitable for family viewing as well.

"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm from the school that says anything done by Monty Python should be watched and memorized.

tr, just a brief warning on "Life of Brian", I think it's hysterical, but not everyone yowls at crucifixion comedy ("Who are you calling Jewish? I'm not Jewish! I'm a Samaritan!" "A Samaritan? This is supposed to be a Jewish section.").

And, as a rule, I wouldn't recommend "Life of Brian" or "Meaning of Life" for the wee ones. The television shows are fine, but the movies can get a bit racy.

"Dinsdale was a perfectly normal person in every way. Except inasmuch as he was convinced that he was being watched by a giant hedgehog he referred to as Spiny Norman. "
    Last edited by M2; 07-12-2005 at 01:36 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I will never forget the time during one of my years at college when the late Graham Chapman (a.k.a. King Arthur) came to speak to a very small assembly and do some Q & A with the students. Because this was circa 1985-86, he had plenty of time to reflect on his life and Python fame, etc...

This was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my early adult life. He was so incredibly funny and candid it was hard to describe. Because the Python series and the subsequent movies basically introduced me to intelligent comedy, I had tons of questions.

One time, I asked Graham to recall what his fondest memories were while filming the Holy Grail. His reply was that he didn't remember much about the filming at all. You see, while they filmed the movie, Graham was a "rampaging alcoholic" (his phrase) who was consuming a fifth of vodka every morning prior to shooting any scenes. Due to the filming schedule the other Pythoners were trying to maintain, they saw no alternative but to make him quit drinking COLD TURKEY during the rest of the shoot. He said his only recollection after that day was that of endless shivering in the rain and cold--in his suit of armor--while experiencing massive case of DT's....

Long live Arthur, King of the Britons

One of my favorite lines from the "Dead Parrot" sketch:

Pet Store Owner: "He's not dead, he's stunned."
    Customer: "Stunned? he's bleeding demised."
    Pet Store Owner: "Oh no, the Norwegian Blue--they stun easily..."

I knew that it would invoke memories for many. Thanks for the warning for the little ones, perhaps Holy Grail was tame? because there were only a few racy moments in that, and I'm pretty conservative when it comes to that kind of stuff.

A very small scene just cracked me up, when at the beginning there was the debate on how the coconuts being used to simulate the galloping sound made it to Britain and they were carried there by the swallows, IIRC, and then about halfway through the movie, there was a very quick shot of a guy testing the theory, had a cocunut affixed to a bird

Spamalot won the Tony Award for Best Musical this year. I own the CD and it's hilarious. It features Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, and Hank Azaria.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Spamalot won the Tony Award for Best Musical this year. I own the CD and it's hilarious. It features Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce, and Hank Azaria.
    When Spamalot was previewing in Chicago my daughter and son-in-law bought tickets well in advance. Alas and alack! They forgot the date, and when they checked the tickets found they had missed it by a day. Talking about upset! They were hoping for bad reviews to ease the pain a bit, but no such luck. I'm not sure they are even ready for teasing about it yet.
    teach tolerance.

Actually, it got great reviews, but I've talked to a few people who saw it and while they said it was really good, it was a bit to gimmicky for them. From listening to the music, I can see that. It's really good, but I can see how it's a little too predictable.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I enjoyed it...extremely funny. On thing I noticed was that at times the actors seemed to be having too much fun delivering punchlines, IMO. One of the aspects of Python that makes them so funny is that they deliver most of their lines extremely deadpan.

However, I did see it in preview, and they were probably still working on cast chemistry.

They also blew the "Killer Rabbit scene" the night I went...which led to Azaria -- staying in his Tim the Enchanter character/accent "Oooh, that worked much better in rehersal"

Turn Off Ads?