Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ncaa 2006

Ncaa 2006

Anyone get the game??

I'll tell you I skipped buying last years game and must have missed a lot. Its tough to pass on this one.

What's everyone think?? Any tips??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ncaa 2006

It was impossible to pass on last years version, well it was possible but the only passes that ever seemed to work were 50 yarders down the field, short passing? not gonna happen.

I may hold off on buying this one if they still have the "drop pass = fun game" thing going on.
    Go Gators!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'm boycotting EA football games until next gen.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Bought it tonight after I got off work, going to play it tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    It was impossible to pass on last years version, well it was possible but the only passes that ever seemed to work were 50 yarders down the field, short passing? not gonna happen.

I may hold off on buying this one if they still have the "drop pass = fun game" thing going on.
    I had the exact opposite experience with last year's version: I could run a relatively effective short-passing attack with a lot of quick over-the-middle plays (thank you Bruce Gradkowski and your 70+% completion percentage), but once you threw more than 15-20 yards downfield, you ran into the "uber-DB" problem, where the corners and safetys would instinctively react to where the ball was being thrown, even if their backs were turned, and would end up bunching up around recievers downfield.

They'd also know to time their jumps and swat anything away that came close to them. It was impossible to burn DBs deep because even when your man got behind the secondary, the DB who was burnt would (at a dead sprint) leap 5 feet into the air and swat the football just as it was coming down. No matter how bad or slow the DBs ratings were or how fast your wideout was, he wasn't getting behind them with any regularity.

I bought '06 last night, and the only thing I can say thus far is that game feels tons smoother. It plays a lot more like Madden (which is frustrating, since they altered the default controller scheme) than last year, and the graphics look like they've been given a nice update as well.

PLUS, they finally answered my yearly request and included Riptide, the Tulane Mascot as well as the Toledo Rocketman.

I'll post more thoughts tomorrow...stupid work interfereing with my game playing.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I'm on vacation this week and have thus had plenty of time to play 06', so far I think it is much much better then last years game. I have not struggled to pass the ball at all and it is an extremely challenging game playing on heisman. So far I really have no complaints about the game.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed

I can see that already. I run a play out of the 5 wide set that has 2 WR's on my left side, they run about 10 yards and cross and I'll throw to the one that croses toward the middle of the field and he gets I dunno maybe 25-30 yards a catch and he is open and catches it probably 70 percent of the time. No YAC simply because the pass takes so long and the D is on him as soon as he catches it.

I miss the short and sharp outside routes that NCAA 2004 had. I haven't really found them on NCAA 2006. There are no real quick outs that I have found. Maybe they work too good.

My thoughts-

If you are looking for the Madden of college sports, this would be the game. The graphics are great(although I wish Corso, Herbstreit, and Nessler were more real), and the control is vastly improved from 03, which was the last NCAA game I purchased.

The Heisman Mode is a great addition, and it looks like its going to go in well with the Superstar mode on Madden. You start out in workouts and get scholarship offers depending on how well you do, then you have to work out and win games and build your stock up and try to win the Heisman. You can then transfer your player out to the NFL Draft and into Madden.

I've got to admit, I love the Dynasty mode. That is what makes this game great. I started with Miami and am heading into my third season and have brought in a loaded WR freshman class(1st, 4th, and 5th in the nation) and have two excellent receivers to spare.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Here are my "quick thoughts" on NCAA 2006 so far:

* Wow, this game plays a TON faster than any of the previous versions. Everything seems to happen more quickly, which is good.

* Graphics seem to be heavily upgraded from last year; the uniforms look like they have real, raised numbering on them, and don't look like "skins" over top of the players anymore.

* Man, you spend millions to make a new graphics engine, and you can't get Nessler, Corso and Herbstreit into the studio to record a new set of commentary? They literally haven't changed the basic PBP since NCAA 2004.

* The "Impact Player" iso-shots are annyoing

* The new controller setup (for PS2) cost me the first game I played. There isn't a "tuck and run" button anymore, which means X is the all-time sprint button for QBs, Triangle now throws to a reciever (whereas it used to be the "throw away" button), and the L2 "tuck and run" button now throws the ball away. I went to sprint for a first down with my QB, hit L2 instinctively, and dumped the ball away for a loss of down. That habit is going to be REAL hard to break.

Similarly, on D now the Circle button switches players (used to be X) and the X button sprints (used to be O). There appears to be no reason for the switch, other than to make X the uniform sprinting button. Again, I've used the same setup for so long that it's now instinctive to press O to spring towards the QB on the rush, and then hit X as soon as the ball is thrown to get the man covering for a knock or a pick. I got burned deep 3 times in my first game for accidentally switching to the DB too early and having him charge in, leaving his man wide open.

This is going to take some adjusting to.

* ALRIGHT...Riptide and Rocketman in the game!

* The EA Trax selection is mediocre.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Thanks for the rundown CE..I'll have to get it now, my one HUGE complaint other then dropped passes last year was how slow the game played..good to hear they sped it up.
    Go Gators!

I would really like to buy this game, but is it out for computer? I have looked online and have not seen any for sale on computer yet. I was planning on running to Best Buy or Walmart or somewhere to make sure it is out there in a computer format. I can't imagine it wouldn't be, I bought MVP Baseball 2005 the first week it was out for computer, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    I would really like to buy this game, but is it out for computer? I have looked online and have not seen any for sale on computer yet. I was planning on running to Best Buy or Walmart or somewhere to make sure it is out there in a computer format. I can't imagine it wouldn't be, I bought MVP Baseball 2005 the first week it was out for computer, but I'm not sure.
    EA doesnt make college games for the PC. To my knowledge, they never have.

They did for awhile, I think 1999 was the last version on the PC
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?