Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Songs from the 1970's

Re: Worst Songs from the 1970's

Stand Tall -- Burton Cummings

Let Her In -- John Travolta

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

BTW Muskrat Love is actually a song by America.

Captain and Tenille did a cover adding the annoying little "muskratty" sounds...(ugh).

Don't Give Up on Us Baby -- Hutch (from Starsky & Hutch)...is up there with "Muskrat Love" (in that mushy category) IMO.
    Last edited by oneupper; 07-14-2005 at 10:05 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Rush -- Take a Friend
    You win the prize.

The prize being, of course, that you never have to listen to that song again.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

I know that it may be popular again because of Anchorman but I alway thought it was awful in a funny way

Afternoon Delight
    ( Starland Vocal Band )

Gonna find my baby, gonna hold her tight
    Gonna grab some afternoon delight
    My motto's always been 'when it's right, it's right'
    Why wait until the middle of a cold dark night?
    When everything's a little clearer in the light of day
    And we know the night is always gonna be there any way

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
    Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
    Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
    And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting
    Sky rockets in flight
    Afternoon delight
    Afternoon delight
    Afternoon delight

Started out this morning feeling so polite
    I always though a fish could not be caught who wouldn't bite
    But you've got some bait a waitin' and I think I might try nibbling
    A little afternoon delight
    Sky rockets in flight
    Afternoon delight
    Afternoon delight
    Afternoon delight

Please be waiting for me, baby, when I come around
    We could make a lot of lovin' 'for the sun goes down

Thinkin' of you's workin' up my appetite
    Looking forward to a little afternoon delight
    Rubbin' sticks and stones together makes the sparks ingite
    And the thought of lovin' you is getting so exciting
    Sky rockets in flight
    Afternoon delight
    Afternoon delight
    Afternoon delight

Afternoon delight!
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

So many of the songs in the 70's had so much overt innuendo that it's amazing they could play them in those days. The FCC was a tad stricter then.

That being said... I survived Disco and oh how I hated it.

I was listening to KISS, Pink Floyd, the Eagles, Boston, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, etc...

The wonderful woman who would become my wife was a Manilow, Bread, other soft sappy artist type and I've had to endure my fair share of the sap...

Although for some reason that's hard even for me to understand, I did like Manilow's "Weekend in New England"....

Can we forget....
    Don’t Go Breaking My Heart," Kiki Dee & Elton John
    A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock and Roll" - Donnie And Marie Osmond
    "You're Having My Baby" - Paul Anka
    Silly Love Songs" by Paul McCartney (How the mighty fell)
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" a 1970s song?

because if so, I nominate that.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I grew up in the 70's and really like most of the songs mentioned on this thread-even Wildfire and almost everything by America. I also like those dumb story songs Billy Don't be a Hero-Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods, The Night Chicago Died-Paper Lace, Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia-Vicki Lawrence, etc. A few nominations though

Chuck E's in Love-Rickie Lee Jones
    Makin It-David Naughton
    Da Do Ron Ron-Shaun Cassidy
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Hellen Reddy -I am Woman
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Does anyone else remember that Gong Show episode where every contestant sang "Feelings"?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Wow, I was only three, wonder why it scarred me so? Maybe it was the "Hi! I'm Glean Cambull" show? Never was a big fan. :

It also strikes me as odd that a thread such as this, which is so opinion based (and musical threads are about as opinionated as political threads) why there are the "can't believe someone considers that a bad song," especially when no one has defined what qualifies something as a bad song? Is this a music critic thread or a personal opinion thread? By the way, "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" being released in '69 is kind of splitting a hair for criticism of my choice. It's a sappy song with sappy lyrics.
    Its called taste.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Wow, I was only three, wonder why it scarred me so? Maybe it was the "Hi! I'm Glean Cambull" show? Never was a big fan. :

It also strikes me as odd that a thread such as this, which is so opinion based (and musical threads are about as opinionated as political threads) why there are the "can't believe someone considers that a bad song," especially when no one has defined what qualifies something as a bad song? Is this a music critic thread or a personal opinion thread? By the way, "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" being released in '69 is kind of splitting a hair for criticism of my choice. It's a sappy song with sappy lyrics.
    That's what makes these threads fun. Of course everyone is going to have a different opinion of what constitutes fingernails on the chalk board. I don;t think anyone means any harm when they disagree.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

boomersooner

I kinda like the song "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. BUt the song that I hate and I can't stand is YMCA. That song is just plain stoooooooopid.

"I am a lineman for the county...."

by Peter Blackstock

Those unforgettable words first rang out of the radio in 1968, with songwriter Jimmy Webb's majestic melody gliding on the wings of Glen Campbell's sweetly aching, longing croon into the No. 3 spot on the Billboard charts a few weeks later. It was the only time "Wichita Lineman" was a hit, but far from the last time it was recorded. More than 50 versions of the song have been committed to wax, with the remakes ranging from country to pop to soft-rock to hard-rock to soul to folk to jazz to muzak. Perhaps most significant has been the recent revival of the song, with contemporary artists from R.E.M. to Freedy Johnston to the Scud Mountain Boys hoppin' the Wichita train.

So here's a critical assessment of the 10 best versions:

10. Tennessee Ernie Ford, from The New Wave: Pop plus Country plus Rock (Capitol, circa 1969). A simple, straightforward recording that coasts on the strength of Ford's rich, warm vocal.

9. Jose Feliciano, from Encore! Jose Feliciano's Finest Performances (RCA, 1971). He may wanna wish you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of his heart, but he's also got a fine, subtle touch with an acoustic guitar, as this gracefully understated instrumental demonstrates.

8. Urge Overkill, single, circa 1988; also available on the Americruiser/Jesus Urge Superstar double CD reissue (Touch & Go, 1990). It appears Urge was at the forefront of the "Wichita" revival. For pure wall-of-guitar grandeur, this is the clear winner (though in truth it's toned down a bit from Urge's usual wail, and that's a good thing in this case).

7. Ray Charles, from Volcanic Action of My Soul (ABC, circa 1970). It's pretty easy for Ray to tackle just about any song and put himself in the Top 10. Bonus points for spoken-word ad-lib near the end: "And the Wichita Lineman – that's me, baby – is still on the line!"

6. Ghost Of An American Airman, from Skin (Hollywood, 1993). A remarkably well-done, radio-ready anthemic-rock read highlighted by Dodge McKay's strong vocal performance. The relatively slick UK rockers actually outdo Urge in terms of sheer bombast.

5. Chris & Carla, from Shelter For An Evening (Sub Pop Europe, 1993). The most drastically reworked cut of the bunch is turned in by Walkabouts leaders Chris Eckman and Carla Torgerson performing as an acoustic duo. Eckman says the darker melodic turns were a result of never quite figuring out the proper chords, which is just as well, because this version brings out a haunting magic that wasn't there originally.

4. Maria McKee, bonus track from a U.K. CD-single of "I Can't Make It Alone" (1993, Geffen). I'm not sure whether the atmosphere here was carefully staged or spontaneously captured, but this sounds like it was recorded in a fern bar populated by about 10 people who had no idea who McKee was. The slight background patter enhances the feel of this beautiful piano-and-vocal-only version – the only one on record to date by a female solo artist.

3. O.C. Smith, from For Once in My Life (Columbia, circa 1969). You'd think the most soulful version of "Wichita Lineman" would be the one recorded by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, or perhaps the one by the Originals, or maybe Tom Jones' effort. But O.C. Smith far and away outsmokes 'em all. He rips through "Wichita" with a smoothly burnin' 'n' churnin' energy so infectious that he pulls off the finest musical reinterpretation of the song to date.

2. Glen Campbell, from Wichita Lineman (Capitol, 1968). There's a reason this one was the big hit: It's far and away the crowning moment of Campbell's considerable career. More than 25 years later, this is still the definitive version, capable of bringing back a flood of childhood memories and an uncommon case of the chills when it reaches the line, "And I need you more than want you/And I want you for all time."

1. Joe Reisman & His Orchestra, from Happiness Is (nine-LP compilation, Reader's Digest/RCA Custom, 1970). What the hell?! you're probably thinking to yourself right about now. A muzak version at the top of the list?

OK, here's the deal: More than anything, what makes "Wichita Lineman" a classic song, and what makes Jimmy Webb a classic songwriter, is melody, pure and simple. Sure, Webb also has a gift of sorts for words – ya gotta hand it to a guy who's willing to go so far out on a limb sometimes that he falls flat on his ass ("Someone left the cake out in the rain" from "MacArthur Park"; "Goddamn you and your dirty joke" from "Gayla"). Especially when it sometimes results in wonders such as "Love is a glass of wine balanced on the siderail of a ship" ("Asleep on the Wind") – or, "And I need you more than want you / And I want you for all time."

But without Webb's abnormally exquisite sense of melody, the words would be merely misplaced poetry. It's the way Webb works in and out of standard keys, over and around the notes you might expect, and somehow finds a musical direction to move the soul that makes the magic in "Wichita Lineman."

As such, the potential for the most pure expression of this song lies with instrumental versions. Not that all of 'em are good: Believe me, I suffered through countless takes by the Peter Neros and Lenny Dees of the world to find one that reached beyond mere elevator fodder. Reisman's arrangement – from the tender, countrified harmonica strain at the start, to the masterfully gradual full-orchestra climax, to the denouement return to that simple harmonica – is nothing short of perfection.

Also-rans....
    VOCAL – Alan Copeland Singers; Andy Williams; Billy Sherrill Group; Brothers Four; Eddy Arnold; Flying Saucers; Freedy Johnston; Jack Greene; Jim Nabors; Jimmy Webb (live); Lonesome Valley Singers; Meters; Nashville Country Singers; Originals; Ray Charles Singers; Ray Conniff & The Singers; Rusty Draper; Scud Mountain Boys; Smokey Robinson & The Miracles; The Lettermen; Tom Jones; Tony Joe White.

INSTRUMENTAL – 101 Strings Plus Guitars Galore; Ace Cannon; Al Caiola; Al De Lory; Al Hirt; Arthur Fiedler & The Boston Pops; Bob White; Boots Randolph; Frank Chacksfield; Glenn Miller Orchestra; Heartaches; Jose Feliciano; Lenny Dee; Longines Symphonette Society; Peter Nero; Ronnie Aldrich; The Sounds Of Our Times; Tony Mottola.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Its called taste.
    Oh brother. So what you like constitutes taste. Duly noted.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    "Rock and Roll Part 1" by Gary Glitter actually is the worst song ever.
    Agreed. Please tell that to every "marketing" person that works for an NBA team?
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?