Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Songs from the 1970's

Re: Worst Songs from the 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Rush -- Take a Friend
    Hey, that song may have cheesy lyrics--but it has a killer guitar solo in the middle of it...
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

2. Turn Off Ads?

"Copacabana" - Barry Manilow
    "Indian Reservation" - The Raiders
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

"Half Breed"--Cher
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Hey, that song may have cheesy lyrics--but it has a killer guitar solo in the middle of it...
    Yeah, that was back when they were ripping off Zeppelin. I perosnally prefer Alex Lifeson's later solos, when he had developed his own style.

And goodness, yes, the lyrics are awful, as are most on their first album.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Oh brother. So what you like constitutes taste. Duly noted.
    No, what I like constitutes "good taste". Of course greater writers and thinkers than us have discussed and argued this subject, but I submit that when it comes to art there are certain absolutes. Like Duke Ellington said, there's only two kinds of music- good music and bad music. Now you may argue that Britney Spears is a greater artist than Miles Davis or that your 3 year old's finger painting is a greater work of art than the Mona Lisa, and you would be entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't mean your opinion has a lot of merit. Whether you judge a song by its position on the charts, how many awards it has received, how many other artists have covered it, or what professional writers say about it (see post 58), or just that innate sense that allows us to judge "Like a Rolling Stone" a more worthwhile work of Art than "Disco Duck", I submit that anyone who calls "Wichita Lineman" or "Bridge over Troubled Water" "bad" songs, simply doesn't listen to much music. Or just has poor taste. Its like someone calling "The Night Watch" a terrible painting. You have a right to that opinion, but most people, particularly most experts, would disagree with you.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    No, what I like constitutes "good taste". Of course greater writers and thinkers than us have discussed and argued this subject, but I submit that when it comes to art there are certain absolutes. Like Duke Ellington said, there's only two kinds of music- good music and bad music. Now you may argue that Britney Spears is a greater artist than Miles Davis or that your 3 year old's finger painting is a greater work of art than the Mona Lisa, and you would be entitled to your opinion. But that doesn't mean your opinion has a lot of merit. Whether you judge a song by its position on the charts, how many awards it has received, how many other artists have covered it, or what professional writers say about it (see post 58), or just that innate sense that allows us to judge "Like a Rolling Stone" a more worthwhile work of Art than "Disco Duck", I submit that anyone who calls "Wichita Lineman" or "Bridge over Troubled Water" "bad" songs, simply doesn't listen to much music. Or just has poor taste. Its like someone calling "The Night Watch" a terrible painting. You have a right to that opinion, but most people, particularly most experts, would disagree with you.
    "Absolutes in art" is not something I would agree with you on. Anytime folks start talking about "good and bad" in music, especially with popular music of various genres, everyone has their own absolutes, which, by defintion, means there are no absolutes. How about just leaving this subject to folks' opinions and asking them why if you disagree, rather than trying to uphold your "good taste" as the only valid opinion?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I tend not to believe in "absolutes in art" because I view all art as subjective.

I personally don't have much appreciation for twisted hunks of metal that are deemed to be "sculptures" and placed in front of the Hirschorn Museum. There are some, though, that would argue that they are the most phenomenal works of art to grace our great planet.

Musically, it's difficult for me to understand why someone would think "bridge Over Troubled Water" is a bad song, but perhaps they prefer louder music, or there's something in the melody they don't like, or what have you. The point being, artistic taste is completely subjective, and simply because a majority of experts hold a particular piece in high esteem does not necessarily mean that it is absolutely "good."

I am reminded of John Cage's piece, "4:34", which consists of four minutes and thirty four seconds of silence. The "music" in the piece is whatever background noise happens to occur during this time. Obviously, Cage's intent was to stretch the definition of what we consider to be "art" or "music".

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Yeah, that was back when they were ripping off Zeppelin. I perosnally prefer Alex Lifeson's later solos, when he had developed his own style.

And goodness, yes, the lyrics are awful, as are most on their first album.
    I assume you mean "ripping off Page" and not Led Zeppelin. I find zero similarities between the two groups during that era of their music.

I agree that Rush's lyrics were never memorable until Neil Peart began writing most of them. Of course, he wasn't the drummer on Rush's first album. However, you must admit that songs like "Working Man" or "Finding My Way" will always be considered great rock songs because of their music--not their lyrics.

I assume you mean "ripping off Page" and not Led Zeppelin. I find zero similarities between the two groups during that era of their music.

I agree that Rush's lyrics were never memorable until Neil Peart began writing most of them. Of course, he wasn't the drummer on Rush's first album. However, you must admit that songs like "Working Man" or "Finding My Way" will always be considered great rock songs because of their music--not their lyrics.
    Well, Rush used to play a bunch of Zeppelin covers in their early sets, and I remember a bio of the band where geddy lee stated that Zeppelin were one of the bands they tried to emulate early on, between his singing, Alex's guitar playing and John Rutney's drumming. I mean, you may not hear Zeppelin in early Rush tunes, but its pretty clear from the band themselves that they were an early influence on the band's career.

As far as Working Man goes, I always found the riff to be more annoying than anything...i guess the song rocks, but considering what they did later in their career, I think the song, and the entire album, is really sub-par. REALLY sub-par.

Shakespeare vs. Britney Spears- What is Art?

http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/britney_spears.htm

Well, Rush used to play a bunch of Zeppelin covers in their early sets, and I remember a bio of the band where geddy lee stated that Zeppelin were one of the bands they tried to emulate early on, between his singing, Alex's guitar playing and John Rutney's drumming. I mean, you may not hear Zeppelin in early Rush tunes, but its pretty clear from the band themselves that they were an early influence on the band's career.

As far as Working Man goes, I always found the riff to be more annoying than anything...i guess the song rocks, but considering what they did later in their career, I think the song, and the entire album, is really sub-par. REALLY sub-par.
    I think you mean, John Rutsey--the Pete Best of American Bands. With regards to being influenced by Zeppelin, there wasn't a single rock band writing music during that era that could say anything different...
    Last edited by Blimpie; 07-14-2005 at 02:54 PM.

With regards to being influenced by Zeppelin, there wasn't a single rock band writing music during that era that could say anything different...
    If true, I hope they didn't give Zep credit. It would be ironic pay back for the biggest ripoffs in the history of R & R. No band can compete with these guys for stealing music from their forebears and putting their own names on it. Nobody can compete with them for the number of lawsuits brought against them for this abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    If true, I hope they didn't give Zep credit. It would be ironic pay back for the biggest ripoffs in the history of R & R. No band can compete with these guys for stealing music from their forebears and putting their own names on it. Nobody can compete with them for the number of lawsuits brought against them for this abuse.
    Nor can they compete with the sheer number of (Zeppelin) imitators and wannabes that were formed for many years hence as a result of their music.

By the way, in my estimations, lawsuits usually follow money...
    Last edited by Blimpie; 07-14-2005 at 03:09 PM.

I've never personally cared much for Zeppelin. There are other, far better bands in r & R, in my opinion. And John Bonham has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. Yes, he was competent and occasionally excessive and overblown, but I can think of many, many drummers I have heard whom i would place ahead of John Bonham.

I've never personally cared much for Zeppelin. There are other, far better bands in r & R, in my opinion. And John Bonham has to be one of the most overrated drummers of all time. Yes, he was competent and occasionally excessive and overblown, but I can think of many, many drummers I have heard whom i would place ahead of John Bonham.
    I agree with you on Bonham as a drummer. I would take Keith Moon or Neil Peart over him any day.

Turn Off Ads?