Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooter says don't watch Dukes Movie

Cooter says don't watch Dukes Movie

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2...130328000.html

'Cooter' Urges Fans to Skip 'Dukes' Movie

If television's "Crazy Cooter" has his way, fans of the "Dukes of Hazzard" may be speeding away from a new movie version of the cornpone classic faster than the Duke boys running from Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

Ben Jones, a former Georgia congressman who played the wisecracking mechanic on the popular series from 1979-85, said profanity and sexual content in the film make a mockery of the family friendly show.

"Basically, they trashed our show," said Jones, who now lives in the mountains of Washington, Va. "It's one thing to do whatever movie they want to do, but to take a classic family show and do that is like taking "I Love Lucy" and making her a crackhead or something."

Jones said he read a script of the movie, which is scheduled to be released next month, and that it contained profanity, "constant sexual innuendo and some very clear sexual situations."

On Wednesday, Jones wrote an open letter to fans on his web site, cootersplace.com, urging them to stay away.

"From all I have seen and heard, the "Dukes" movie is a sleazy insult to all of us who have cared about the "Dukes of Hazzard" for so long ... ," Jones wrote. "Unless they clean it up before the August 5th release date I would strongly recommend that true blue Dukes fans hold their noses and pass this one up."

A spokeswoman at Warner Brothers pictures, which is releasing the movie, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment on Wednesday.

"The Dukes of Hazzard" was a surprise hit for CBS, combining with "Dallas" to earn some of the highest Friday-night ratings in television history.

The show pitted "good-ol' boys" Bo and Luke Duke and their moonshine-running Uncle Jesse against the crooked politician Boss Hogg and his bumbling henchman, Sheriff Coltrane, in fictional Hazzard County.

Reruns of the show began airing on the CMT network this year, earning some of the best ratings ever on the country music cable channel.

In the movie, Johnny Knoxville, who made his name on MTV's controversial stuntfest "Jackass," and Seann William Scott, who starred in the raunchy "American Pie" movies, play the main characters.

Pop star turned reality TV icon Jessica Simpson plays Daisy Duke.

Jones was elected to Congress in 1988 as a Democrat. He lost his bid for a third term in 1992 after his district was redrawn, then lost two other bids for House seats, one in Georgia and another in Virginia.

He owns Cooter's Place, a "Dukes" memorabilia shop in Gatlinburg, Tenn. and plans to open another in Nashville. He also is an organizer of "Dukesfest," an annual outdoor concert and convention celebrating the show in Bristol, Tenn.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cooter says don't watch Dukes Movie

Yeah i tend to agree with him - that cheesey Simpson video was the worst - I have absolutely no desire to see this movie and never will. It looks incredibly stupid/bad. I'll just watch the reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackerJack
    Yeah i tend to agree with him - that cheesey Simpson video was the worst - I have absolutely no desire to see this movie and never will. It looks incredibly stupid/bad. I'll just watch the reruns.
    If that video was "cheesy," then color me a Wisconsin Badger.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    If that video was "cheesy," then color me a Wisconsin Badger.

You asked for it, Blimpie

It may have been cheesey, the music may have been bad, but taken in proper context (which is "none"), that video gained some appreciation from me.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Oh, where to start.

I love the irony of a guy named "Cooter" complaining about too much sexual inuendo.

If this movie is substantially different from the original, that can only be a good thing. Maybe I'll go see it. I've tried to watch old episodes on Cable TV, and it's painful to get through 5 minutes.

One of my friends' parents didn't let him watch the show when we were kids, saying it would "rot his brain." They were right. He turned out smarter than the rest of us.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Yeah, I can almost see the family friendlies.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Man... the real Daisy Duke could roll take a roll in Uncle Jesse's barn w/ me anytime. I almost forgot why I used to watch that show back in the day. It sure as hell wasn't the General Lee.

Sorry, Cooter. You are wrong.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Cooter talks about how family oriented the show was, but I seem to remember Uncle Jessie illegally running moonshine and the Dukes not obeying traffic laws...

Sex is bad, moonshine is okay.
    If you're watchin' a parade, make sure you stand in one spot, don't follow it, it never changes. And if the parade is boring, run in the opposite direction, you will fast-foward the parade. --Mitch Hedberg

Didn't plan on it. Didn't care for the show, and the movie looks horrible.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

I think of the Dukes of Hazzard is possibe the worst TV show of all time. It did have a following, so I am sure some people will go to the theatre to see the movie. I can't understand why, but they will. My prediction though is it will be at a video store near you by September.

Previews of this movie don't do the real "Dukes of Hazzard" any justice. Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg? What a joke!

Incidently, there is a Hazard, Ky. Is that supposed to be the setting for the show or did it take place in a fictional Georgia town? I always wondered.

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Just got back from watching it, and Cooter is right.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

Its not even worth Jessica Simpson. Everything from Sean William Scott and Johnny Knoxville just seemed so fake, and there was some pretty rough language in this movie as well.

I was really looking forward to this movie, and it was a disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

One reviewer called it road kill

That got a chuckle out of me
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Cooter talks about how family oriented the show was, but I seem to remember Uncle Jessie illegally running moonshine and the Dukes not obeying traffic laws....
    Yes, and portraying the police as complete morons, having fist fights quite often, etc.

I watched the show when it was on. It was harmless, but definitely not a work of art
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?