Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bob Nightengale: Reds offer of Sabathia for Dunn was rejected

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Bob Nightengale: Reds offer of Sabathia for Dunn was rejected

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/c...4-majors_x.htm

The Reds asked the Indians for ace C.C. Sabathia in return for outfielder Adam Dunn, which the Indians promptly rejected. ...
    More about the Reds

The Reds are trying to act coy, but instead they're coming across as a mass act of confusion. They eventually will shop outfielders Austin Kearns and Adam Dunn, first baseman Sean Casey, third baseman Joe Randa and starter Eric Milton.

There are at least four teams interested in Dunn, including the Astros, Dodgers, Indians and Nationals, but they are wary about his salary rising from $4.6 million to about $7 million in salary arbitration. Kearns will attract considerable interest once he's on the market. But the guy who may draw the most attention could be Randa. The Twins and Padres both want him and are willing to offer top prospects. Ken Griffey Jr., who has no-trade rights, says that it's highly unlikely that he would approve any deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bob Nightengale: Reds offer of Sabathia for Dunn was rejected

Thank you Indians! I've always thought of Mark Shapiro as one of game's best GM's, but he really messed up on this.

Sabathia is fat and overrated. Sabathia has posted an ERA under 4.00 only once in his five years career, and his k/9 rate continues to decline.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-14-2005 at 04:16 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I don't buy that at all. Sabathia could easily be replaced and is about to get VERY expensive with the new LT deal he signed.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I can't see Cleveland turning down that deal. I am glad they did if that is what happenned. DanO is brilliant. :thumbdown
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

The article brings up a point that I have made a long time ago. Teams know that Dunn is going to have an astronomical price tag next year. The Reds waited too long to trade Dunn (if that was their plan). They used up all his cheap years while "rebuilding".
    Now he's going to be expensive next year. That outweighs his youth/production. A team can get an impact bat as a FA for 7-8 million/year without giving up a good starting pitcher.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I like Randa and the job he's done for us, but if you can get "top" prospects for him, let the bidding war begin.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    The article brings up a point that I have made a long time ago. Teams know that Dunn is going to have an astronomical price tag next year. The Reds waited too long to trade Dunn (if that was their plan). They used up all his cheap years while "rebuilding".
    Now he's going to be expensive next year. That outweighs his youth/production. A team can get an impact bat as a FA for 7-8 million/year without giving up a good starting pitcher.
    I don't see $7M as being overly high for Dunn next year and some other team that knows what it's doing might offer him an LTC and succeed where the Reds have failed (alas, I'm beginning to believe that the Reds will never offer Adam longterm)

If the Reds have indeed hesitated too long and can't find someone to offer up a decent package - woe to Dan0 and the front office if they accept a steaming pile of dreck for AD just to move him for payroll considerations. I just don't believe that a half-decent GM couldn't find someone to give them an attractive package of top prospectsfor Adam, at least.

I'd move Sabathia for Dunn too, but perhaps Shapiro's figuring he can't survive any downgrade in his rotation while he can get a corner OF elsewhere.

Mind you, I'm guessing if Shapiro said yes, DanO would back away from the deal. He's probably just asking for Sabathia to be provocative.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    He's probably just asking for Sabathia to be provocative.
    DanO, provocative? That's one word I wouldn't use to describe him.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    DanO, provocative? That's one word I wouldn't use to describe him.
    I get the sense he likes to pretend he is in trade negotiations. He just figures out who the other team isn't moving and asks for that guy. Makes him feel like a tough customer when in reality he's just wasting everyone's time, including his own.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Thank goodness for Cleveland
    Go Gators!

Dunn may be getting expensive but Sabathia is going to get paid $25M for 2006-2008.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    Dunn may be getting expensive but Sabathia is going to get paid $25M for 2006-2008.
    Precisely why this story probably isn't true.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa
    True, but perhaps Cleveland wants to horde pitching. I have a feeling that if the roles were somewhat reversed, most Reds fans would not want to trade someone they perceived as a stud starting pitcher for a corner OF (no matter how good that OF was).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I've got this feeling that Dunn is going to Houston, and very soon. Nothing I've heard, just a feeling. Houston called up Astacio today for some reason. Remember that rumor we heard a couple weeks ago?

Turn Off Ads?